Racism Part two

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

This might sound bad, but do black people go red in the face from high blood pressure? 

Yes anyone can, it’s less visible the darker the skin tone.

Similarly, black people can burn in direct sunlight, and can blush when embarrassed.

It’s more obvious, more visible, the paler the skin, but it’s not an exclusive condition that only middle aged white men have a rush of blood to the head when angry about the French or remoaners. 

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

That's because we live in a country where the majority of people who are a gammon would be white. 

A gammon is to do with the views you hold, and the gammon part refers to people getting red in the face because they're so angry (Usually about something stupid like immigration)

There is nothing about it that is exclusive to white people.

WHY ARE WE TALKING ABOUT STEAK?! :D What has a steak being dark brown got to do with anything?!

I think you need to go for a steak tonight to calm down  id recomend a ribeye medium rare 😉

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Im not wrong. This subject is a matter of opinion what you find offesnive or not

If you think it's racist for a non white person to call a white person a gammon then you're wrong.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you think it's racist for a non white person to call a white person a gammon then you're wrong.

Again that comes down to what someone finds offesnive. Doesnt mean im wrong just that you dont think its racist.  

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Again that comes down to what someone finds offesnive. Doesnt mean im wrong just that you dont think its racist.  

It's not racist.

If I told you I thought calling me tall was racist that wouldn't make me right.

The term 'Gammon' has absolutely zero to do with race.

It was created as a 'catch-all' phrase for people (of any colour) whose level of irrational exasperation at perceived 'left wing' actions cause the blood level to rise.

• Like 2

Gammon isn't remotely racist  , indeed it was quite witty  ....  then it developed into a bit of  a stereotype and became a bit of intellectual snobbery often from people not appreciating the irony  that they whined on Twitter about being labelled snowflakes.  ..

Now it's just a lazy insult like many others ... with its usage (again , like other insults)  , the intent is clear , you're wrong , I'm right  now excuse me whilst I put my fingers in my ears and shout la la la la  , it doesn't really help in any engagement , but then again I'm not sure most people actually want the engagement  , just the likes and retweets .

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

It's not racist.

If I told you I thought calling me tall was racist that wouldn't make me right.

Tall ? Whats that got to do with colour? That example isnt very good.

I think when your comparing people to food colours it can be deemed border line offesnive and racist. Its like if you called a black person a chocolate bar. That is very racist i think

• Haha 1

Tall ? Whats that got to do with colour? That example isnt very good.

That is exactly the point.

Gammon is nothing to do with colour.

I think when your comparing people to food colours it can be deemed border line offesnive and racist. Its like if you called a black person a chocolate bar. That is very racist i think

Nobody is doing that except you

Just now, Stevo985 said:

That is exactly the point.

Gammon is nothing to do with colour.

Nobody is doing that except you

Like i said it depends on the context of the remark. Anyway going round in circles getting us nowhere so i dont have anything further to add to this topic 🙂

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

No idea. But Everyone goes red in the face from getting angry about stuff. Which is the point.

Again I think the gammon term isn't specifically talking about people who are angry, which you are right can be anyone of any colour, but the stereotype of overweight, middle aged white male Tories who constantly have pink faces, not just when they are angry. I think that's why the talk is of racism (I think it's a bit of a stretch but people can be offended by whatever they want, it's up to them).

Dem then said is it OK to call a white man a gammon, can you call a black man a steak (another example would be chocolate which is obviously a big no-no) because they're dark brown. 

32 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Again I think the gammon term isn't specifically talking about people who are angry, which you are right can be anyone of any colour, but the stereotype of overweight, middle aged white male Tories who constantly have pink faces, not just when they are angry. I think that's why the talk is of racism (I think it's a bit of a stretch but people can be offended by whatever they want, it's up to them).

Dem then said is it OK to call a white man a gammon, can you call a black man a steak (another example would be chocolate which is obviously a big no-no) because they're dark brown. 

The stereotype is a white middle aged male because they are the people who usually hold these views. But the term Gannon does not refer to a white person. It is nothing to do with race.

It would be like saying "Boomer" is racist because it's typically an older white person your'e referring to. That might be true but it doesn't make the term racist.

I honestly don't know why we're talking about steak. It makes literally no sense.

There is always going to be the context and specifics of any one given situation.

Any word anywhere can be perceived as being used in a racist way, given the right set up. 

But as a general rule, ‘gammon’ is not intended as a race slur or insult. I’m not saying some won’t twist it that way, the word ‘boy’ delivered the wrong way by the wrong person can be a race insult, but we won’t stop calling boys, boys.

Only a snowflake would get upset by the term gammon, but I thought the gammon brigade love a good snowflake slinging session. It warps my mind. 

I prefer to just call someone a pr*ck, if that's what they are. It reduces the chance of you being labelled a racist. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 1

Â