Summer Transfer Window 2019 (closed)

sne

4 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I hope we don’t get too fixated on this idea of “Dean’s players”. Successful managers look forwards, not backwards. 

Yeah I kinda agree. There's a whole world of players out there, I'd be disappointed if we were only looking at Brentford players.

I very much think that's not the case though, just lazy journalism. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Why isn’t he? Because you said so?

Well I say he is. 

You think he's a bit special. If you think he's Mahrez special then I reckon you're a bit special.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I would welcome Daniel Sturbridge back to VP if the wage demands are not ridiculously high.

He is last chance saloon now with everything to play for.

On his A game - which are currently few and far between, he is probably the most gifted of all English strikers imo.

I'm calling it now.  Dave J is Sturridge's agent!

• Like 2

Benrahma would be perfect. He has a bit fo everything and is comfortable on the right or left. Nice to see him interchanging with El Ghazi and picking up positions in the pockets whilst our full backs push on. 

6 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Yeah I kinda agree. There's a whole world of players out there, I'd be disappointed if we were only looking at Brentford players.

I very much think that's not the case though, just lazy journalism. 

Yes I hope so. The Jota signing does support the idea that he is keen to bring in his own men, but we seem to have got good value there, so it’s okay.

What I don’t want is us overvaluing Brentford players as marquee signings for next season. There are loads of successful managers who have a distinctive style of play who have achieved that at a new club without fishing in their old pond — Klopp doesn’t have any Dortmund players at Liverpool, for example.

DS has already shown that he can get good improvements out of all sorts of different players and personalities, so I’m only keen on picking off Brentford players if they offer good value. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Benrahma would be perfect. He has a bit fo everything and is comfortable on the right or left. Nice to see him interchanging with El Ghazi and picking up positions in the pockets whilst our full backs push on. 

Exactly. He's on a par with El Ghazi, and that's a compliment. You could see both in the same squad / team. I dont know why we'd pay any more for him than El Ghazi too. 10m euros is good money.

I know Transfermarkt is only a guide, but El Ghazi is rated higher on there for instance.

Edited by Mazrim

Too many rumours & speculation, have we actually made a bid for a player yet? We don’t know who we are targeting or what kind of player, hopefully we will get an idea from the first couple of signings (not really counting the Jota deal as we were essentially just getting rid of a useless player in Gardner, good deal for us).

Whatever happens, I think we have to get our few decent youngsters out on loan into the Championship if possible (rather than L1, L2), they need to take that next step up.

Namely,: O’Hare, Davis, Green, RHM,  Doyle-Hayes, Revan. See if they can prove themselves and if they do well then give them a shot at getting into our squad, otherwise we would need to offload them.

The jump up to PL is going to be huge and we just don’t have anywhere near enough quality left in our squad. We’re going to need a hell of a lot of decent signings but I trust Deano & co to get it right. Just finding it hard to be patient atm & aren’t the weekends so boring now without Villa playing?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I would welcome Daniel Sturbridge back to VP if the wage demands are not ridiculously high.

He is last chance saloon now with everything to play for.

On his A game - which are currently few and far between, he is probably the most gifted of all English strikers imo.

I think worryingly for some ageing professionals this is read as ‘nothing to play for’ ... they know it’s thair last gig so there’s no need to work for a new contract or a new transfer, take the money and turn up to training for the 3 year contract and then retire.

I agree though in that he was very talented, and if his career hasn’t been plagued by injuries then it could’ve all been quite different for him. But I think it’s a risk we shouldn’t take. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mazrim said:

So is he a new account for that Avfctranfers guy that used to get things right or is he somebody else? Even he only really knew about medicals not bids.

He started the account in July 2014 and has been active only in transfer windows, he tweets about info other than medicals so I think he has a different insight at the club, he also occasionally tweets about other midlands clubs (but much less so) so could be in the football agency world or media. He is reliable but doesn’t pass on as much info on each tip as you might ordinarily want like he might say “DM approach”. 

avfctransfers was active in parallel and stopped in 2016 so they almost certainly different people.

Yeah, it’s alarming that all of Deans s recruits are former brentford players....

except for el. Ghazi,  Ming’s,  Kalinic, Hause, that kid who finished the season and plays right back,   All  you have to do is forget those (and perhaps more I’m forgetting) to believe that utter nonsense.  

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I hope we don’t get too fixated on this idea of “Dean’s players”. Successful managers look forwards, not backwards. 

Successful managers like Jose Mourihno bringing Carvalho and Ferreira with him from Porto?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

Yeah, it’s alarming that all of Deans s recruits are former brentford players....

except for el. Ghazi,  Ming’s,  Kalinic, Hause, that kid who finished the season and plays right back,   All  you have to do is forget those (and perhaps more I’m forgetting) to believe that utter nonsense.  

Why is it alarming? Tried and tested method in The Championship, they played some fantastic football under Smith for Brentford

• Haha 1