Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Mings' errors is at least partly due to him trying to take responsibility in some cases, where other players may have stayed away. Errors leading to goals is so much down to luck. If the defender makes a mistake and an opposition forward is free on goal, but misses the shot = no error in the stats. If the forward scores = one error in the defender's stats. Even though the mistakes are the same.

I can get more frustrated with Mings when he makes smaller mistakes, like playing a pass over the touchline after misunderstanding a team mate. Would like to see fewer of those.

1 hour ago, QldVilla said:

I think Mings will still be at the club, just don’t think he will be captain.

I don't think we have any standout players for the role, atm Ming's is the best option we have. I would love to see that change but short of £80m I can't see who we could buy that would be better. 

1 hour ago, tinker said:

I don't think we have any standout players for the role, atm Ming's is the best option we have. I would love to see that change but short of £80m I can't see who we could buy that would be better. 

To be honest I never thought he was the best option after glory hunter left.

McGinn and Martinez are options and I wouldn’t rule out Ramsey, he’s a future Villa captain, may just be too early for him. Gerrard became captain at 23 at Plop.

I think we'll see the return of Tyrone Pings next season, now that he won't have to take on Konsa and to a lesser extent Chamber's attacking responsibilities. Will hopefully signal the return of Gerrard Ball 

• Like 1

We should only sell Mings if a desperate Champions League side is coming in with a silly offer, and even then we should think carefully.

I saw someone on the Tarkowski thread suggesting we should accept 30 mil for Mings as a good bit of business. That makes no sense at all to me. Just don't see where that gets you.

He's only just turned 29, and that's still fairly young for a centre back. He's a proven quantity in this league now. By all means bring in some competition for his place... Hause obviously needs to be moved on... but let's wait a season before deciding Mings can be replaced!?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

We should only sell Mings if a desperate Champions League side is coming in with a silly offer, and even then we should think carefully.

I saw someone on the Tarkowski thread suggesting we should accept 30 mil for Mings as a good bit of business. That makes no sense at all to me. Just don't see where that gets you.

He's only just turned 29, and that's still fairly young for a centre back. He's a proven quantity in this league now. By all means bring in some competition for his place... Hause obviously needs to be moved on... but let's wait a season before deciding Mings can be replaced!?

All these signings are messing with people's heads, they're going full FM mode. 17 England caps in the last 3 years, but we'll sell him for barely more than we paid for him when he was an uncapped sick note at Bournemouth? Yeah right.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I think we'll see the return of Tyrone Pings next season, now that he won't have to take on Konsa and to a lesser extent Chamber's attacking responsibilities. Will hopefully signal the return of Gerrard Ball 

With Kamara and Carlos among the top passers in the top 5 leagues you can take it as a given we'll return to Gerrard ball and building from the back. What Carlos is the best in the world at is switch plays, which are completed passes which travel 40 yards of the width of the pitch. He averages 3.8 of these per game. Digne and Cash are going to love this. Kamara is among the best at those too. 

So we'll see us playing from the back, we've two players who are press resistant and will look to beat high press with switch passes and passes that bypass the press.

Mings will focus on defending which he's very good at. He's great at blocks, clearances, interceptions and he doesn't get dribbled past. Mings is also great at carrying the ball forward out of defence. 

• Like 2

Is Mings good enough to take us to the next level though? We finished 14th we lost 19 games last seaosn. Gerrard is already making a statement with the signinhs he has made so far.  Mings has had no real threat to his place since arriving at Villa. If we sign anolther cb his place is definately under threat. 

I think its good to have 2 29 year old CB's, they are better the older they are (to an extent)...James Collins/Michael Dawson have done decent jobs for the hammers over recent seasons and Carlos and Mings partnership will be aggressive, strong and not afraid to mix it up with opposition strikers....looking forward to seeing them in action

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Is Mings good enough to take us to the next level though? We finished 14th we lost 19 games last seaosn. Gerrard is already making a statement with the signinhs he has made so far.  Mings has had no real threat to his place since arriving at Villa. If we sign anolther cb his place is definately under threat. 

We'll there is competition now. Carlos can play with any of Mings, Konsa or Chambers. So whoever is playing best will partner him. Mings and Carlos our the two best CBs at the club imo. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

How tall is Carlos? I know Mings is over 6 ft.  I feel we don't pose enough threat from corners with our big defenders.

He is slightly taller than Konsa

14 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I think its good to have 2 29 year old CB's, they are better the older they are (to an extent)...James Collins/Michael Dawson have done decent jobs for the hammers over recent seasons and Carlos and Mings partnership will be aggressive, strong and not afraid to mix it up with opposition strikers....looking forward to seeing them in action

Criag you mean? Michael has been retired a while now.

Edited by sparrow1988

Â