Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

25 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Except that they did well cause they were senior PL quality players in the championship. What's been rumoured so far is a teenager from Chelsea from what I can see. 

Secondly it's pretty clear what a bad club development strategy loans are when you are looking at us now. We are hardly a team atm. loans went back to their club and we can hardly field a first eleven. We're in a bad spot and everyone knows it. 

Lovely we got promoted and fixed out financial worries, but from a sport club point of view the loans didn't actually do is a great deal. We are likely to get relegated straight away through most likely an embarrassing season where we look disjointed with no relations until late spring (when it's too late) cause we had to buy a brand new team. Cause of loans. 

If we can get a similar quality, then I would agree with you. But we have a huge rebuild that even with loans we might not be able to achieve what we want.

Loans actually took us up, we wouldn't have went up if we didn't. We tried buying (albeit in a bad way), it put us in a bad shape. The proper rebuild (which Norwich, Fulham, Dingles and Sheff U have done) needs to lower our expectations for a season or two (3 for Norwich and Fulham). Even with that,  loans gave them chance to go up.

It just happened that we didn't have our manager since last summer, we didn't have resources, we were financially broke. Yet we made a big step because of loans.

I would agree it should not be our aim, but whenever we need a rebuild or even when we're looking at a players who we might be waiting to develop, we could use these smart loan deals to give us benefits for the team in terms of quality and finances.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

For the most part I agree but he did also say you can put it on record we won’t loan players.(without an option to buy).

If we do now go and loan another youngster with no option to buy it does make you wonder how sincere the guy really is. 

Edit:for the record I haven’t got a problem with loans.

I don't think it will be our aim, but if we can't fix everything until then we might do a loan or two on the deadline day.

Edited by abdulaziz1

48 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

No it's not. That's just something you just made up. What usually happens is young players without much experience go out on loan from the likes of Chelsea to less fortunate clubs. The argument is always that these players might be less experienced, but be more talented.  Very often they struggle to make an impact to the degree that's expected and just block the development of talent from the less fortunate club. Then next summer comes along and it's the same loan argument that's pitches and since they didn't develop their own players they are now forced back into developing other club's talents. The circle continues rinse and repeat. In all honesty the loan bollox remind me how much I hated renting an apartment. You basically do everything to make the lender richer,  more developed and in a better position. Hate everything about it. 

Secondly there's no excuse for us to keep doing this. We're not poor atm. 

No, where did i say or anyone else say bring in a loan that won’t improve us? We wouldn’t be in the premiership now if it wasn’t for the strong loans we had last year. You’re changing the loan goal posts to suit your argument. 

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Now now I'm only saying what I read. In fairness to him he's usually pretty accurate

Medical slots tend to be booked very close to completion. So if that's the case, expect an incoming by the end of the week. Most likely Butland as that deal has been as good as done for a week. Stoke needed to sort a new keeper and Jack had to come back from holiday. I believe both have now happened so it can get finalised. 

Edited by Made In Aston

5 minutes ago, thunderball said:

For those that know, is Heaton better than Butland?

Heaton is a pretty solid PL keeper. Given the choice, I would probably choose Butland as he is younger and higher up the England setup. Not a massive amount in it though. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pintpotvilla said:

Leroy Fer failed a medical didn't he and Carroll was a very last minute replacement so probably nothing to

have a go at him for those. i wouldn't want these "ITK" guys to stop tweeting their info, it's too much fun!!

I'd forgotten about Carroll.  I wonder whether it would be worth going back for him as a dirt cheap squad option like Hause and Jota.  Obviously if he is completely broken there would be no point but in theory his style should be suited to Smith's tactics.

25 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Heaton is a pretty solid PL keeper. Given the choice, I would probably choose Butland as he is younger and higher up the England setup. Not a massive amount in it though. 

I'd have Nick Pope over Heaton. The season Heaton was out and Pope took his place, he was the best keeper in the league and I thought it was harsh to lose his place, but Heaton is captain. Amazed he hasn't looked for a move, he could get first team at a decent Premier League team.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

So what period of the transfer window do Spurs normally come in to offer us Josh Anonymous?

once per transfer window, times vary :P

Only question is who they offer, is it going to be Onomah this time?, or another nobody youth player?.....answers on a postcard.

Pope isn't as young as you'd think.  28?

Edit: I'm sat in front of Google, could have just looked... Butland is 26, Pope is 27.

Edited by Qwpzxjor1

4 minutes ago, Qwpzxjor1 said:

Pope isn't as young as you'd think.  28?

27 i think. (if you mean Nick Pope), also Pope signed a contract extension in May 2019........to 2023.

Heaton is 33, so tbh would prob only want him to "challenge" for the shirt, prob wouldnt buy him as our long term no1.

Edited by MaVilla

Wouldn't take Heaton at 33, and as Burnley captain they'd not want to let him go. No doubt they see Nick Pope as Heaton's natural replacement but Heaton still has 2-3 years in him you'd think, which would put Pope at 30 or so.. surely he'd want first team football before then..

5 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I rate both Heaton and Pope over Butland.

Heaton got no reason to leave Burnley to play for a newly promoted side, Burnley is a well established Prem side at this point.

We can rule that one out.

Must admit that whilst I get that people are worried about getting value for money, i’m starting to get a little concerned about whether we’re actually gonna be able to field a defence next year.

I know there is still plenty of time left, but our squad still needs a hell of a lot of work, and I did think we would have seen a couple more bodies in. We’re still nowhere near where we were last year.

8 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I know there is still plenty of time left, but our squad still needs a hell of a lot of work, and I did think we would have seen a couple more bodies in. We’re still nowhere near where we were last year.

As with every club we'll still be working on deals right up until the window closes. Buying players is never easy.