Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

All this talking of playing RB's at RW and Grealish at LW, I thought I clicked on a thread from last year when Bruce was in charge. Talk about shoe horning. 

People on here just seem so desperate to see him and Targett play and i can understand that.

They are both new arrivals and that always brings excitement, but as i've said before and Smith would probably agree with this. There is no reason to change players if they are doing well. 

Targett and Guilbert will both get they're chances. Either through injuries, suspensions or in Cup Games. It's up to them to be ready and grab they're chance when they get it.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

All this talking of playing RB's at RW and Grealish at LW, I thought I clicked on a thread from last year when Bruce was in charge. Talk about shoe horning. 

Yeah it's very annoying.

That being said, Grealish has said on more than one occasion that his preferred position is on the left of a front three.

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

People on here just seem so desperate to see him and Targett play and i can understand that.

They are both new arrivals and that always brings excitement, but as i've said before and Smith would probably agree with this. There is no reason to change players if they are doing well. 

I wouldn't say Elmo's doing well. Get Guilbert in on Friday and let's see what he can do.

I said it before the season started; if Trez was starting so would Elmo. Jota, would play with Guilbert. Especially early doors. 

I expect Jota to replace El Ghazi against Everton. Jota likes to cut inside, therefore to add balance you need a fullback to overlap him to create that dummy run. Therefore I expect to see Guilbert in as well. Tactical decision over anything that Elmo has/hasn’t done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lord Willard said:

Patience is a thing of the past.

8 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fair enough. As soon as I posted it I actually thought he was decent going forward on Sat. Think he dwelled on it once and lost it near our goal (like he did against Spurs) and that stuck in my mind.

Anyway...contract is deserved.

5 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

Hope to see both Guilbert and Targett tomorrow need to attack there full backs to keep them back from attacking us

But what if their full backs attack our full backs to keep us back from attacking them ? Curses !..

17 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I wouldn't say Elmo's doing well. Get Guilbert in on Friday and let's see what he can do.

Elmo is doing fine no reason at all to replace him with Guilbert yet.

Don't get the fascination with getting Guilbert on, I think people are wrongly assuming he going to be constantly bombing forward and raining crosses into the box, just as a comparison he had 2 assists and scored 1 goal last season, Elmo had 8 assists and 2 goals.

2 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Elmo is doing fine no reason at all to replace him with Guilbert yet.

Don't get the fascination with getting Guilbert on, I think people are wrongly assuming he going to be constantly bombing forward and raining crosses into the box, just as a comparison he had 2 assists and scored 1 goal last season, Elmo had 8 assists and 2 goals.

In pre-season he was doing exactly that. Last season he was playing for inferior team that ultimately got relegated, I don't feel like you can compare.

I feel like with the way we play we are crying-out for over-lapping fullbacks that overload the opposition on their final third, and Elmo and Taylor (as solid as they have been so far) don't offer that.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, carewjust4u said:

In pre-season he was doing exactly that. Last season he was playing for inferior team that ultimately got relegated, I don't feel like you can compare.

I feel like with the way we play we are crying-out for over-lapping fullbacks that overload the opposition on their final third, and Elmo and Taylor (as solid as they have been so far) don't offer that.

So Guilbert didn't get many assists whilst playing for a struggling team ?  - sure he will get loads for us...

In fairness Elmo did well on Saturday, people talking about no end product. He put in a great ball for grealish who missed an absolute sitter.

There were another few crosses put in which found Taylor who should have scored and another couple that found men in good positions.

Can't recall if all of these crosses were Elmo but the grealish one definitely was

41 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

In fairness Elmo did well on Saturday, people talking about no end product. He put in a great ball for grealish who missed an absolute sitter.

There were another few crosses put in which found Taylor who should have scored and another couple that found men in good positions.

Can't recall if all of these crosses were Elmo but the grealish one definitely was

I was just looked at his WhoScored page, because I keep seeing people saying he was our MOTM, but I didn't feel like that at the game.

WhoScored says he had 11 crosses, and of them 4 found a teammate. I feel like that, alone, adds context to this 'he was the highest rated player' line that keeps coming up Elmo's defence. Obviously, 7 of his crosses not finding a teammate doesn't mean they were bad crosses, as they could have just been defended well. However, my feeling from the game was that a good portion of his crosses were floated into a deep area (or one or two went out of play), whereas I'd prefer them to be whipped with pace into a more dangerous area. 

You've mentioned the two that went to Taylor and Grealish, but the one that keeps sticking in my mind (maybe just because I was hoping it would come to something), was the one that went to McGinn, but because it was so deep and floated, McGinn's header had little power and was an easy catch from the keeper.

I think Elmo will keep his place against Everton, and I won't begrudge him starting. However, I would like to see whether Guilbert can look as pivotal in the Prem as he looked for us in pre-season.

3 hours ago, carewjust4u said:

Come on its pre season against some pretty inferior teams, I think DS has got him in as a long term replacement for Elmo and because of the type of player he is, very much a heart on his sleeve gives everything for the team type by all accounts.

Good read https://onefootball.com/en/news/what-aston-villa-fans-can-expect-from-frederic-guilbert-en-25817581?variable=20190823 

23 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

I said it before the season started; if Trez was starting so would Elmo. Jota, would play with Guilbert. Especially early doors. 

I expect Jota to replace El Ghazi against Everton. Jota likes to cut inside, therefore to add balance you need a fullback to overlap him to create that dummy run. Therefore I expect to see Guilbert in as well. Tactical decision over anything that Elmo has/hasn’t done.

I reckon Grealish will move out to the left and Hourihane will come back in to the middle with Luiz holding - all at the expense of El Ghazi who's struggling to find his feet.

31 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

I reckon Grealish will move out to the left and Hourihane will come back in to the middle with Luiz holding - all at the expense of El Ghazi who's struggling to find his feet.

Personally don’t see that happening at all. Smith will want Jack through the middle 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Personally don’t see that happening at all. Smith will want Jack through the middle 

Jack looks the most dangerous when he cuts inside from wide areas. That's how Luiz got his goal on saturday

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Jack looks the most dangerous when he cuts inside from wide areas. That's how Luiz got his goal on saturday

He was still playing centrally, and then moves out wide (think the goal came from a second phase of a corner). Anyway we’re going off topic. 

As for guilbert, don’t think he’ll be in squad again tonight. Smith mentioned that Targett has to work for his place in the team and so same would seemingly apply to Guilbert (who I’m not sure was even mentioned)

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

He was still playing centrally, and then moves out wide (think the goal came from a second phase of a corner). Anyway we’re going off topic. 

As for guilbert, don’t think he’ll be in squad again tonight. Smith mentioned that Targett has to work for his place in the team and so same would seemingly apply to Guilbert (who I’m not sure was even mentioned)

Patience. Guilbert chance will come. Either through injuries/suspension or in Cup games.

It's up to him to grab it when it comes. I 100 % agree with Smith here. Have to earn you're right into the team.

Â