Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

Sturridge is the kind of flawed signing Fulham would have made last year to join the like of schurle and babbel. He will play about 2 games, cost us 80k a week and we would be left with Davies having to score 20+ goals (which he won't any time soon). 

If we are going to buy players like that then we might as well just agree to get relegated now. 

I did say if the wages were alright - 80k is clearly not alright.

Daniel Sturridge is in my opinion an exceptionally talented footballer whose career has been blighted by injury - and I acknowledge Klop has at times questioned his desire - however I do feel he is a Smith type footballer and maybe he might just fancy one last hurrah at the place where it all began for him?

17 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I did say if the wages were alright - 80k is clearly not alright.

Daniel Sturridge is in my opinion an exceptionally talented footballer whose career has been blighted by injury - and I acknowledge Klop has at times questioned his desire - however I do feel he is a Smith type footballer and maybe he might just fancy one last hurrah at the place where it all began for him?

Why on earth would we give him his last hurrah on probably over 40k per week to play about 5 games? No, just, no. 

And I’m sorry but if his desire to play is being questioned by one of the best managers in the world, in a team that were fighting for the title and that went on to win the champs league, then what is his desire going to be like at a team just promoted?  Literally makes no sense.

Edited by Tayls
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Some people clearly don’t understand the approach we are going to be taking when it comes to adding to the squad - and instead want us to go down the same routes that got us into a mess in the first place. 

For me you get as many squad players in as possible and then go after a marquee signing.

We sign a marquee player 1st thing and every player we approach after that clubs will say

"you gave them 30/40 million for that guy , now we want big money too"

2 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Sturridge is the kind of flawed signing Fulham would have made last year to join the like of schurle and babbel. He will play about 2 games, cost us 80k a week and we would be left with Davies having to score 20+ goals (which he won't any time soon). 

If we are going to buy players like that then we might as well just agree to get relegated now. 

Wait what did Babel do wrong? Came in in Jan, played well, scored goals, got assists, made Fulham’s shoddy attack better than it was, played his way into a very good Netherlands team. 

• Like 3

A lot of posters on here need a reality check. Not all Championship players are not good enough. Championship quality players are generally cheaper than current premiership players. There is less risk with a very good Championship player than a foreign player arriving here having never played in British football before, whatever his quality, but that is why they generally cost slightly more.

Good luck in sourcing 10+ Premier League quality new players for £100m. 

• Like 1

If we fail to stay up and we have high quality championship players then we should be able to challenge for the automatic promotion places straight away rather than losing half the squad and having to rebuild from the bottom up. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, tinker said:

If we fail to stay up and we have high quality championship players then we should be able to challenge for the automatic promotion places straight away rather than losing half the squad and having to rebuild from the bottom up. 

And wasting 100m on trash like we did last time we went down.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Some people clearly don’t understand the approach we are going to be taking when it comes to adding to the squad - and instead want us to go down the same routes that got us into a mess in the first place. 

Not really. There are plenty of good players at a similar age in europe who are similar age, have many more international caps and would cost less. Said before but Seb Haller had a good scoring season for Eintracht Frankfurt, experienced playing in european competition and imo would cost less than what Maupay would.

There are many hidden gems playing in europe. Raul Jimenez was just a back up striker at Benfica this time last year, now Wolves could probably sell him for 40m. Think back a few years ago and Southampton signing likes of Sadio Mane and Tadic from europe.

I get the feeling people are nervous because of what happened in 2015. Completely different as we were very much on our way down as a club and there was a negative/toxic atmosphere around the place.

Guys like Amavi, Gana and Veretout aren't bad players at all as they've played good football in high standard teams after leaving us. Those sorts of signings would do well in our present team imo.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, VillaChris said:

Not really. There are plenty of good players at a similar age in europe who are similar age, have many more international caps and would cost less. Said before but Seb Haller had a good scoring season for Eintracht Frankfurt, experienced playing in european competition and imo would cost less than what Maupay would.

There are many hidden gems playing in europe. Raul Jimenez was just a back up striker at Benfica this time last year, now Wolves could probably sell him for 40m. Think back a few years ago and Southampton signing likes of Sadio Mane and Tadic from europe.

I get the feeling people are nervous because of what happened in 2015. Completely different as we were very much on our way down as a club and there was a negative/toxic atmosphere around the place.

Guys like Amavi, Gana and Veretout aren't bad players at all as they've played good football in high standard teams after leaving us. Those sorts of signings would do well in our present team imo.

We have consistently signed lots of good players (like the ones you name) and they have played badly for us. It needed a whole change of culture which I happily believe is well underway.

Edited by Adam2003

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Said before but Seb Haller had a good scoring season for Eintracht Frankfurt, experienced playing in european competition and imo would cost less than what Maupay would.

If we could get Haller cheaper than Maupay then it shouldn't be a discussion. I don't know if that would be the case, however. TransferMarkt has him valued at €40 million.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

We have consistently signed lots of good players (like the ones you name) and they have played badly for us. It needed a whole change of culture which I happily believe is well underway.

Agreed, big part of that culture being coming to an upbeat training ground to work under a positive, attack minded coach, something we've lacked for a decade. Hungry professionals all pulling in the same direction instead of lazy mercenaries.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

Don't agree with anyone that wants to sign Sturridge in the slightest, but aside from that I think folks are getting carried away with this notion that we need a striker that'll be scoring us 20+ goals in a season. I've seen this used as a reason to not sign Tammy or whoever else, but realistically as great as it would be to have someone that does that...it's only Salah, Aubameyang, Mane and Aguero that managed that total last season. And that tends to be the rule (at least in recent season), that there'll only be 4/5 players that actually do so in a league season. We should delighted with anyone getting around the 15 mark really given we're a side whose ambitions lie outside of the top 6 next season.

• Like 1