Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Not seen anyone write Smith off yet. Odd concerns maybe.

No one can do a write off this soon, it would be crazy.

just because we comment on what we see in a game is not writing anyone off.....its just commenting on what we have observed.

Most fans see different things anyway.

18 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I will also reserve my judgement on DS.

He has had very little time to work on our players and he is still assessing the squad.

He will certainly need to bring in his own players and also get rid of a few in our squad. 

I think we have players that are good quality but i have a feeling some do not fit the style of our head coach.

Nyland needs more work however we are lacking a proper goalkeeping coach to really work with him.

DS needs a lot of time and support to do his job.

I am going to be very patient with him.

I don't think we have much choice.

10 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Not seen anyone write Smith off yet. Odd concerns maybe.

No one can do a write off this soon, it would be crazy.

Again, have you been on any Facebook Villa Pages?

I've seen people one or 2 on here call him Bruce MK2 after the last match too. lol

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Where have you read that ? 

You know what you're doing!

You're not wrong in what you said. And surely as presumably an adult you know that this is too soon to judge—not that there has been anything shocking in the previous two weeks in order cause anyone to hold off judgement. The only evidence we have so far is the good job he did at Brentford, which is easy to acknowledge as impressive. The rest we'll obviously have to wait and see, as I think you said in another post anyway.

2 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Again, have you been on any Facebook Villa Pages?

I've seen people one or 2 on here call him Bruce MK2 after the last match too. lol

Well those people who have said that are complete lunatics, both Smith and bruce are complete different in how they go about there jobs. Bruce is the one that wouldn't be training his players where Smith will, SMITH has game plans where Bruce didn't.

Honestly no one should even need to explain how the two are complete different or how Smith will be better than bruce by miles.

Some people will just go shout all sorts out as soon as we lose and often it's complete silliness.

The problem with some fans is that they want everything rite now and because we don't get it then it's throw the manager or coach under the bus. There is no patience with some fans and they expect villa to be blazing this league, yet not realising this mess started a while before we exited the premier league and continued to get worse. We have tried throwing money at winning and while it nearly worked I do believe the team we had last season would not of been good enough to make a dent in the top flight, we would of been back down again. 

So let's get this rite shall we, get a plan in place, get a man who can get a plan in place and give as many seasons as is needed to make that change that Aston Villa need. It is sorely needed as well and it won't happen overnight nor in some weeks or months, I don't expect it too although the quicker it happens obviously better.

I do think there are those fans that will call for Smith's head just to start or try to start to unsettle other fans, I pay no attention to them, it's obvious what they are trying to do. Some people should realise what the championship is all about, tough clubs, many who have been stuck here for long time who know how it works and adapt quickly and will run over relegated premier league sides in a heartbeat. These clubs In this league have had no choice but to do things the rite way, a way in which premier league sides can avoid because premier league sides can throw money at it and buy the talent. Soon as premier league sides lose that money they will be in trouble just like our club villa have been and they will be forced to do things the rite way too. So you see a relegated premier league side who has been up there for 15 years or more, where money controls talent and real tactics arnt as much an issue like they are in the championship, if they get relegated the club has troubles on the field facing teams that have had no choice but to adopt real football philosophy.

Championship football is how real football should be, it's less about money than it's top flight, it's more about the game itself  and how it should be really played.

I would honestly for a tester would love to see the teams who have been in the premier league upwards of 15 years be added to the championship for a season. Just to see how many actually would deal with it for one season, i actually think it would be a very small number, think there are only around 9 or so teams that are still in there from the 90s, two of which like west ham and Newcastle have been relegated before so makes about 7 clubs.

Edited by Dave-R

6 hours ago, hippo said:

I hope to god I am wrong - but all I am seeing is a guy who got  Walsall and Brentford mid table finishes. 

I wouldnt have known this except you keep saying the same thing :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

It was always my worry that we didn't have the players to play Dean Smith's brand of football.

The defense in particular has shown that tonight, we need mobile players at the back with pace if were going to push up that high.

I certainly hope there is room to maneuver in January and next Summer we need a complete clear out and a whole new team.

Edited by AshVilla

1 minute ago, Papillon said:

Not a great start Dean... hope you aren’t a fraud like Bruce, RDM, Sherwood, Garde and Lambert. What an awful list that is.

He needs some time right now. It's hard to give yet another manager time because we all know this club deserves better than where we are, but there's no option.

He's got to have 10 games, surely, before conclusions should be drawn.

Maybe it's just me but I can see  some positive changes already. Unfortunately, two years of Bruceball can't be reversed in just a few weeks, and there are clearly some glaring issues with the squad. He needs to be given time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

He is absolutely the right man for us. I've seen more of a coached group of players in 3 games....3 **** games guys just to get perspective here, than i did from that other clown in 2 years. Very encouraging to see us try to play out from the back. Individual error cost us. We played ok. I've felt much more rotten after a villa defeat than i do right now.  A full weeks training now to prepare for Bolton. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Football is better and chances are better, we were a little unfortunate not to score tonight.

However, needs to sort the full back situation out, and limit the use of Whelan and Elmohamady.

It's clear he doesn't trust lansbury, yet. Bjarnasson was playing very well too. Unfortunate.

I didn't expect us to win this game as i stated in the pre match thread.

It is going to take ALOT of work to get this team challenging for promotion.

I have written off promotion. 

These players do not fit DS style.

Only Grealish out of our midfielders has a good first touch, it is going to be very tough to get these players to play one touch, two touch passing football.

Our wingers are not good enough even Bolasie. 

My concern is that we are in the depth of a season and we are transitioning everything.

I hope we can remain patient. 

Just now, Johnnyp said:

He is absolutely the right man for us. I've seen more of a coached group of players in 3 games....3 **** games guys just to get perspective here, than i did from that other clown in 2 years. Very encouraging to see us try to play out from the back. Individual error cost us. We played ok. I've felt much more rotten after a villa defeat than i do right now.  A full weeks training now to prepare for Bolton. 

Bolton is a home game anyway and that's not been the issue. It's our horrendous away form we need to sort out, which barring a couple of periods has been shocking for years. Still, there's definitely been a change of approach under Smith which is good to see.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Maybe it's just me but I can see  some positive changes already. Unfortunately, two years of Bruceball can't be reversed in just a few weeks, and there are clearly some glaring issues with the squad. He needs to be given time.

Not just you mate. Has made his mark already. We are trying to play football. Personnel going forward will change.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

Give him a chance... 

Oh I will! Not being an ass here, just stating the obvious. Here’s for hoping, a new manager always needs time - but you always hope for the extra points in the beginning.

• Like 1

Â