Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I’ll probably get slated for this, but I’d start Elmo on Saturday. Bags of talent but not ready.

Guilbert tries just one of those flicks next week and we go a goal down. I’d rather the experience, and make Freddie earn his place.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Enda said:

Guilbert tries just one of those flicks next week and we go a goal down. 

Or he gets a little bit more on it, it goes a foot wider and he's off on an attack rinsing Ben Davies for pace. Just as feasible. 

Edited by Wezbid
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Enda said:

I’ll probably get slated for this, but I’d start Elmo on Saturday. Bags of talent but not ready.

Guilbert tries just one of those flicks next week and we go a goal down. I’d rather the experience, and make Freddie earn his place.

Lucas Moura would destroy Elmo all game long, Poch would tell him just run at him. Be horrible to watch

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wezbid said:

Or he gets a little bit more on it, it goes a foot wider and he's off on an attack rinsing Ben Davies for pace. Just as feasible. 

Yep, possible.

But I think we need a wake-up call. Spurs were in the CL final two months ago. We’re a recently promoted side filled with a bunch of players untried at this level and not used to playing with each other. 

The bookies give us 10/1 odds of winning. To a neutral, we’re going to get whipped. Need to shore things up a bit imho.

1 hour ago, Enda said:

I will join you in getting slated. I wouldn't start him v spurs. I didn't actually think he looked that hot going forward today.

He's come to a new country off the back of a relegation ...he might take a while to settle.

I'm probably also going to get slated for this.... I'd start him against Spurs.

I think both the full backs got a little hard work today due to how Leipzig play. They made a few mistakes but that is what these games are for, and they have looked pretty solid up to now. Anyway I think in the main Freddie has been excellent preseason. Yes it counts for nothing come kick off but he has had far more minutes than Elmo in this new team and not looked out of place. I think we should start as we mean to go. Most of the new signings are going to have ups and downs,  as with all the players that have yet to play in the PL and even those that have. I like him a lot and think eventually he will easily hold the RB position down. He might need pulling from time to time but I think he will have one of the highest game time percentages in the team by the end of the season. 

I'd like to see Guilbert start, and I will back him even when he makes mistakes. But we need to be realistic - he is not a natural defender, and he will make big defensive mistakes.

However, I could see him setting up 5-10 goals this season with that afterburner pace he has on the overlap. He was skinning those Leipzig players.

Great addition to the squad.

5 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

If Trez was starting, I'd probably start Elmo too.

Otherwise, I like the chemistry between Jota and Guilbert already in what I have seen of preseason. I'd start those 2.

Trez is a LW ideally, so unless you want to play Trez out of position or Elmo at LB?

imo, should be Targett/Trez & Guilbert/Jota.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Trez is a LW ideally, so unless you want to play Trez out of position or Elmo at LB?

imo, should be Targett/Trez & Guilbert/Jota.

I'm only judging by what I have seen in a Villa shirt. I'm pretty sure his only preseason hit out for us was on the Right with Elmo behind him vs Walsall?

29 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

I'm only judging by what I have seen in a Villa shirt. I'm pretty sure his only preseason hit out for us was on the Right with Elmo behind him vs Walsall?

He came on against Leipzig on the left wing, but yes he was on the right wing against Charlton.

16 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Been to Dudley Zoo today. Poor chap. 

Glad to see he is soaking up the local culture. 

• Haha 1

Â