Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

His head turned into a 50p coin for that goal, very poor. For me the Mings - Engels partnership isn't looking quite the same, just isn't working as well as it was earlier on in the season. I'm hoping Konsa gets a shot at some point this season and most likely in place of Engels who had another shaky performance.

• Like 2

It was almost like he wasnt expecting Jesus to be able to nip in ahead of him and he was looking to just nod it to Engels.  If he'd try to clear it then I think the danger is gone.  Same thing with Engels a little later where Mings pulled off that worldy clearance.  At the same time playing out from the back is hugely important to us so we have to take the rough with the smooth.  I'd definitely be looking to give Konsa a go soon though, it just seems like the right time to me (possibly not v Liverpool though).

He frustrates me more than most. He acts way too casually too often in games and is often guilty of poor positioning and thus allowing players in behind him. He just needs to keep things simple and he can become a really great centre back. But until he learns to stay fully focused for 90 minutes he’ll always have the propensity to undo other wise decent performances by making ridiculous errors. He received a great deal of praise when he played for England the other day, and I agree the way he conducted himself in light of being racially abused, was something to be truly applauded. But I’m not accepting he played great as England trounced the opposition and he barely had a thing to do. 

I really like the guy but can see why Ake kept him out of the Bournemouth team as he’s far more assured. Tyrone needs to learn, and fast, to keep things simple and not play too lethargically. He tends to trot around nonchalantly when he’s on the ball and releases it too late to our players who, by the time they receive the ball, are being closed down. I find Mings makes glaring errors in most games, not loads, maybe one or two per game but in this league, as we are finding out, they are costly and we need Tyrone to be top of his game to be able to hopefully lead us to safety. 

• Like 1

Mings is a bit of a Hollywood player. Is there for the dramatic last ditch clearance and crossfield pass that gets on MOTD but can be quite sloppy at times. A slightly cooler head and we'll concede less. That's at least twice (today, Arsenal) where him being a bit lazy cost us. Just clear the ball, Tyrone.

Still a very good defender, but the defence is not as solid as our record indicates. We turn off in the second half. If that starts to open in the first half, we are in trouble.

I expect he will tidy it up, but the sooner the better.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He should have won that header but come one he was 30 yards outs. Just because he didn’t defend a flick on no way should it be leading to a goal. I think Engels and Guilbert were more to blame for being so far away from Sterling when it dropped.

post game Smith said it was for all 3 who was at fault in fairness

• Like 1

That's top football for you, one day you're a lauded England hero and the next day it's Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity 

Tyrone Mings, Villa’s Mr Inconsistent

Saturday was a good day for John Stones. He was certainly due one…

On Stones’ first start of the campaign at the Etihad, Gareth Southgate was in attendance to check on the centre-back who as recently as the summer was his first-choice partner for Harry Maguire. The England boss watched Stones tread carefully on the way to a clean sheet, with one first-half block a notable highlight of a steady performance in which Villa frontman Wesley was shackled and prevented from getting a shot on target.

A bonus for Stones was to be found in the display of Tyrone Mings at the opposite end. The Villa centre-back auditioned for Stones’ England place during the recent international break and Mings did enough to earn a call-back when Southgate considers his selection for the upcoming qualifiers next month.

But Southgate, a coach particularly discerning over his centre-backs, will still need convincing of Mings. What he saw on Saturday lunchtime is unlikely to have offered much reassurance.

Mings was at fault for City’s opener, not even half a minute after a half-time break during which the message above all else from Dean Smith to his Villans would have been to keep concentration. The evidence within 20 seconds suggested his words had fallen upon deaf ears.

From Ederson’s long drive upfield – a rare clearance under pressure, not one of the City’s keeper’s 80-yard laser-precision drives – Mings was inexplicably beaten in the air by Gabriel Jesus, who not only won the header but was allowed to guide it into Raheem Sterling’s path. With Mings’ partner Bjorn Engels similarly sleepy, Sterling was able to run in on goal before squeezing his shot through Tom Heaton’s legs.

Centre-backs lose headers – it happens. But when it occurs in those circumstances, questions must be asked.

Mings stands 21 centimetres taller than Jesus and the Villa defender had plenty of time while the ball descended from orbit to assert his authority through his position and physicality. His challenge was too lax and displayed all the characteristics of a player not yet back in the game after a 15-minute breather.

The concern for Mings – and Southgate – is that this is not the first occasion this season when Villa have paid for their centre-back’s mistake. Sterling’s was the fourth goal Villa have conceded that can be traced back to Mings. Against Arsenal, Brighton and Norwich, the 26-year-old has been guilty of a costly lapse in concentration.

Indeed, according to Opta, no player in the Premier League has been guilty of more errors that have led to shots. Since no team has made more errors that have led to shots, it is clearly a wider concern for Smith.

Mings had the crossbar to thank after another mistake late on, when his indecision was pounced upon by Jesus, but the City striker’s lob came back off the crossbar while Mings strained underneath it. It wasn’t Mings’ first visit to his own goal-line. Shortly after City’s opener, he was back there to clear another Jesus effort after Heaton had taken the sting off the shot.

This is the issue with Mings: he always catches the eye. For a centre-back, that is not necessarily a good trait. For every few thundering challenges and brave blocks, there seems to be an error in judgement.

The first part of that equation might not come as a surprise from a defender being schooled by John Terry. But the former Chelsea and England captain has some work to do to iron out the kinks in Mings’ game and mindset if he is to achieve the huge potential he so clearly has.

https://www.football365.com/news/f365s-early-loser-tyrone-mings-villas-mr-inconsistent

Fwiw I really like Mings, but those lapses in concentration and his habit of being a bit too cavalier on the ball is something I've been critical or at least worried about since he came here.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, sne said:

That's top football for you, one day you're a lauded England hero and the next day it's Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity 

https://www.football365.com/news/f365s-early-loser-tyrone-mings-villas-mr-inconsistent

Fwiw I really like Mings, but those lapses in concentration and his habit of being a bit too cavalier on the ball is something I've been critical or at least worried about since he came here.

Poor journalism. No mention of Stones bad pass out of defence, that a better side would have punished, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative of the article.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hornso said:

Poor journalism. No mention of Stones bad pass out of defence, that a better side would have punished, but I guess that doesn't fit the narrative of the article.

They presumably get paid to write an article based on a headline and write around it. Facts can fall through the cracks pretty easily with that approach.

3 hours ago, Hornso said:

Fwiw they covered the Stones is pants angle quite a few times already.

That's kinda the basis for the whole article, that this was a very rare not poor day for Stones.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Have to disagree.

Mings deserve every criticism he gets after that criminal mistake.

Still can't believe he lost that header to Jesus. Unbelievable.

With anything in particular, or you just have to?

Mings can be at fault for losing that header while others can still be to blame for poor covering.

Â