Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

10 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is what i was alluding to. now players will just stand offside, and challenge as soon as defenders touch the ball. they will 100% change the wording here

Why would they stand offside in that scenario? If they want to challenge the defender they would stand next to the defender?

Usually a striker wants to be as clear of the defender as possible so they can receive the ball. They are not going to stand in an offside position as they will not be in a position to receive the ball. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

But it's the rules.

By chesting it down instead of letting it go a new situation is created.

VAR did everything right as a matter of fact. It's just that the rules are really dumb

Mings is dilly dallying on the ball and being casual that is the error and that is why we concede the goal.

How many times do you see (And it happened last night) player in the midfield passes a ball out wider and gets caught late, ball goes to the winger who then miscontrols and gets tackled and the game gets pulled back for the free kick as there was no advantage

Last night Mings controls it and Rodri then intercepts due to the offside position he was in and so it should be pulled back for the offside as there was no advantage - The rule thats in place contradicts how the game is played elsewhere on the picth

And Savage pretending he knew it was a rule just finished me off!

Also on a side note Tyronne Mings was outstanding last night, hes an absolute leader for that team and backline - As i said before i think he has been outspoken on a few things and for some reason that seams to have been held against him when what he said was absolutely spot on

• Like 2

Just now, LondonLax said:

Why would they stand offside in that scenario? If they want to challenge the defender they would stand next to the defender?

Usually a striker wants to be as clear of the defender as possible so they can receive the ball. They are not going to stand in an offside position as they will not be in a position to receive the ball. 

because the defender then needs to have to look behind him in addition to up-field and be aware of where the attacking player is, when historically they've not been required to. if they know an attacker is there, they're more inclined to punt it back to the attacking team rather than risk being tackled as Mings was

4 minutes ago, cb_82 said:

How many times do you see (And it happened last night) player in the midfield passes a ball out wider and gets caught late, ball goes to the winger who then miscontrols and gets tackled and the game gets pulled back for the free kick as there was no advantage

Last night Mings controls it and Rodri then intercepts due to the offside position he was in and so it should be pulled back for the offside as there was no advantage - The rule thats in place contradicts how the game is played elsewhere on the picth

And Savage pretending he knew it was a rule just finished me off!

Also on a side note Tyronne Mings was outstanding last night, hes an absolute leader for that team and backline - As i said before i think he has been outspoken on a few things and for some reason that seams to have been held against him when what he said was absolutely spot on

He's just unbelievable. An absolute smug wind-up merchant without an ounce of professionalism. Someone needs to invent one of those Black Mirror eye-phone's that let you block him from being seen or heard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

It would never be given if was United, flag would have went up or VAR would disallow it

Yep, but you look at the way these rules are being written and it’s all grey and suited to the situation at the moment. That way if the refs stuff up, there’s enough wiggle room ro back the poor decision on the field. 

We all played football from when we were young and that was never anything other than offside, 10 years ago you probably received a yellow card for   Being cynical.

I hope it causes carnage now. Players waiting behind defenders and clipping it over their heads.

Don't linos usually flag as soon as the offside player moves towards to ball? Oh yeah, they do every single time except this one scenario.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't linos usually flag as soon as the offside player moves towards to ball? Oh yeah, they do every single time except this one scenario.

They're told to keep them down so VAR can check after. But youre ending up with bizarre situations where linos aren't flagging for obvious offsides anymore. 

Just now, StefanAVFC said:

They're told to keep them down so VAR can check after. But youre ending up with bizarre situations where linos aren't flagging for obvious offsides anymore. 

Yeah, then the wording of laws is bent to suit needs.

They're only meant to keep them down if they aren't sure hopefully. If that prick can't see he's offside he should be struck off.

I'm still raging about this.

The rule is obviously intended for situations like the following:

• Defender passes or heads the ball back to keeper, attacker runs on to it from an "offside" position.
  • Keeper catches the ball cleanly. Walks a few steps, drops the ball on to the ground, attacker steals it from an "offside" position.
  • Player brings the ball down cleanly, takes a touch, looks around, attacker steals it from an "offside" position.

The Mings control isn't even complete when Rodri tackles him.

And I disagree actually that it was particularly bad control by Mings. He's bringing it down on his chest, and then needs another touch to get it the floor. That's one play.

