Racism Part two

Demitri_C

Nothing to defend in my opinion regarding Danny Baker.

I genuinely believe he didn't even see it a racial issue or with racial connotations, isn't that exactly how it should be.

Firing him over that means that we continue to highlight race as an issue and tread on eggshells around it, how can it ever be inclusive when incidents like this are commonplace?

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

In a weird way I almost feel like he’s too clever to have done that on purpose. He would know how offensive it is and that it would probably get him sacked. 

Not defending the tweet or him by the way. 

Just playing devils advocate here but why is a picture of 2 people walking with a Chimp offensive?

He may have been naïve to not consider how it may be taken but it can be as innocent or incredibly racist as you want to make it.

Edited by AVFCDAN
  • Like 2

Such a stupid thing to do for anyone, let along someone in his position.

It goes with the territory as a high profile employee of the BBC you have to be extremely careful with anything that might cause offence.

Can anyone explain what he said about it was meant to be a joke about royals and circus animals and not about race?

43 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I genuinely believe he didn't even see it a racial issue or with racial connotations, isn't that exactly how it should be.

No, especially from an intelligent man like Danny Baker.

It was a disappointingly monumental lack of judgment from someone who ought to have considered the obvious connotation of posting a chimp picture in relation to this specific baby.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I genuinely believe he didn't even see it a racial issue or with racial connotations

Considering the history of racial taunting at football matches down the years, the monkey noises, the bananas thrown onto the pitch, and the fact that he's pretty steeped in football culture and cannot possibly be unaware of this, that's an extremely generous interpretation on your part.

Not that football is the only context in which comparisons with chimpanzees are used as a racist taunt, just to say that he is very obviously aware of the connection simply from his interest in and exposure to football culture over decades.  It is simply impossible to believe he's not aware of it.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Just playing devils advocate here but why is a picture of 2 people walking with a Chimp offensive?

Is this a real question?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this a real question?

Without context or interpretation it isn't offensive though is it?

Using it in this context was a mistake on his part I guess but if he genuinely didn't see the racial connotations in it is it fair to blame him for the offence it causes? I really don't think that was a sackable offence on his behalf but then I'm not the "victim" of the joke as it were so I'm not really in a position to say either way.

12 minutes ago, peterms said:

Considering the history of racial taunting at football matches down the years, the monkey noises, the bananas thrown onto the pitch, and the fact that he's pretty steeped in football culture and cannot possibly be unaware of this, that's an extremely generous interpretation on your part.

Maybe but then what is the alternative? He is a racist and used this very specific event for his outlet.

If it wasn't an honest mistake on his part and he's not a racist then where is the middle ground here?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Maybe but then what is the alternative? He is a racist and used this very specific event for his outlet.

If it wasn't an honest mistake on his part and he's not a racist then where is the middle ground here?

That's quite hard to say, and perhaps he will try to explain.  I assume he won't claim to be unaware of the racist connotations of comparing or juxtaposing black people and chimps, because I don't really see how anyone at all could possibly believe that.  Perhaps he'll claim to be unaware of her black heritage or something, since he says he's not a "royal-watcher", not that you'd need to be to know about that, with the coverage it's had.  Possibly he'll claim not to understand that the BBC expects certain things from presenters, which would be equally implausible.  I really don't know.  Let's see if he has more to say that might explain the situation a bit more.

I gather his first reaction was to criticise "the suits" for "throwing him under a bus" in "a masterclass of pompous faux gravity", which doesn't come across as greatly self-aware or showing that he thinks he did anything seriously wrong.  He's now saying they were right to fire him, so perhaps he's being advised not to play the victim, in the hope of defusing it a little.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, peterms said:

Not that football is the only context in which comparisons with chimpanzees are used as a racist taunt, just to say that he is very obviously aware of the connection simply from his interest in and exposure to football culture over decades.  It is simply impossible to believe he's not aware of it.

Particularly considering a huge part of his exposure to football culture consisted of crowds at Millwall matches in the 70s and 80s.

As you say - it's a very generous interpretation.

10 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

Particularly considering a huge part of his exposure to football culture consisted of crowds at Millwall matches in the 70s and 80s.

As you say - it's a very generous interpretation.

I would say it depends how closely related posting a picture involving a chimp and actively making monkey gestures at a black footballer are. That’s where the interpretation lies.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

I think it was irresponsible and stupid, he lacked even a moment of contemplation and thought around how the image could be perceived. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Even if he did not intend for it to be racist, which I am sure he didn't...what exactly is the bloody joke?

He should be sacked purely on garbage humour alone.

He's posted the same image loads of times.

It always has the caption of something grand and important happening in the news, then you scroll down and it's a funny picture of a monkey in clothes.

It's a silly little joke, and it's one of those things that became funnier with repetition.  I have no doubts at all he just saw another opportunity to post it and didn't think twice.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

it's a funny picture of a monkey in clothes.

I regret this post, and apologise to any chimps that are offended. They are apes, not monkeys.

• Like 2

Â