Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

I think Luis would have expected better from Mings there. I thought Mings was great in that game, but that touch by Mings is neither a pass or a clearance, and it's a shame. I wish he'd just leathered it! That's not on Luis—at worst maybe a bit of fatigue from the both of them.

I was just about to post this myself. He's not expecting Mings to have a touch like that.

• Like 1

What about Matty Cash at the back stick.....Twice. Regardless of Mings cut out, Luiz not getting to the ball, that cross should never have got to the back post without being cut out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It was 100% not a pass. He is obviously trying to control it.

im not sure its either, more than anything else he's just trying to play the ball and cut it out

a softer touch and he can win the 2nd ball, a heavier touch and it might end up further clear and falling to us somewhere else (i doubt that though)

29 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

That is true but that is a high bar but probably one we need to be heading towards. I'd be more inclined to put a ball playing defender beside him and let him concentrate on just defending as his ball playing abilities aren't all that anyway. As I mentioned above I think that he has improved a lot since Gerrard came in. He seems a lot more tuned in. He is one of the last I'd be looking to replace at the minute.

Sorry, not for me. 

20 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

What about Matty Cash at the back stick.....Twice. Regardless of Mings cut out, Luiz not getting to the ball, that cross should never have got to the back post without being cut out. 

I mentioned Cash along with Mings earlier on in the season, on account of their numerous, expensive errors. Tbh, Cash has improved immensely since I posted that, but yesterday he was back to those error- prone habits. Where are the calm heads in time of need ? That's where Mings as a captain doesn't do it for me. When he needs to be vocal he seems to lose his voice.

I think the 3rd goal is on the entire backline for me, they are all over the place at the time, Digne should be closer to Mings along with Luiz. Then Cash I think was also at fault for his positioning

4 hours ago, sparrow1988 said:

1 error leading to goal according to the PL this season. What would you like from your centre half? 0 ideally but being realistic it's not bad and improving on him, I mean guaranteed improvement, will cost about 40 million.

If he wasn’t in our defence we’d never win a defensive header.

Way down on the list of players to replace. 

With a better and proper CDM in front of him and maybe a new top draw CB, I think he could shine.

He’s a leader, organiser and captain, maybe another leader next to him will help him improve. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I mean come on :D

He's intercepted the ball, and if Luiz is awake, it goes straight to him. Mings does literally nothing wrong.

I'm sorry but if you think a defensive clearance, pass whatever that goes back to the centre, just outside the box isn't a massive mistake then you don't understand football. He's played the ball at a gentle pace to the edge of our box, it's literally under 7s coaching that teaches defenders not to do that. Always clear wide. 

If it was a pass it's a bigger mistake becasue he mis-hit the pass and it was a dangerous pass to play first time in a defensive situation.

No matter what way you spin this it wa s a massive mistake from Mings.

I'll defend him when the same people who don't understand football slam him for losing his marker which can be down to good forward play. This was a balls up.

2 minutes ago, kevpants said:

I'm sorry but if you think a defensive clearance, pass whatever that goes back to the centre, just outside the box isn't a massive mistake then you don't understand football. He's played the ball at a gentle pace to the edge of our box, it's literally under 7s coaching that teaches defenders not to do that. Always clear wide. 

If it was a pass it's a bigger mistake becasue he mis-hit the pass and it was a dangerous pass to play first time in a defensive situation.

No matter what way you spin this it wa s a massive mistake from Mings.

I'll defend him when the same people who don't understand football slam him for losing his marker which can be down to good forward play. This was a balls up.

if you think thats him just casually playing the ball then sorry but you dont understand football

its an attempt to get his foot on the ball to cut out a good pass to a good run, that is good forward play from city, it is a lot harder than it looks 

yes he can take a better touch, heavier or lighter, he can put it out for a corner, he can take a wild swing at it and put it in the stands, first and foremost he's just trying to win the ball which he does, but its not a mistake, you can say its bad defending (which its not) but its not a mistake 

luiz has to win that second ball, absolutely has to, he can even foul KDB, he can motion towards it and force KDB to take a poorer touch but he doesn't even try and play it 

id drag ramsey in to it because he's static too and cash because he's lost gundogan before i pointed at mings for that 

33 minutes ago, spiezels said:

If he wasn’t in our defence we’d never win a defensive header.

