Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Seems unlikely we would spend £22 million on an unknown brazilian striker if money was tight 

Plus it’s all about finding value and not throwing excess ££££ at the problem where better value can be sort elsewhere. I also agree we need to be scouring the whole of europe and beyond and like Wesley I personally believe we will sign players out of nowhere from the abroad. 

9 minutes ago, Daweii said:

Baulking at £20 million players we likely don't think are worth £20 million is a massive difference. Promotion was worth £170 million alone and that's without counting the money Wes and Nas are likely chomping at the bit to spend themselves. Our budget is likely north of £200 million if needed, but unlike years of old Villa aren't being reckless. Those in charge know we need players, but they aren't in the business of being taken for a ride either. 

I'm sorry but there is no way we spend over £200m. It would be insane to do so and we have no reason to believe that NSWE want to make that level of investment.

Even if they did, it would risk the entire club to throw £200m at it in year one. The £170m for getting promoted is over 3 years and we already had a gap of £60m last year so had to sell our ground. We'd be insane to spend the lot this summer.

Edited by HalfTimePost

7 hours ago, Monsieur Hazdazler said:

This kinda thing concerns me for the window but the season ahead, Smith has plenty of support, but I’ve seen a lot of people saying they expect us to finish mid table or some have said even top half. I think there needs to be something of a realistic removal of the rose tinted specs...

1) we came up through the playoffs so statistically are the most likely side to go back down

2) we went up with a lot of loan players, many aren’t still with the club 

3) we are having a significant squad turnover this summer 

We are clearly doing some well thought out work in the market, not scatter gun, focused around a preferred playing style which is a huge plus. However given where we finished and squad turnover we have a long way to go to survive in the league this season. We could do really well, but there’s an awful lot of variables at the moment.

My biggest concern is opinion turns against Smith if we start poorly, I hope we are better than that, but judging on people’s expectations I am somewhat concerned some fans will end up making things really tough it it starts badly. Even if we went down I’d want to seen Smith continue, no question, I think people are underestimating how challenging it is going to be this year given the situation we are in.

Completely agree with this.

I expect us to start badly but improve as season progresses.I think if people are prepared for this and fans give Smith time to get things right we can avoid relegation next season.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Londonastonvilla said:

Completely agree with this.

I expect us to start badly but improve as season progresses.I think if people are prepared for this and fans give Smith time to get things right we can avoid relegation next season.

I concur... 

as what was quoted, i am concerned with the few that will turn against Smith if we do start badly.... or when we go on the inevitable bad run. I have a feeling that performances will be decent but results won’t go our way for a while. 

Id put money on it that that the management team are just as frustrated as us that signings haven’t been coming in. It sucks yes but i would rather be in this position and kinda starting with a core than still having all the players we had released turn up this week. 

Edited by Jimmyg

If we start the season poorly or when we have a bad run of games it’s inevitable some fans will turn on Smith and probably even the players.

Its the nature of the beast.

Im hoping Villa park stays supportive all season though and at no times because toxic. Fans will be needed for the big games against relegation rivals.

keeping on topic. I expect 2 in next week.

I had read that Cahill wanted to stay in London. If he's now had a change of heart, then I would suspect that JT may have utilised his powers of persuasion on him.

His signing would fill a gap and leave us with the bulk of our transfer kitty available for other purchases. Let's see if this one does happen, or if news of a proposed deal hurries London clubs into making their counter offers to his agent.

24 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we start the season poorly or when we have a bad run of games it’s inevitable some fans will turn on Smith and probably even the players.

Its the nature of the beast.

Im hoping Villa park stays supportive all season though and at no times because toxic. Fans will be needed for the big games against relegation rivals.

keeping on topic. I expect 2 in next week.

With one in the hole?

20 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

We're completely clean slate now finacially. We have lots of commercial deals coming into effect, TV revenue is huge, we'll perhaps be on TV more than average, season ticket sales and crowds will be at record levels and the owners can put in x amount of their own money to boot.

I would not rule out incredible levels of spending. Thats not the same as expecting or demanding it, however, we need so many new players and soon. We're a year ahead of schedule according to their targets so will need to upscale year 1 and combine it with year 2 over the next month.

They knew this. Thats why we let so many go. They're not ignorant to sport and how much it costs to service at elite level. Personally I think we'll spend at least another 100m. Even then, some bargains will have to be had. We'll have to look at loans with options too. Money is their concern and not particularly compelling of itself. What we get for it is far more interesting and vital.

There's a plan. They know their onions and  I would say the next couple of weeks could be (will be) sensational.*

*If it's not, they're a set of bastards.

This is a brilliant post.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hippo said:

Yep - that's as I see it. I wonder if DS has as much available funds as we first thought- as we have baulked at several £20m players.

....although I think a lot will happen in the final couple weeks.

I was thinking the same thing, I’m not sure if we have less funds than thought or if we’re adamant we won’t overpay. Either way we’ll find out soon enough.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Depends if that's what he wants (based on the last sentence it sounds like it) if JT sells us based on his experience of us supporting him through his badges (and JT sounds very happy here) then that might work 

But he should be lined up for 4th choice so playing time wouldn't be good

That’s how I feel, so maybe we’re not his best option. I’m sure he’d be happier joining one of the lesser London teams.

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Depends if that's what he wants (based on the last sentence it sounds like it) if JT sells us based on his experience of us supporting him through his badges (and JT sounds very happy here) then that might work 

But he should be lined up for 4th choice so playing time wouldn't be good

No way! Cahill signs he starts! 

I don’t think we are going to find a better centre half than Cahill this summer! 

• Like 1

Not sure on bringing Cahill back at all.

Villa have been moving forwards since DS has come to the club so signing a player coming to the end of his career and on massive wages would be a step back into the bad old days at the Villa. Just can’t see it happening under the current regime.

I also don’t think Villa have baulked at any asking price beyond negotiation. That’s why it’s probably taking time to push more signings through.

Really no-one knows who Villa are interested in and what the asking price of players are beyond the usual paper talk or guesswork by fans.

Just sit back and relax because AVFC are in good hands with the right financial backing to do what’s needed.

• Like 2

Cahill,  NewCB, Chester and Hause.   Hmmmmmmm. My enthusiasm has taken a knock since Tuanzebe is not coming...

Okay Cahill will be okay for a season but we Need another solid CB alongside him. Tuanzebe/Mings but I think Mings is also dragging on to long. We need another solid Centre back.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Cahill,  NewCB, Chester and Hause.   Hmmmmmmm. My enthusiasm has taken a knock since Tuanzebe is not coming...

Okay Cahill will be okay for a season but we Need another solid CB alongside him. Tuanzebe/Mings but I think Mings is also dragging on to long. We need another solid Centre back.

What if it was Mings, Hause, Chester and a one year Cahill to provide experience whilst we wait for Utd to **** up Tuanzebe and we sign him next summer?

I'm up for that.

• Like 2