Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Brilliant today. Without taking anything away from Jota who was brilliant today, his game needs a quick overlapping FB behind him otherwise his need to cut inside becomes predictable. Guilbert adds so much to our attacking game. 

7 minutes ago, av1 said:

Brilliant today. Without taking anything away from Jota who was brilliant today, his game needs a quick overlapping FB behind him otherwise his need to cut inside becomes predictable. Guilbert adds so much to our attacking game. 

Dean must have read our posts mate.

• Like 2

Have to say I didn't see Guilbert being this good in the Premier League. Knew he was rapid and dangerous going forward, but he was pretty solid defensive today.

38 minutes ago, av1 said:

This is spot on. No chance Jota has so much impact on the game without Guilbert overlapping.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Have to say I didn't see Guilbert being this good in the Premier League. Knew he was rapid and dangerous going forward, but he was pretty solid defensive today.

This is spot on. No chance Jota has so much impact on the game without Guilbert overlapping.

Jota wont, we've seen it when hes come on previously, with elmo at right back he was totally ineffective.

Hes a clever player but needs distraction around him to create, he gets it with fred Gilbert 

• Like 2

We have been crying out for a fullback like this for years . He's a straight up lunatic with and without the ball but for me it's his technique which excites me most . There was a moment in the game where  he was the last man in a central position and I believe Mings headed the ball right at Fred's feet with a striker closing him quickly . He just swept it away with his left foot like it was second nature to him . Doesn't seem like much but it's a hard skill to master , especially on the half volley with your weaker foot. There's a lot of Ajax in this fella.

• Like 1

Wouldn't underestimate his role in our first goal. Yes, Jota played a superb ball, but:

• It was Guilbert who made the run for the quick free kick
  • It was Guilbert who carried and played it to Jota
  • It was Guilbert who continued his run, dragging the right back off Jota just enough

from there, Jota had the time and space to pick the pass.

Brilliant from Guilbert.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, av1 said:

This exactly. Hoping we see a similar thing on the left when targett gets a chance.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheMightyVillans said:

This exactly. Hoping we see a similar thing on the left when targett gets a chance.

Completely agree. The modern wing back absolutely needs to do both, or you sacrifice a critical element of your play. Particularly so in a match against so called 'technically superior' opposition, where counter attacking is also your best chance of suppressing the opposition.

Taylor has admitedly been very solid defensively in all three matches so far and is getting forward more than I ever remember him doing in a Villa shirt, but his woeful lack of attacking nous really kills us at times - note the moment he broke free down the left and skied his cross with utterly predictable inevitability.

Great debut. What impressed me the most was how he bounced back from a pretty poor opening 10mins. He didn't go into his shell and let it effect him, he just carried in with his normal game and his quality shone through. 

Good player. 

3 hours ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Completely agree. The modern wing back absolutely needs to do both, or you sacrifice a critical element of your play. Particularly so in a match against so called 'technically superior' opposition, where counter attacking is also your best chance of suppressing the opposition.

Taylor has admitedly been very solid defensively in all three matches so far and is getting forward more than I ever remember him doing in a Villa shirt, but his woeful lack of attacking nous really kills us at times - note the moment he broke free down the left and skied his cross with utterly predictable inevitability.

Unfortunately it's Guilbert or Elmo and Targett or Taylor that plays. Guilbert and Elmo would be great.

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I did.

I know some of us were banging the ‘how good was he in pre-season?!’ drum, and it was only pre-season against weak teams, but he literally ran those teams ragged in a way that Targett didn’t (a Premier League player), and in a way that I didn’t see Elmo or Taylor do in any of the previous pre-seasons.

It’s obviously early days still, but he looks like a better, right-sided Amavi.

• Like 1

I wonder if he is our quickest player. He looked it last night.

Jesus, imagine being a defender and seeing him & McGinn running at your like whippets, with Wesley’s power heading in your direction, Jota & Jack’s creativity pulling you aside, with El Ghazi or Trezeguet in your peripherals. I’d just stop, drop and roll off the pitch if I was them. 

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Jesus, imagine being a defender and seeing him & McGinn running at your like whippets, with Wesley’s power heading in your direction, Jota & Jack’s creativity pulling you aside, with El Ghazi or Trezeguet in your peripherals. I’d just stop, drop and roll off the pitch if I was them. 

I don’t think Man City would care one bit, mate.

• Haha 1

We signed this guy with the intention of being a Championship player, and nothing we've seen (pre-season and last night) has shown has shown him to be anything other than comfortably Premier League quality. I'd say he could be one of our shrewdest signings for years, but.. John McGinn. He's up there though.

16 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Freddy, Freddy, Freddy, Freddy, Freddy, 

Fred Guiiiiil-bert,

He’s fast and ****, he’s fast as f*******k

• Like 1

Â