Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First few weeks? The guy needs at least 2 windows and a preseason before the knives come out. Bruce had the same courtesy. 

True and I am sure DS will. But Bruce did win a fair quota of his home games - If we are 4th bottom come May I am sure questions will rightly be asked.

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not sure I agree.

I have my problems wit the defence. The keeper is shit. As are Hutton and taylor.

But like I've said elsewhere, we have 3 out of the same back 4 that was one of the best defences in the league last season. And the fourth is Axel Tuanzebe who, despite my previous reservations about him, if he continues to improve looks like e might be a perfectly good CB.

That defence got us to a playoff final, which apparently was a massive underachievement because of the manager.

Was John Terry really that vital in the defence? Is the exact same defence just with Axel instead of Terry that much worse?

I'm not so sure.

No argument on the keeper though. We need a proper one.

Yes, Chester is not a leader and plays better under direction with someone more commanding next to him.

One thing that surprised me in the build up to the Norwich game on Sky was this graphic....

20181023-193017.jpg

It shows just how much work Dean has got to do here.... especially the last two stats.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

That comparison is laughable.

The shit that Lineker did on the pitch is more dangerous up front than Scott Hogan.

The comparison was that they were similar strikers in the sense that they did very little other than score goals. And Hogan has scored goals and I'm  sure he will again. Linekar obviously done it at a higher level, but that doesn't  mean they're not similar in how they play. 

You could count Lineker's assists on one hand. What's laughable is your constant deriding of Hogan. I believe he will come good under Smith because he knows how to utilise his strengths, providing he stays clear of injury.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

First few weeks? The guy needs at least 2 windows and a preseason before the knives come out. Bruce had the same courtesy. 

I know. Just meant that realistically they have very little time as a result of the schedule to do anything at all over the first 2/3 weeks so results in this period are unlikely to be much different than under Bruce.

If we had a period of 2 weeks with no midweek games when he joined it would have been much easier for him to get some of his ideas across to the players in training rather than the match/day off/light training/match schedule we have at the moment

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The comparison was that they were similar strikers in the sense that they did very little other than score goals. And Hogan has scored goals and I'm  sure he will again. Linekar obviously done it at a higher level, but that doesn't  mean they're not similar in how they play. 

You could count Lineker's assists on one hand. What's laughable is your constant deriding of Hogan. I believe he will come good under Smith because he knows how to utilise his strengths, providing he stays clear of injury.

Dunno mate. He has been generally poor for a while now. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

Yeah see the trouble still with that comparison is the scoring goals part.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

The "Average age of starting X1", is the reason for Bruce's demise.

He openly admitted last season that he saw his job as wrapping up the players in cotton wool between matches to avoid injuries and aid recovery.

This was at a time when other teams were embracing the idea of younger fitter squads who could play a high pressing game for most of their matches.

The gulf in fitness between the Villa squad and most of the teams we play ranges between obvious to shocking depending on who the opposition is.

This is the first big challenge for Smith and Co. Fitness does not happen overnight. Abrahams, McGinn and Tuanzebe are visibly fitter than the rest of our players. Hourihane and Bjarnason seem naturally fitter than most of the rest, so we need to get eight more outfield players up to speed as quickly as possible (five first choice, plus three subs).

Do we even have a fitness coach since Mr Muscles was sacked? Dean Smith will already know that the likes of Hutton, Whelan and Jedinak are on the downslope of an age related physical decline, but what about Chester, Adomah, Kodjia, Hogan, Taylor, Elmo and Grealish? How long will it take to get them as fit and lean as whippets?

Smith has a huge task ahead of him because he not only has to coach a totally new team ethic and mentality, he has to do so with a pedestrian bunch of players.

If you look at a squad list of our players, we have some enviable names at this level .... If only they were fit!

I would expect that Smith will look to bring in at least three new players at the beginning of January. I would also expect that they'll be younger physical specimens, who will be able to hit the ground running. That leaves us having to negotiate another ten weeks of football with a squad that cannot yet play Deano type football because of their conditioning. 

We're going to have to be patient.

I have to disagree here - I think our fitness levels are comparable to most in this division - you may have anecdotal and your own opinion to suggest otherwise - but there is no hard evidence that these players are to any great degree unfit - we have scored plenty of late goals - and finished strongly against Norwich the other night.

I really don't think fitness is much of an issue - its something every new manager who comes in says  and TBF there no quotes from DS about poor fitness .

