Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

that for me personally is why i don't like the word mistake, I think bad defending gets dragged in to being a mistake and then the mistakes leading to goals stats always look low in comparison

I would class alisson last night as bad goalkeeping rather than a mistake, what mings did kind of sits in between the 2, its definitely bad football but I'm not sure its a mistake

seen talk of who made a mistake for liverpools 2nd goal and for me no one did really, there's some sloppy passing, there's someone not being switched on, there's the old argument about how aggressively you close down a player, some bad positioning but there's no mistake in there, its a good goal from them

there's a clamor to find a mistake after every goal, I hate it

i'll throw something else in as well, keita whiffed an easy goal, completely miskicked it with his right and it hit his left, it happens! maybe it shouldnt but it does, it happens down the power league, it happens on a sunday morning and it happens in the PL, there's very little appreciation for it even though really people who play football should know exactly why it happens

Edit: nevermind.

Edited by est1874

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Last season Konsa made less blocks (shots and otherwise), clearances, tackles + interceptions than Mings, was significantly worse in the air than him, as well as almost all aspects of possession from how many touches he had, how far he carried the ball, how progressive his passing was and so forth.

It isn't just that Konsa is having a dip this season, Mings has always been a better, more important player than him that is much less replaceable. 

I think the thing with Konsa was that he did so little last season that he looked good. He wasn't making mistakes, or getting the attention because he wasn't particularly doing anything. This season he's added errors to his doing nothing which makes him appear significantly worse. 

Mings, on the other hand, has still made the odd error leading to a goal,  as well as a number of errors leading to a chance for the opposition. But when he hasn't been making these he's been commanding and generally very good. 

The recent form is a perfect microcosm of his season... 3 excellent games followed by a bit of a mare of a performance. That level of consistency is exactly where we are at the moment and good enough for us to move up the table if we sort out the bigger issue of our midfield and misfiring strikers. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

I'm not sure why Mings is still a starter

so you genuinely would start a combination of chambers/konsa/hause and leave mings on the bench??

• Like 2

3 hours ago, duke313 said:

Well he's a defender, where do you want him to be?

Holding a clear line (so as not to play everyone onside), attacking the ball when it's there to be won, getting close to opponents who have the ball, stepping up and blocking shots and crosses, not blocking the goalkeeper's view by falling back when an opponent is about to shoot, getting tight to an opponent who has his back to goal to prevent him from turning.... 

He's great when everything is in front of him and 25+ yards from our goal, but once he gets turned around or is faced with 1v1 situations he is nowhere near at an elite level.  He's not a sweeper, he's a centre-back.  Big difference. 

• Like 1

I think he is the best of what we have.....and I am not sure Hause is the worst of what we have right now.

..............take that as you like it.

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Not on everyone but you start to wonder if there is an agenda from some posters and Tyrone.

He is the best defender st the club. We won't be buying 2 CBs so fully expect him to be starting for us next season.

I can only see a more experienced defender coming him to partner, not replace him. He’s not going anywhere. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Mings is the best English CB - discuss.

For me yes he is

Too many will look solely at him and criticise him without looking at the other contenders, it's not a good bunch but realistically it's mings, maguire, stones, walker, gomez, white, coady, guehi, tomori, godfrey

It should be stones but he doesn't play for city 

Stones and Mings should start the world cup 

• Like 1

Just now, villa4europe said:

For me yes he is

Too many will look solely at him and criticise him without looking at the other contenders, it's not a good bunch but realistically it's mings, maguire, stones, walker, gomez, white, coady, guehi, tomori, godfrey

It should be stones but he doesn't play for city 

Stones and Mings should start the world cup 

I think Ben White has been very good. But England in the Euro’s looked very solid with Stones and Mings. Slabhead is diabolical. 

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Mings is the best English CB - discuss.

Yup. Best of a bad bunch. 

It is pure madness that Slabhead plays for either England or United.

Edit: I'd say Coady is probably my next highest rated centre back. Then probably Ben White.  Stones doesn't play enough to get a mention. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, mykeyb said:

I have just watched the highlights of the match and dont understand what some posters expect Mings to have done in the build up to the equaliser.

put his right foot through it first time

but at the same time I think I can see and understand why he didn't, its not as easy as it will be made out to be

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

put his right foot through it first time

but at the same time I think I can see and understand why he didn't, its not as easy as it will be made out to be

Have you watched the highlights? when does he have the opportunity to put his foot through it?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Have you watched the highlights? when does he have the opportunity to put his foot through it?

yep

first time, watching it again its not even his right foot, his body shape means he could put his left foot through that smashing it out for a corner or a throw

like i said i understand why he doesnt because its a ball dropping at an awkward height across 2 other players and then with how he shaped up he can actually take a bad touch because there is no liverpool player out there in front of him, if he takes a really heavy touch then it will fall to ings, he has time and space to bring it down away from his body using his left foot but it gets trapped under his body instead because the height of the ball causes him to leave the ground, he miskicks it, i think its jota going to ground right next to him thats caused the last split second bit of uncertainty and thats what has done it

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1

Â