Lovre Kalinić

Tomaszk

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

From what I recall, we signed him but recalled Steer at same time due to Nyland's injury.

DS put him in v Wigan, wasn't quite Nyland bad but unconvincing and was average in games after. 

Odd thing to me is he was in v West Brom, misjudged that header that looped in from edge of the box and then was apparently subbed at half time due to concussion. Was on the bench next week v Stoke though when you need 7 days off if you have head injury.

Something dosen't add up, perhaps there was a row at half time in that match and we know DS goes cold on players if they don't agree with his ways e.g. Engels. Or DS just simply thought Steer was better and played him for the run in which paid off big time.

We needed an experienced keeper for prem so signing Heaton made sense. Really thought Kalinic should've got a chance after that though instead of Nyland but then we signed Reina....

Seems like an endless failed love triangle with all the keepers we had around that period!

The whole transfer was weird IIRC. Wasn't it something like we'd tried to get him before, then couldn't, then we managed to get him, Smith took basically one or two looks at him and thought 'nah', and then that was that?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

The whole transfer was weird IIRC. Wasn't it something like we'd tried to get him before, then couldn't, then we managed to get him, Smith took basically one or two looks at him and thought 'nah', and then that was that?

i think he came in, had 2-3 poor/average games, got injured, never got back in the side iirc.

edit:

I was wrong.

Came in, played 7 games, of which the last 3 of those was rough, conceding 6 goals in 3 games, came off at half time injured in that 7th game, never got back in the team.

image.png.24743b40a1fc7b043b46331cfefe1b46.png

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It was the relegation season, the tiniest bit of hope dangled in front of Remi Garde that he might be able to reinforce that squad. Then work permit issues scuppered the deal.

I can only assume that Kalinic’s name was written on Paddy Reilly’s notepad and was left in a drawer, which remained unopened for three years, through Xia’s reign, then someone (I guess Pitarch) in January 2019 found it while looking for a stapler or something, and thought “Hmmm, can’t be any worse than Nyland, right?”.

The whole transfer and his time here has just been odd. The fact that he’s still on our books compounds that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It was the relegation season, the tiniest bit of hope dangled in front of Remi Garde that he might be able to reinforce that squad. Then work permit issues scuppered the deal.

I can only assume that Kalinic’s name was written on Paddy Reilly’s notepad and was left in a drawer, which remained unopened for three years, through Xia’s reign, then someone (I guess Pitarch) in January 2019 found it while looking for a stapler or something, and thought “Hmmm, can’t be any worse than Nyland, right?”.

The whole transfer and his time here has just been odd. The fact that he’s still on our books compounds that.

That's exactly it! Thank you for jogging my memory. He was going to ride to Remi Garde's rescue, along with that lad (was his name Seydou Doumbia or something?) who had to chose between us and Newcastle, went to Newcastle instead, and then played about 15 minutes for them.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

That's exactly it! Thank you for jogging my memory. He was going to ride to Remi Garde's rescue, along with that lad (was his name Seydou Doumbia or something?) who had to chose between us and Newcastle, went to Newcastle instead, and then played about 15 minutes for them.

I’d forgotten about Doumbia (or deliberately blanked him from my memory). Yes, you are correct. Dear oh dear, what turned out to be 18th placed Newcastle up against 20th placed Villa, vying for his attention. Seydou must have felt like the belle of the ball. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Dont forget Mathieu Debuchy the right back to solve our problems 

Good times

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

One of the most bizarre signings ever

Yep especially as we were after him before we got relegated. Finally get him years later for him to play a few games and go off with a head injury and never play again.

To be fair our goalie history has been bizarre the last few years until we signed martinez.

8 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i think he came in, had 2-3 poor/average games, got injured, never got back in the side iirc.

edit:

I was wrong.

Came in, played 7 games, of which the last 3 of those was rough, conceding 6 goals in 3 games, came off at half time injured in that 7th game, never got back in the team.

image.png.24743b40a1fc7b043b46331cfefe1b46.png

So as soon as he’s out of the side we go on our 10 game win streak 🤔 

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

Yep especially as we were after him before we got relegated. Finally get him years later for him to play a few games and go off with a head injury and never play again.

To be fair our goalie history has been bizarre the last few years until we signed martinez.

I agree it was a strange signing. He played once didnt look great and that was it.

Johnstone on loan wasnt bad but emis been brilliant.

I didnt think guzman was that bad until the final season before we went down

11 hours ago, useless said:

Surprised he didn't drop it!

Bad Joke GIF - Bad Joke Badjoke - Discover & Share GIFs

Also, was he captain? Seems to be wearing the armband.

Edited by sparrow1988

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Surely got to be our longest serving, non playing , player?

How shite or unlucky must he be?

Wish I was unlucky enough to get a 10 year contract not playing for Aston Villa.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slovenian said:

72902a3c-22bd-414a-9196-5418a6d41b0e.jpg

he is captain at Hajduk Split, he won the league cup, i'd say he is enjoying life :)

the journos are expecting the loan to be renewed

You'd hope/expect they pay all his wages then?

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You'd hope/expect they pay all his wages then?

No chance 😂

They would probably have enough to pay 5 or at most 10% of his wages. I read he was on 30-35k a week when we signed him and had a promotion wage rise in his contract 

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

No chance 😂

They would probably have enough to pay 5 or at most 10% of his wages. I read he was on 30-35k a week when we signed him and had a promotion wage rise in his contract 

Then WTF are we doing?! 🤦🏿

Would rather sell or loan him to a Championship club. Lol

Â