Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

To be fair to him though before the second goal he had a word in Connors ear and was obviously telling him where to play it.  If Elghazi hadn't of pounced on it first it would have been right at Mings feet for a tap in so he has to take some credit for the goal I feel. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

He had some poor stuff, but I don't think people understand how good he really is. He organizes us defensively for 90 minutes. He saved us also at least twice the last 10 minutes.  

If we have a general it's him. 

No he is the drill sergeant. Grealish is the general. Gets everyone playing together and makes us a lot more effective. Mings gets players to knuckle down and focus. 

Tyrone Mings is comfortably our best centre back by quite some distance, and anyone questioning his place in the starting 11 needs to see a doctor.

Has his form dipped a bit? Yes, from a very high benchmark.

Remember he is always next to our defensively weakest full back (Taylor / Targett) so he has an additional responsibility there, and he leads the backline positionally.

You don't drop the player who leads the line unless he's really costing us games and there's a ready replacement on the bench. Engels and Konsa are very good players, but they aren't ready to take that responsibility.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Ever since his England call up he has become worse with every game for us, was very poor last night

I have noticed the same thing.....However, I also noticed him last night fidgeting and flexing his legs, (when the ball went up front) He looked uneasy.... I think he is carrying a groin strain and playing on with it.

just speculating of course.

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Ever since his England call up he has become worse with every game for us, was very poor last night

I wouldn't say he is very poor, but certainly has a few unforced errors in him, lately.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I have noticed the same thing.....However, I also noticed him last night fidgeting and flexing his legs, (when the ball went up front) He looked uneasy.... I think he is carrying a groin strain and playing on with it.

The groin thing was mentioned as early as Palace away IIRC, guess he feels he can play through games with injections. I was going to say it wouldn't surprise me if he had an operation at end of the season but that would rule him out of euro 2020 and that's his one chance to play at a major tournament so perhaps not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

I noticed this and agree.  Still doesn't explain very poor passing though. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

I noticed this and agree.  Still doesn't explain very poor passing though. 

I think it does.....if you are playing in pain it will affect all aspects your game.

11 hours ago, TRO said:

I have observed him since even last season. If for whatever reason he doesn't go up for a corner you can usually guarantee he will at least once bend down and stretch out his legs or his groin.

It isn't a new thing and is probably something he forever is managing and weary of.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I have observed him since even last season. If for whatever reason he doesn't go up for a corner you can usually guarantee he will at least once bend down and stretch out his legs or his groin.

It isn't a new thing and is probably something he forever is managing and weary of.

Yes noticed this to , the warm up pre the everton game he tweaked his groin obviously  an on going problem

14 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Tyrone Mings is comfortably our best centre back by quite some distance

Not too sure about that.

Konsa already looks better than him imo. Mings is very prone to mistakes, Konsa isn't.

Everytime Mings get's on the ball i get nervous.

His performances have definitely dipped since the England call up, that said the quality of opposition also increased (prior to Newcastle), but hopefully it is just a blip and he puts in star performance in the next 3 matches - which to get some positive results we will need him to do.

He was poor against Newcastle until probably the last 20 minutes then he started to play like the player we've all grown to love.

No way he should be dropped, but I think it's a real positive sign that people would even consider that and shows how well Engels and now Konsa have done this season - Competition for places is what it is all about.

10 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Not too sure about that.

Konsa already looks better than him imo. Mings is very prone to mistakes, Konsa isn't.

The key difference between these 2 centre-backs in the Key-Passes, Mings contributes alot more to the attacking play. For example, against Newcastle Mings had completed 2 Key-Passes, whereas Konsa had zero. Konsa was superior in the Defensive aspects, but with our system the balance needs to be a combination of the two. 

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1376017/Live/England-Premier-League-2019-2020-Aston-Villa-Newcastle-United 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not too sure about that.

Konsa nearly scored an own goal.

• Thanks 1

Â