Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why is it alarming? Tried and tested method in The Championship, they played some fantastic football under Smith for Brentford

He was being sarcastic, I think...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

It's 10 million euros

All well and good, but why would Villa bid €10m for a Brentford player and not ££? That was why I was speculating about a release clause, as it may have been written in when they signed him from Nice? 

Or it’s just paper BS. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

All well and good, but why would Villa bid €10m for a Brentford player and not ££? That was why I was speculating about a release clause, as it may have been written in when they signed him from Nice? 

Or it’s just paper BS. 

Well if a French paper got the story first, they'd obviously convert the price to Euros for their readers. Just as Sky Sports report all European transfers in £'s usually. 

5 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Or it’s just paper BS. 

Everything is paper BS atm, really quite annoying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

Well if a French paper got the story first, they'd obviously convert the price to Euros for their readers. Just as Sky Sports report all European transfers in £'s usually. 

Yep agreed, which then goes back to the original point of why would we bid £8.76m? Equating to €10m? Why not just £10m?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Or it’s just paper BS. 

The report is from a French paper, so I'm guessing that's the reason.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If we signed Sturridge it would be clear that we learned nothing from the Richards signing. 

No harm in approaching the guy and giving him a one-year "prove-it" deal, take it or leave it. We look to be a team that'll play a system that will get him opportunities...so it would make sense for him to join us if he eyes one last big deal. Play well for us, command a bigger deal next summer. This, of course, is assuming a team doesn't give him a big deal now. If we are dumb enough to do that, I completely agree with you. 

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

You think he's a bit special. If you think he's Mahrez special then I reckon you're a bit special.

Nice.  

I think he can be as good as Mahrez. 

When Mahrez was the same age he was playing in Ligue 2 for Le Havre.   Benrahma is a lot better than what Mahrez was at the same age. 

So in my  opinion that’s makes your insulting post even more ridiculous. 

Edit: removed my thoughts on Mazrim and his posts. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, PrimevalVillan said:

No harm in approaching the guy and giving him a one-year "prove-it" deal, take it or leave it. We look to be a team that'll play a system that will get him opportunities...so it would make sense for him to join us if he eyes one last big deal. Play well for us, command a bigger deal next summer. This, of course, is assuming a team doesn't give him a big deal now. If we are dumb enough to do that, I completely agree with you. 

I’ve never rated him highly. Comes across as lazy, thinks he is better than he is. Doesn’t press, wants the ball to feet all the time.

Plus he is ridiculous injury prone. I just think he’s the kind of player we need to avoid. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Yep agreed, which then goes back to the original point of why would we bid £8.76m? Equating to €10m? Why not just £10m?

It's probably an £8.5m or £9m bid they have converted to EU and rounded up to a report friendly figure so they are not saying it's an EU9,758,227 figure or something. 

That would be the case of course if the entire thing wasn't complete plopypoo anyway which it almost certainly is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacketspuds said:

Bit of a random price for Benrahma. Anyone know if he has a release clause?

No release clause, but signed on a four-year deal, with the option of a further year last July, therefore he won't be cheap. 

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nice.  

I think he can be as good as Mahrez. 

When Mahrez was the same age he was playing in Ligue 2 for Le Havre.   Benrahma is a lot better than what Mahrez was at the same age. 

So in my  opinion that’s makes your insulting post even more ridiculous. 

Edit: removed my thoughts on Mazrim and his posts. 

I was only having a laugh and I thought you got that. No need to be so touchy. Our opinions differ. So what? We'll see how Benrahma develops and I never said he wasnt a good player.

7 minutes ago, jonjon said:

No release clause, but signed on a four-year deal, with the option of a further year last July, therefore he won't be cheap. 

How do you know there's no release clause?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

I was only having a laugh and I thought you got that. No need to be so touchy. Our opinions differ. So what? We'll see how Benrahma develops and I never said he wasnt a good player.

Fair enough. It’s all good 👍🏼

• Like 1

I am risking sounding really negative here, but these Brentford players aren't filling me with much confidence. People are underestimating the jump in quality from championship to Premier league. How many attacking players actually succed in the premier league after doing well in the championship? 

People seem excited about Maupay because he scored 20+ goals last season, but have people actually looked to see who the last many topscorers in the Championship were and how they fared in the prem? The jump up is massive. We sometimes see target men from the championsip do well in the prem, like Glenn Murray and Ricky Lambert, but it basically never happens a striker in Maupay mole successfully leaps to the Premier league. I personally value 10 goals in the premier league or equivilant league higher than 20 goals in the championship. The only non-target man striker that has succesfully made the jump up in recent years that I can think of is Callum Wilson, it took him 4 seasons to do so and Jamie Vardy (who also struggled massively in the first season). Though there probably is someone else too. Maupay just makes me think Andre Gray, Nakhi Wells, Ebanks-Blake or Maynard. There is a reason no Premier league squad has bought Billy Sharp for the past 10 seasons. 

I'm just hoping we don't fill up our club with Championship quality, because then that is exactly where we are going again. Except if they are exceptionally good or young with massive potential, which non of the players we are linked with are. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jonjon said:

I like Brentford, but what does it feel like as a fan to basically be an unpaid pimp?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PrimevalVillan said:

Considering mentality is the buzz word coming out of the mouths of both Deano and Purslow with regards to potential transfer targets, we should dismiss players like Sturridge off hand. 

• Like 4