The way almost everyone would interpret that is Mings is still engaging in the original interception of a ball forward by Man City, which an offside player has run towards.

It's not the rule that needs rewriting - it's the bullshit interpretation. The wording leaves open the sensible interpretation. Just need to clarify that a "deliberate play" can be multiple touches to get a ball under control, and the new phase only starts when that deliberate play has been completed.

• Like 2

Here are the rules:-

A player in an offside position at the moment the ball is played or touched* by a team-mate is only penalised on becoming involved in active play by:

• interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate or
  • interfering with an opponent by:
  • preventing an opponent from playing or being able to play the ball by clearly obstructing the opponent’s line of vision or
  • challenging an opponent for the ball or
  • clearly attempting to play a ball which is close when this action impacts on an opponent or
  • making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball
  • *The first point of contact of the 'play' or 'touch' of the ball should be used
  • or
  • gaining an advantage by playing the ball or interfering with an opponent when it has:
  • rebounded or been deflected off the goalpost, crossbar or an opponent
  • been deliberately saved by any opponent
  • A player in an offside position receiving the ball from an opponent who deliberately plays the ball, including by deliberate handball, is not considered to have gained an advantage, unless it was a deliberate save by any opponent. 

2 points the rules above say a player is offside - he makes challenge for the ball  (Tick)

The bottom point key though - He didn't receive the ball from an opponent he went and got it. Challenge  I believe is the  word.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've only just seen it as I was listening to the second half in the car, **** me that's one of the most ridiculous interpretations of a law I've seen.  I'm not sure it would have been that easy for Mings to just clear it, it was a loopy header from the City player so hard to get distance if Mings chose to head it and not an easy ball to volley clear either, especially as Rodri was closing him down within a second of the ball reaching him.  My only criticism of Mings is when he lets the ball bounce and overplays, getting tackled, but I can't fault him for what happened there.  Like everyone else I can't see why someone having their armpit offside is gaining an unfair advantage and this isn't.  It's so depressing.

• Like 1

Posted this in the match review thread but deserves viewing in here too.

Why was this disallowed? Surely after they cleared it, it became a new phase of play?

Proof of their inconsistency with applying the rules and their consistency of being utter useless, corrupt clowns.

I can handle the bad decision by the ref, lino and VAR.

What I can't handle is Robbie Savage and a load of Man City fans who started watching football 5 years ago saying they always knew this was the rule. And the PGMOL getting in Peter Walton's ear. It's bullshit.

Mings is clearly still getting the ball under control as Rodri tackles him. As @hippo says, Rodri doesn't "receive" it from Mings, he interferes with Mings trying to intercept a ball forward.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCJonah said:

I'm just getting more angry throughout the day

Yes me to. because the more the look at the rules the goal should have stood. if you hop into other football - officiating topic - there is clip of an identical incident in a game last night - where the player was immediately flagged offside. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I can handle the bad decision by the ref, lino and VAR.

What I can't handle is Robbie Savage and a load of Man City fans who started watching football 5 years ago saying they always knew this was the rule. And the PGMOL getting in Peter Walton's ear. It's bullshit.

Mings is clearly still getting the ball under control as Rodri tackles him. As @hippo says, Rodri doesn't "receive" it from Mings, he interferes with Mings trying to intercept a ball forward.

Yeah this is it. To say that Ming's chest is the "control" and his first touch with his foot is a pass that Rodri could "receive" is absolute bollocks. He is trying to trap a ball launched from 30 yards away - the chest and first touch are all part of getting the ball under control during which he is tackled by Rodri mid-way through . If his second touch had been a pass back to Martinez which was intercepted by Rodri then fair enough and no one would complain, but Rodri came to Mings and intercepted the ball from an offside position mid-way through Ming's collection of the ball. This CLEARLY falls under "challenging an opponent for the ball"

I can stomach a refereeing error, its a hard job, but this an error by the ref, the linesman, another ref with replays (VAR) and the refereeing associate (PGMOL). Just admit it was an error lads and we can move on. The twisting of the rule book to justify a clear error, when everyone with eyeballs can see it is offside, is particularly pathetic.

Edited by mikeyjavfc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â