Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, kevpants said:

That touch/clearance/pass in the box that led to the 3rd goal is emblematic of him. 

Does well to get out in front to the ball but his brain is so far from his feet he goes full baby giraffe and does that. 

How many more mistakes that lead to goals does Mings have to make before the penny drops ? It's criminal the amount of points we have lost due to his errors. 

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

How many more mistakes that lead to goals does Mings have to make before the penny drops ? It's criminal the amount of points we have lost due to his errors. 

Is it? How many points have we dropped this season due to his errors?

8 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Too many for my liking. If he  was a quality centre- half there wouldn't  be debate about his future, on here and in the national media . Imo, he needs replacing for next season. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

9 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

This is why it's important to watch football and not just read stats. I know his "errors leading to goals" stat isn't that bad. But it's not just that it's about momentum and confidence, the fact that we're all waiting for him to tread on the ball or fall over his feet means the players probably are too, and he's our captain. It's hard to measure but compare it how you feel seeing Thiago Silva or Van Dijk. Making it look easy is hard to quantify and it's not to be confused with Mings when he tries to make it look easy, and he just looks casual, then falls over himself.

I like the guys attitude and personality but for instance I already trust Chambers more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kevpants said:

This is why it's important to watch football and not just read stats. I know his "errors leading to goals" stat isn't that bad. But it's not just that it's about momentum and confidence, the fact that we're all waiting for him to tread on the ball or fall over his feet means the players probably are too, and he's our captain. It's hard to measure but compare it how you feel seeing Thiago Silva or Van Dijk. Making it look easy is hard to quantify and it's not to be confused with Mings when he tries to make it look easy, and he just looks casual, then falls over himself.

I like the guys attitude and personality but for instance I already trust Chambers more.

I haven’t felt nervous about Mings since Gerrard took over. He’s become much more consistent since then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

I haven’t felt nervous about Mings since Gerrard took over. He’s become much more consistent since then.

He trod on the ball against Liverpool for their equliser and ballsed up his touch for City's 3rd yesterday. He's outwardly and obviously flapping, just like he always has.

8 minutes ago, kevpants said:

I know that there is more to the game than stats but he is, IMO, our best defender at this moment and has improved with his "head in the clouds" moments since Gerrard came in. I think if you put someone more ball-playing alongside him he would improve further. Blaming him for the goals yesterday and against Liverpool is just madness IMO. There are other factors and other players involved in both of those goals you mentioned in the other post.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, kevpants said:

He trod on the ball against Liverpool for their equliser and ballsed up his touch for City's 3rd yesterday. He's outwardly and obviously flapping, just like he always has.

Well that’s just harsh to put the blame on him for both of those goals. Liverpool was a mistake by him but it wasn’t directly responsible for the goal. Nor was the Man City clearance attempt.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Too many for my liking. If he  was a quality centre- half there wouldn't  be debate about his future, on here and in the national media . Imo, he needs replacing for next season. 

1 error leading to goal according to the PL this season. What would you like from your centre half? 0 ideally but being realistic it's not bad and improving on him, I mean guaranteed improvement, will cost about 40 million.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, kevpants said:

ballsed up his touch for City's 3rd yesterday. 

I mean come on :D

He's intercepted the ball, and if Luiz is awake, it goes straight to him. Mings does literally nothing wrong.

• Like 1

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

I mean come on :D

He's intercepted the ball, and if Luiz is awake, it goes straight to him. Mings does literally nothing wrong.

100000% a proper DM reacts quicker there. Someone of that Kamara's ilk from Marseille would be a great option.

I think Luis would have expected better from Mings there. I thought Mings was great in that game, but that touch by Mings is neither a pass or a clearance, and it's a shame. I wish he'd just leathered it! That's not on Luis—at worst maybe a bit of fatigue from the both of them.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rolta said:

I think Luis would have expected better from Mings there. I thought Mings was great in that game, but that touch by Mings is neither a pass or a clearance, and it's a shame. I wish he'd just leathered it!

I don't think he can in the risk of the city player stepping across him and drawing a foul if he takes a big swing at it, he hasn't got the space 

Mings could do slightly better but I don't think that necessarily appreciates the good play by city, its a good run and a good pass which mings has done well to cut out, I think that move actually beats a lot of CBs, it's a run in behind him but he sees it and his position and body shape is good, that's not easy to do, the starting position of the striker doesn't turn him around which would have put him in a lot of trouble 

Luiz simply has to do better

Same as what I posted vs liverpool though, it's not a "mistake" you can comment if you think it's good or bad defending but it's not a mistake 

40 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think Luis would have expected better from Mings there. I thought Mings was great in that game, but that touch by Mings is neither a pass or a clearance, and it's a shame. I wish he'd just leathered it! That's not on Luis—at worst maybe a bit of fatigue from the both of them.

Leathered it where?  You don't relieve pressure by punting it out of bounds. There was still 15 minutes to go. You relieve pressure by possessing the ball.  Make Man City chase you for a chnage. 

I think it was a pass but Luiz was, probably due to fatigue, not on his toes to receive it. Put better midfield options in front of our backline and they will look twice as good. 

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

If we actually had a proper defensive midfielder who can tackle and pass the ball, Mings and Konsa/Chambers/Hause would look a lot more solid.  It one of the main reasons holding us back, not Mings.

Absolutely this, also a CB alongside side him who is willing to share the load with regards to ball progression

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

He just doesn't fill me with confidence in the way a Melberg or Laursen did.

That is true but that is a high bar but probably one we need to be heading towards. I'd be more inclined to put a ball playing defender beside him and let him concentrate on just defending as his ball playing abilities aren't all that anyway. As I mentioned above I think that he has improved a lot since Gerrard came in. He seems a lot more tuned in. He is one of the last I'd be looking to replace at the minute.

51 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I don't think he can in the risk of the city player stepping across him and drawing a foul if he takes a big swing at it, he hasn't got the space 

Mings could do slightly better but I don't think that necessarily appreciates the good play by city, its a good run and a good pass which mings has done well to cut out, I think that move actually beats a lot of CBs, it's a run in behind him but he sees it and his position and body shape is good, that's not easy to do, the starting position of the striker doesn't turn him around which would have put him in a lot of trouble 

Luiz simply has to do better

Same as what I posted vs liverpool though, it's not a "mistake" you can comment if you think it's good or bad defending but it's not a mistake 

People seem to be waiting to jump on him and blame him for anything and everything. I’d agree a good DM is all over that 3rd goal yesterday. We also need to remember we were playing against a squad costing a billion quid that have won the league 4 times out of 5. 

Â