The challenge for smith is to mould these players as a unit - our forward play still looks of the cuff and the defence is hampered by the lack of a decent keeper. IMO though barring the keeper there is enough there to make a decent fist of it in the championship, where many of the squads are assembled on pennies

5 hours ago, KHV said:

This Villa team wont achieve anything. The goalkeeper and 3 of the back 4 need replacing. Also the midfield is really poor and unbalanced, apart from McGinn there is nothing really to shout about in the middle of the park.

I think in the fullness of time, changes in personnel will Dovetail with your view.

I think DS has already mooted the point.....He says they are not the same players as he has had in the past.....that is not saying they are no good, just different, but i guess that could be diplomatic.

It will take him time......but we all knew that.

for my part, writing on here, i would prefer to comment on what I see from game to game and refrain from predicting what will be.

Dean Smith has already been asked how long will it take to turn things around and refreshingly said...."I don't know" how can anyone know the answer to that?

i don't think there is any point covering ourselves every time we comment on a game, by saying it takes time, because we all know that.....but it shouldn't stop us from reporting on what we see.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Perceived talent being the operative word. I think this notion that Villa have one of the most talented squads in the championship is an absolute myth. We have players with big reputations maybe but as footballers the majority are winging it. If the sporting director/head coach model is going to work we must be very very patient. This squad is nowhere need what Smith needs/wants.

Sadly, i agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dunno mate. He has been generally poor for a while now. 

He's also had terrible luck with injuries. He was scoring for fun at Brentford in the league we're still playing in, so IMO, there's still hope he will come good and if I had to choose the one manager to get him firing it would be our current incumbent.

19 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Perceived talent being the operative word. I think this notion that Villa have one of the most talented squads in the championship is an absolute myth. We have players with big reputations maybe but as footballers the majority are winging it. If the sporting director/head coach model is going to work we must be very very patient. This squad is nowhere need what Smith needs/wants.

100% this. We are massively overrated by our own fans in my opinion. Most of our players are championship quality players or worse. Which is why we are stuck in the championship. 

Terry and Snodgrass were premier league quality. We miss them both big time.

• Like 1

We have Grealish and Tammy - Grealish ripped up this division last season - Tammy has in the past - if you beleive what you read spurs wanted to pay big money for Abraham.

Chester may not quite be premiership quality - but he is not far off it - and is amongst the better cb's in this division

Mcginn is clearly cutting it 

Hutton/Taylor - I believe are reasonable at this level 

Kjodia - blows hot and cold - but I believe is a decent striker at this level 

Bjarnson, Horihane, Lansbury  - ok fair enough none of them fantastic - but should be able to cut it alongside Grealish and Mcginn

Adomah, El Gahzi, bollasie, - none have yet sparkled this season  - but all have previous at this or higher levels

I really think the issue is moulding a team out of that lot - DS as been brought in as head coach, so most of his time will be spent fine tuning that lot into a unit - I am not saying we should/will rocket up the table - but if you compare the resources of some clubs in this division its favourable ...plus DS has been told he can add to the squad in the Jan window. IMO he has the tools to do the job.

A new GK, get Grealish firing and things should start to look alot better.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hippo said:

We have Grealish and Tammy - Grealish ripped up this division last season - Tammy has in the past - if you beleive what you read spurs wanted to pay big money for Abraham.

Chester may not quite be premiership quality - but he is not far off it - and is amongst the better cb's in this division

Mcginn is clearly cutting it 

Hutton/Taylor - I believe are reasonable at this level 

Kjodia - blows hot and cold - but I believe is a decent striker at this level 

Bjarnson, Horihane, Lansbury  - ok fair enough none of them fantastic - but should be able to cut it alongside Grealish and Mcginn

Adomah, El Gahzi, bollasie, - none have yet sparkled this season  - but all have previous at this or higher levels

I really think the issue is moulding a team out of that lot - DS as been brought in as head coach, so most of his time will be spent fine tuning that lot into a unit - I am not saying we should/will rocket up the table - but if you compare the resources of some clubs in this division its favourable ...plus DS has been told he can add to the squad in the Jan window. IMO he has the tools to do the job.

A new GK, get Grealish firing and things should start to look alot better.

There are still a lot of ifs buts and maybe's in there.
for me, presently....... Tammy and McGinn are the only ones I could hang my hat on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

There are still a lot of ifs buts and maybe's in there.
for me, presently....... Tammy and McGinn are the only ones I could hang my hat on.

true but there always is. get 5 or 6 players playing well and thats as good as it gets...

at the moment we seem to have 2 or maybe 3 players in form. I am sure that will improve over the coming weeks.

I beleive our squad...even with its shortcomings is amongst the better ones in this division

Â