Way down on the list of players to replace. 

With a better and proper CDM in front of him and maybe a new top draw CB, I think he could shine.

He’s a leader, organiser and captain, maybe another leader next to him will help him improve. 

I don't think he wears the arm - band next season. We need a captain who can rally the troops when they need it most. Who was trying to bring some calmness and self - belief to the players when we conceded that first goal on Sunday ? If we got Phillips, I think he would be ideal. He seems like a natural leader. That Dennis Mortimer kind of leadership,  quietly efficient and most importantly, a calm head when others heads are hanging.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

if you think thats him just casually playing the ball then sorry but you dont understand football

its an attempt to get his foot on the ball to cut out a good pass to a good run, that is good forward play from city, it is a lot harder than it looks 

yes he can take a better touch, heavier or lighter, he can put it out for a corner, he can take a wild swing at it and put it in the stands, first and foremost he's just trying to win the ball which he does, but its not a mistake, you can say its bad defending (which its not) but its not a mistake 

luiz has to win that second ball, absolutely has to, he can even foul KDB, he can motion towards it and force KDB to take a poorer touch but he doesn't even try and play it 

id drag ramsey in to it because he's static too and cash because he's lost gundogan before i pointed at mings for that 

It's almost like there is usually many little factors that result in a goal being scored rather than one big f*** up. Sometimes there is a massive brainfart from someone but this is not one of these times.

• Like 1

Just now, sparrow1988 said:

It's almost like there is usually many little factors that result in a goal being scored rather than one big f*** up. Sometimes there is a massive brainfart from someone but this is not one of these times.

Sometimes it's one of the top 3 teams in the world having ten players camped around your box. Once we got pinned that far back it's just a matter of when not if we concede. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, kevpants said:

It was a pass he intercepted not a shot. The City player next to him was attempting to control it. Why didn't Mings? And if he didn't feel right about controlling it, connect with it and clear it. He did neither.

I'm much more willing to accept mistakes when they're a matter of executing incorrectly than I am the mistake of not doing anything at all, which is what Luiz did. Go back and watch the highlight and watch how Luiz just looks at the ball and waits for it, allowing de Bruyne to swoop it up. Tyrone made a mistake. Douglas was just lazy.

52 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I don't think he wears the arm - band next season. We need a captain who can rally the troops when they need it most. Who was trying to bring some calmness and self - belief to the players when we conceded that first goal on Sunday ? If we got Phillips, I think he would be ideal. He seems like a natural leader. That Dennis Mortimer kind of leadership,  quietly efficient and most importantly, a calm head when others heads are hanging.

You think kalvin Phillips with 1 season in the prem should be made captain? 

are ya totally mad. Haha 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, spiezels said:

You think kalvin Phillips with 1 season in the prem should be made captain? 

are ya totally mad. 

Most certainly. The man strikes me as a natural leader. He has that calmness to his game, which is more than I can say for our current captain. Like I said, I think SG wants qualities from his captain that he doesn't see in Mings.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Ty is a great captain. Far better than Maguire. He is a brilliant leader of the back 4 in terms of organisation. And a role model in terms of his intelligence and willingness to speak up for causes most footballers wouldn't . 

What he struggles with is not leadership or organisation. Its that he has a mistake in him.  Take his mistakes out of the equation and he is everything a captain should be. 

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Most certainly. The man strikes me as a natural leader. He has that calmness to his game, which is more than I can say for our current captain. Like I said, I think SG wants qualities from his captain that he doesn't see in Mings.

Phillips isnt even in the 3 captains at Leeds the team that finished 17th

Behind such legendary warriors like Luke Ayling and Stuart Dallas 

Personally, unless we are looking to move Ming's on I'm not sure replacing him as Captain is great for continuity moving forward. I'd expect Ming's to big enough to handle being replaced as captain but I'm not sure it's necessary. Unless we bring in a peer that everyone can see should wear the armband. It's a tricky one.  

Edited by avfc1982am

Â