Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

In regards the Santamaria rumour. Maybe Luiz has been brought as a rotation option for McGinn and Grealish NOT as a DM 🤔 Santamaria sounds like just the player we need if so to compliment Nakamba ... good to have options but most likely it’s agent BS ... 

53 minutes ago, Jareth said:

With Nakamba's medical today I have to say this is the greatest window ever. I mean, we made the best of 'the lights are still on at BMH' when we got Dawkins. And we had some fun the window before relegation. But this window, beats them all, by so many miles I can't even remember who we signed first. Total ambition from the owners. 

If memory serves and it usually doesn’t, I think Jota was our first signing 

• Like 2

Mitch Clark gone to Leicester on a free, I had actually forgotten that we had released him. Thought it was strange considering how much he played on loan last year.

Anyways, absolutely Marvelous window so far, nuts to think we are one of the highest spenders in Europe, never mind the PL. I know we did this before with Tactics Tim but unlike Tim, I have great faith in Deano to make this work. Our squad has such an impressive strength in depth with what feels like 2 strong players in each position pushing each other for places and I read somewhere last night that for each player brought in, they all seem to have a 'buddy' or someone who speaks the same language which is a very shwred move to help the settling in process. The three loans signing, Trez and Elmo from Egypt, Targett and Grealish from Eng U21 days, Luiz and Wesley from Brazil, Wesley, Nakamba and Engels from Brugge/Belgium. smooth tranasfer moves by Deano and the NSWE, seriously good vibes at the moment :flag:

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Bomvilla7 said:

Mitch Clark gone to Leicester on a free, I had actually forgotten that we had released him. Thought it was strange considering how much he played on loan last year.

Anyways, absolutely Marvelous window so far, nuts to think we are one of the highest spenders in Europe, never mind the PL. I know we did this before with Tactics Tim but unlike Tim, I have great faith in Deano to make this work. Our squad has such an impressive strength in depth with what feels like 2 strong players in each position pushing each other for places and I read somewhere last night that for each player brought in, they all seem to have a 'buddy' or someone who speaks the same language which is a very shwred move to help the settling in process. The three loans signing, Trez and Elmo from Egypt, Targett and Grealish from Eng U21 days, Luiz and Wesley from Brazil, Wesley, Nakamba and Engels from Brugge/Belgium. smooth tranasfer moves by Deano and the NSWE, seriously good vibes at the moment :flag:

I think it’s a mental thing with Mitch Clark, in terms of natural talent, he’s great but I saw him swearing at a referee once at a youth team match. I think his attitude let’s him down that’s why we got rid of him, that’s my opinion, probably completely wrong but I thought I’d throw it out there :)

Don’t forget that Konsa and Hause also played for the England u21s too

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

In regards the Santamaria rumour. Maybe Luiz has been brought as a rotation option for McGinn and Grealish NOT as a DM 🤔 Santamaria sounds like just the player we need if so to compliment Nakamba ... good to have options but most likely it’s agent BS ... 

Including Lansbury and excluding Birkir, we have 6 players competing for 3 positions. Pueslow stated that this is what they were aiming for. I don't see any other central midfielders coming in unless Lansbury leaves. Smith seems to like him, so I imagine any connection with midfielders is old news / paper bs. 

Edited by Made In Aston
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Including Lansbury and excluding Birkir, we have 6 players competing for 3 positions. Pueslow stated that this is what they were aiming for. I don't see any other central midfielders coming in unless Lansbury leaves. Smith seems to like him, so I imagine any connection with midfielders is old news / paper bs. 

Agree it’s probs just old news rehashed or agent putting our name out there to raise the cost. That said he would be an upgrade on Lansbury who for me does not warrant the contract he is on vs ability and worth to the team ... I would sell both Thor & Lansbury. Maybe could offer Lansbury & Chester plus £££ to stoke for Butland ... 

Hoping on the goalkeeper front we end up with either Benítez or Butland - both 26 and for me could hold their own in a top 10 team (which, providing we stay up comfortably this season, has to be the aim over the next 2-3 years). Etheridge and Heaton, whilst decent shot stoppers, would probably have to be moved on in a year or 2 as our ambitions become greater, whereas Benítez or Butland could hold the shirt for the next 10 years imo.

More money to get either of them but a much better investment on the whole.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

wasnt Ronaldo 33 when he joined Juventus for 80m???

Yeh but to be fair he is arguably the most famous player in the world. They would probably make that much back with shirt sales alone.

Anymore examples and then I’ll explain where I’m going with this. Might surprise a few.

2 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Can't me many, Glenn Murray?

Can’t think of many. Which is why I was amazed Doug sanctioned a 3 million pound move for a 33 year old David Ginola 19 years ago! 

Crazy!!

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

I’m starting to suspect sites like HITC aren’t too worried about editorial standards...

Villa have been splashing the cash in the transfer market so far this summer, strengthening Steve Bruce's squad with 10 signings”

I’d be going mad if we hadn’t made any signings and we just had click bait articles and twitter to sustain us!

• Haha 1

Thread has gone quiet, but get this we could still have a third of our signings still left to do. A goalkeeper, another DM, a winger and a striker, and will probably end up with some random bonus player.

3 minutes ago, useless said:

Thread has gone quiet, but get this we could still have a third of our signings still left to do. A goalkeeper, another DM, a winger and a striker, and will probably end up with some random bonus player.

I think you might be being optimistic. 

We'll almost definitely get a goalkeeper, DM, and Striker, and whilst I don't think we're desperate for a winger, I can imagine us making an exception if there looks to be any indication that Benrahama might be available. MIght make a few signings for our U23s as well.

2 hours ago, thabucks said:

Agree it’s probs just old news rehashed or agent putting our name out there to raise the cost. That said he would be an upgrade on Lansbury who for me does not warrant the contract he is on vs ability and worth to the team ... I would sell both Thor & Lansbury. Maybe could offer Lansbury & Chester plus £££ to stoke for Butland ... 

Santamaria isn't remotely similar player to Lansbury. He's out and out DM. I've written off Lansbury in the past but he's been one of stand out players in pre season. 

Edited by Kiwivillan