Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

24 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yes me to. because the more the look at the rules the goal should have stood. if you hop into other football - officiating topic - there is clip of an identical incident in a game last night - where the player was immediately flagged offside. 

if you look at the rules as they were written they can be tenuously interpreted  to absolve themselves of making a mistake.

everyone knows the spirit of the offside rule and what it is intended to achieve. the specific law is to prevent a forward being penalised as offside for a poor defensive backpass because it’s not an offence to stand wherever you want on the pitch, it’s only when your offside position directly influences the game.

In coming back to tackle Mings as he brings the ball down his offside position is influencing the game, it’s as easy as that. The correct interpretation was adhered to in the Juventus clip, and you can see in Ronaldo’s body language he knew he was obviously offside and intentionally gave the free kick away. That’s the game as we all understand it and trying to worm the wording of the law in the way they are is completely disingenuous.

Just now, DCJonah said:

How can anyone criticise Mings for this. 

Yep, he brought the ball down as if Rodri wasn't there, which is the correct thing to do considering he is offside and essentially 'isn't there'.

The funny thing about calling out Mings for making a mistake, and I do think it was maybe naive in a ‘play to the whistle’ sense, is that the best decision wasn’t to clear it but to leave it and let it bounce as Rodri was clearly offside. That should tell you enough about whether him tackling Mings as he brought it down was gaining an advantage from an offside position.

Also if Mings has to clear it because Rodri is offside, then he’s influencing play.

**** me I’m so pissed 😂

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

I think the law needs changing or made clearer, So all players know when an offside player can be active again.

They just changed the law for that incident last night. It was just a temporary change to assist Man Shitty who were struggling to break us down. All is back to normal now.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, a m ole said:

The funny thing about calling out Mings for making a mistake, and I do think it was maybe naive in a ‘play to the whistle’ sense, is that the best decision wasn’t to clear it but to leave it and let it bounce as Rodri was clearly offside. That should tell you enough about whether him tackling Mings as he brought it down was gaining an advantage from an offside position.

Also if Mings has to clear it because Rodri is offside, then he’s influencing play.

**** me I’m so pissed 😂

The thing that pisses me off about the whole "he should have cleared it" crap, is we're being punished for trying to do the right thing. Bring the ball down and play out from the back. Hoofing the ball and having it come straight back at you is exactly what teams like City and Liverpool want you to do.

To blame Mings for this is wrong in every sense. I don't even blame the letter of the laws as I think it's being misinterpreted. That City player didn't "receive the ball" he tackled Mings to "win" the ball. That's where I think they got it wrong. If Mings had chested it down and passed the ball to targett or martinez he's well within his rights to intercept the pass and play the ball, but he didn't.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

They just changed the law for that incident last night. It was just a temporary change to assist Man Shitty who were struggling to break us down. All is back to normal now.

When the pundit referree Peter Walton calls it offside - and then the PL have words - and he retracts it - you know something is up.

He didn't 'receive' the ball - he put in a "challenge" - the rule on challenging from offside is quite clear. The description of receive is freely available in the Oxford dictionary. 

"I didn't steal his wallet your honour I received it"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

When the pundit referree Peter Walton calls it offside - and then the PL have words - and he retracts it - you know something is up.

He didn't 'receive' the ball - he put in a "challenge" - the rule on challenging from offside is quite clear. The description of receive is freely available in the Oxford dictionary. 

"I didn't steal his wallet your honour I received it"

That's brilliant!😂

It's truly pathetic, isn't it? They're not even trying to hide the bias. It's there for all to see.

4 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

You know if it had been a man city defender and that was Watkins what would have happened.

Need to keep the sky 6 at the top at all costs. It is legitimately bent.

I agree Pissflaps

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, a m ole said:

On the other hand, had it been flagged and called offside by the linesman immediately you can guarantee there would have been absolutely 0 mention of it ever again because it would have been the correct call.

The lino does not flag because of VAR I think. 

3 minutes ago, Paulie said:

Why are pundits saying that this is “how the law is set up”?

it most definitely is not how the law is set up, a section of the law is being misapplied.

Exactly, after the fact stretching of wording to cover ones arse. 

• Like 1

Am I wrong in thinking that we should set Ollie up at the edge of the opponents box, lob balls into the channel, and once the defender makes a touch have Ollie jump him and challenge?

that is the same situation no?

Â