Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The comparison was that they were similar strikers in the sense that they did very little other than score goals. And Hogan has scored goals and I'm  sure he will again. Linekar obviously done it at a higher level, but that doesn't  mean they're not similar in how they play. 

You could count Lineker's assists on one hand. What's laughable is your constant deriding of Hogan. I believe he will come good under Smith because he knows how to utilise his strengths, providing he stays clear of injury.

Your wasting time sheepy - there is a blind spot with Hogan  here. 

but it's a forum so I'll go with it 

• Like 1

On 15/10/2018 at 19:08, ciggiesnbeer said:

Lots of tension there. Clearly the project is doomed from the start :)

On 15/10/2018 at 19:08, ciggiesnbeer said:

Lots of tension there. Clearly the project is doomed from the start :)

Where's the tension....?  I have a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other! DS...will get it right!

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

Your wasting time sheepy - there is a blind spot with Hogan  here. 

but it's a forum so I'll go with it 

There’s no blind spot. He’s just not been good enough. A lot of blame was directed at Bruce because of how we play. So give it a few months and if we can start playing a different way then Hogan should be banging in the goals right? 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

I like that smith openly explained the decision  of bringing Hogan on and acknowledging might have been a error

He said the players didn’t play the balls down the channels where he was making runs. Maybe the same thing used to happen for Bruce ? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The comparison was that they were similar strikers in the sense that they did very little other than score goals. And Hogan has scored goals and I'm  sure he will again. Linekar obviously done it at a higher level, but that doesn't  mean they're not similar in how they play. 

You could count Lineker's assists on one hand. What's laughable is your constant deriding of Hogan. I believe he will come good under Smith because he knows how to utilise his strengths, providing he stays clear of injury.

Lineker was never a great footballer - goal scorer yes - footballer no.

In fact but for injury our very own Gary Shaw would have challenged him every step of the way in the national team as he was by far a much better footballer - back on track now 

The way DS likes to play....fast 1/2 touch play and move gives him a bit of a problem with our current midfielders.  Whelan and Jedinak are clearly too slow to play that way.  Jack will never release the ball unless he has beaten the same player 2 or 3 times.  I would like to see McGinn, O'Hare and Bjarnason given a chance at QPR tomorrow !

2 hours ago, hippo said:

true but there always is. get 5 or 6 players playing well and thats as good as it gets...

at the moment we seem to have 2 or maybe 3 players in form. I am sure that will improve over the coming weeks.

I beleive our squad...even with its shortcomings is amongst the better ones in this division

Its like show me , don't tell me.

When it happens, I will agree.....I will reserve my judgement until Deano has enough time to work with them.

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He said the players didn’t play the balls down the channels where he was making runs. Maybe the same thing used to happen for Bruce ? 

well if they haven't got the ball they can't....That second half was bordering on the previous 2 , where we surrendered the initiative.

12 hours ago, KHV said:

Yes, Chester is not a leader and plays better under direction with someone more commanding next to him.

so, without pussy footing too much, he isn't good enough.

If we are going to get out of this league, we cannot have too many players being chaperoned....they have to stand up and be counted and punch their own weight.

In my view, we need 2 commanding Centre halves c 6'2/3 and in the mid twenties......and a Goal Keeper just as commanding.

Centre backs with Energy and a bit of experience.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

I will also reserve my judgement on DS.

He has had very little time to work on our players and he is still assessing the squad.

He will certainly need to bring in his own players and also get rid of a few in our squad. 

I think we have players that are good quality but i have a feeling some do not fit the style of our head coach.

Nyland needs more work however we are lacking a proper goalkeeping coach to really work with him.

DS needs a lot of time and support to do his job.

I am going to be very patient with him.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, hippo said:

A new GK, get Grealish firing and things should start to look alot better.

What, didn't you hear... Grealish is dogshite and should be sold!? 

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When Bruce said things like that he was pilloried for throwing players under the bus. Now Deano is saying it I note he is being praised for refreshing honesty. 

I guess that is progress. We can now have a discussion about how a game has gone and how the squad is playing without obsessively blaming  the manager for every single thing that happens on the pitch.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, westholmevillan said:

Where's the tension....?  I have a beer in one hand and a cigar in the other! DS...will get it right!

I was joking and referring was referring to the image where everyone was super chill :) I agree with you I am enjoying the DS project. I am happy enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It would have served Bruce better to tell us and Hogan that then, and also take responsibility like DS did. I was thrilled when DS said he may have made a mistake and explained why. A bit of transparency works wonders.

• Like 2

Just now, ciggiesnbeer said:

It would have served Bruce better to tell us and Hogan that then, and also take responsibility like DS did. I was thrilled when DS said he may have made a mistake and explained why. A bit of transparency works wonders.

Bruce often said he made mistakes. It’s not really new. 

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

When Bruce said things like that he was pilloried for throwing players under the bus. Now Deano is saying it I note he is being praised for refreshing honesty. 

I guess that is progress. We can now have a discussion about how a game has gone and how the squad is playing without obsessively blaming  the manager for every single thing that happens on the pitch.

Don't take this the wrong way, as I could be out of line in saying it, but you really stick to your guns regarding Bruce and are headstrong to the point of taking the backlash he received personally. Please excuse me if that's an unfair or inaccurate assessment. I just can't see the parallel between a manager who had seasons to instill whatever he desired and a guy who's barely had a training session. Another thing I don't see is much similarity in the commentary itself. Bruce would simply say the players need to look at themselves, or something of the like. Smith is addressing a specific aspect of the game and why something didn't work out, he doesn't allocate blame to the players or himself, he simply says the passes weren't there.

Bruce mastered one thing in his time at Villa and that was pointing out the clubs shortcomings, whether it was our recent history or the players efforts. Don't recall him putting his hand up and saying, I could have done better today.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, terrytini said:

What on a earth was that Press conference about ??

” Not much time for the Analysts to review the game” 

” in hindsight Kodja maybe would’ve been the better option”

” Bolasie didn’t do enough when he came on and I told him so”

”Callum caught the eye with 2 goals”

Since when were AVFC press conferences a time to get a little genuine insight into what’s going on !

I posted this in the QPR pre-match thread before actually watching it, have done so now and I have to agree...just in case anybody missed it

Edited by MickeyC_UTV
added ‘pre-‘
  • Like 1

Â