Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

34 minutes ago, DeepDish said:

Very good today. Still think he take too much time on the ball and play with too much risk at times, but it looks like he was having more options to pass to today.

Agree so much with this. He does it a few times every match, and lets the attackers Press him while he dawdles on the ball. But is definitely a good defender.

I think we just have to accept that he has a dodgy moment in him but on balance he's a net positive to us. He can really be very good at all aspects of defending and he has all the intangibles to really help us, he's a natural leader and is great at organising the back line.

The thing is, the errors can be eliminated, it seems to be a concentration issue. One thing I notice he has this strange habit of doing a sort of half Cruyff turn in his own box and in so doing puts the ball into his weaker foot. He did this today and by the time it was on his right foot he was getting closed down and then gave Heaton a somewhat poor ball using his weaker foot. It's just a bit of silliness that can be hopefully ironed out of his game.

• Like 2

And to think some were calling for him to be benched before his Injury.

Granted he can play the odd hospital ball, even make the odd mistake, but I will accept that every day of the week and twice on a Sunday, just for his overall ability, presence, fight and the way he demands 100% from himself and others around him, a true leader.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

And to think some were calling for him to be benched before his Injury.

Granted he can play the odd hospital ball, even make the odd mistake, but I will accept that every day of the week and twice on a Sunday, just for his overall ability, presence, fight and the way he demands 100% from himself and others around him, a true leader.

He should be captain in my opinion 

3 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

He should be captain in my opinion 

yeah probably, but when he's on the pitch (and probably off it), he acts like a captain, he doesnt need an armband to be captain imo, he just has a captains personality.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why? Mings acts a leader anyway. But the whole team look to Jack to get us out of trouble, just like the scousers did to gerrard

In my opinion, centre backs make better captains as they can see all of what is in front of them

20 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Why? Mings acts a leader anyway. But the whole team look to Jack to get us out of trouble, just like the scousers did to gerrard

Exactly. And Mings plays the Carragher role in terms of leadership. Worked fine for them and works fine for us!

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, centre backs make better captains as they can see all of what is in front of them

But would you really want to tell Grealish you were taking the captaincy off him? With how he has stepped up his game since getting the armband, it seems like one of the best decisions Smith will make in his managerial career.

• Like 1

You don’t need a captains armband to be a leader.

He’s clearly 2nd in command and whilst he was having some dodgy moments pre-injury, today showed why he’s one of the first names on the team sheet. Absolutely ruled the defence today.

Delighted to have him back in the team.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The thing is, the errors can be eliminated, it seems to be a concentration issue. One thing I notice he has this strange habit of doing a sort of half Cruyff turn in his own box and in so doing puts the ball into his weaker foot. He did this today and by the time it was on his right foot he was getting closed down and then gave Heaton a somewhat poor ball using his weaker foot. It's just a bit of silliness that can be hopefully ironed out of his game.

Pretty sure thats how he got his injury vs Leicester

Mick McCarthy was a guest analyst on BT Sport's FA Cup coverage on Saturday evening.

The Ireland manager revealed that Adam Idah may have earned himself a senior international call up with his hat-trick in Norwich's victory over Preston.

McCarthy was also questioned about some of the players he unearthed during his time in management with one, in particular, being Tyrone Mings.

The Aston Villa and England centre-back was signed by McCarthy for Ipswich in 2012.

"Russell Osman brought him in from Chippenham," McCarthy told BT Sport's Football Tonight.

We were walking across to our under-23s game; it's sort of a pitch's width [away] and I was chatting away to Russell.

I saw the game start and I saw Tyrone do something and something else, then he won a header. I said, 'I'll sign him now', just joking.

We went and watched him and he was different class; proper attitude towards it, good left foot, athletic, big. I said, 'Yeah, done'.

After 70 minutes, he went to nail somebody. Tyrone's a tough lad. He kicked through and somebody's left him a straight leg. He got kicked. I said, 'Take him off'.

We were bringing him off and he's having a chunter at me and he's only here on trial! I said, 'Hold on, I want to sign you. That's why I'm taking you off'. He said, 'Oh, right. That's different'.

I signed him for ten grand, wonders he's done. He's a great lad as well. He's had a really bad injury and he's come back from that. I'm delighted for him.

In response, Mings wrote on Twitter: "When preparation meets opportunity! Loved every day of working with Mick & TC."

https://www.balls.ie/football/mick-mccarthy-signing-tyrone-mings-ipswich-423644

• Like 1

Simply outstanding tonight, was like a magnet to all the crosses and corners in the second half.

We need 3-4 with his mentality in the team. You can see why he's raging at those in the team who were treating being 1 up in a cup semi final first leg as a pre season knock about.

3-5-2 suits him to a tee. Spell out the team done him good.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 3

Â