Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Yet again another weird synchronicity, the world is really small, moment tonight in my local pub in Auckland, NZ. Chatting for a while with a French couple on holiday and the daughters Dad. Dad and daughter from Strasbourg. I ask the boyfriend do you like football he says yes Barcelona and my local team from Normandy you've probably never heard of called Caen. Me: OMG Frederic Guilbert!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Patience. Guilbert chance will come. Either through injuries/suspension or in Cup games.

It's up to him to grab it when it comes. I 100 % agree with Smith here. Have to earn you're right into the team.

Heaton didn't earn his place over Steer, he was just given it. 

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Heaton didn't earn his place over Steer, he was just given it. 

Well, yea. Fair point.

Heaton is not exactly a kid though and got tons of Premier League experience. So it's not exactly the same thing.

But i wouldn't actually been against Steer starting the season as 1st choice, i feel like he's earned it. But Smith made a decision.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, hippo said:

So Guilbert didn't get many assists whilst playing for a struggling team ?  - sure he will get loads for us...

It's about the system that the team operates, bottom teams in the prem have evolved to play short-passing build-up football...including the promoted teams.

Caen on the otherhand were a far cry from this;  "Caen have made the second most long passes this season and average the third longest passes in the league with Strasbourg and Dijon both marginally ahead of them in these categories." 

So in my opinion you can't judge a player with the attacking and crossing abilities in a team that played for arguably the worst team in one of Europe's poorer teams, especially when that team is playing long hoof ball....Guilbert is the superior footballer and will be the starting full-back before the end of December i'm sure of it. 

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/feature-why-caen-are-the-worst-team-in-ligue-1/

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Well, yea. Fair point.

Heaton is not exactly a kid though and got tons of Premier League experience. So it's not exactly the same thing.

But i wouldn't actually been against Steer starting the season as 1st choice, i feel like he's earned it. But Smith made a decision.

Targett could have come in for Taylor, in the same way Heaton did. But yeah, I get the point you're making.

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I was just looked at his WhoScored page, because I keep seeing people saying he was our MOTM, but I didn't feel like that at the game.

WhoScored says he had 11 crosses, and of them 4 found a teammate. I feel like that, alone, adds context to this 'he was the highest rated player' line that keeps coming up Elmo's defence. Obviously, 7 of his crosses not finding a teammate doesn't mean they were bad crosses, as they could have just been defended well. However, my feeling from the game was that a good portion of his crosses were floated into a deep area (or one or two went out of play), whereas I'd prefer them to be whipped with pace into a more dangerous area. 

You've mentioned the two that went to Taylor and Grealish, but the one that keeps sticking in my mind (maybe just because I was hoping it would come to something), was the one that went to McGinn, but because it was so deep and floated, McGinn's header had little power and was an easy catch from the keeper.

I think Elmo will keep his place against Everton, and I won't begrudge him starting. However, I would like to see whether Guilbert can look as pivotal in the Prem as he looked for us in pre-season.

I like Elmo and think he's probabaly been one of our most underated players over the last couple of seasons, but I was surprised by the praise he was getting after the Bournmouth game too. Maybe we were influenced by the people sitting around us, but he seemed a bit slow and sloppy to me at the time. Stats have this annoying habit of proving me wrong. 

I was sure Guilbert was going to be our starting RB this year and I really liked the look of him in pre-season, but I guess competition for places is good, last year was the complete opposite.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I like Elmo and think he's probabaly been one of our most underated players over the last couple of seasons, but I was surprised by the praise he was getting after the Bournmouth game too. Maybe we were influenced by the people sitting around us, but he seemed a bit slow and sloppy to me at the time. Stats have this annoying habit of proving me wrong. 

I was sure Guilbert was going to be our starting RB this year and I really liked the look of him in pre-season, but I guess competition for places is good, last year was the complete opposite.

One thing for certain, is that in both games he's had a sloppy moment that's resulted in a dangerous chance for the opposition.

Pushes hard every time we have the ball, has totally transformed our team down the right. Leaves gaps but also creates gaps. Swings and round abouts but we look far more threatening down the right. Need to swap out Taylor down the left and we will see Smith's formation and tactics come good.

Not a dig at Taylor or elmo but active rather than reactive is the way to go.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, brummybloke said:

Pushes hard every time we have the ball, has totally transformed our team down the right. Leaves gaps but also creates gaps. Swings and round abouts but we look far more threatening down the right. Need to swap out Taylor down the left and we will see Smith's formation and tactics come good.

Not a dig at Taylor or elmo but active rather than reactive is the way to go.

Spot on mate! 

Freddie has been a revelation down the right and carried the attack forward with Jota whilst the left side has been pretty quiet. Get Targett playing like Freddie and we'll be playing total football in no time. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

Spot on mate! 

Freddie has been a revelation down the right and carried the attack forward with Jota whilst the left side has been pretty quiet. Get Targett playing like Freddie and we'll be playing total football in no time. 

100% agree.

In the early moments he looked shaky, and he does leave gaps, but it’s because he’s constantly on the move to get us attacking again. I heard the sky commentators saying it was Jack’s quick thinking from the freekick that lead to the goal, but Guilbert’s thinking was just as quick to run forward and receive the ball from Jack.

• Like 1

I got questioned why I'd want him in over Elmo, well today showed why. Obviously has areas for improvement but has terrific pace and gives a great option going forward, playing a superb role in the first goal with an excellent run. All the qualities of a modern fullback, will only get better.

• Like 1

Â