Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Its still Steve Bruces team in my opinion.

and if anyone was unsure of him leaving, now you have it.

but i still think many players will go.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

It’ll take two full transfer windows to sort this rag tag lot out. 

I agree the squad is one of the oldest in the league and is set up to play a certain type of football. Smith seems to favour a different style which aging players don't really suit.

It's on the flanks it's failing. We simply must make changes.

Taylor should never play again, Hutton has been crap this season but he's not Taylor so he'll have to do at LB until January.

At RB either play Elmo or Bree. Hutton is useless at RB.

Elmo should not be an option at RW since can't beat his man or cross the ball. We have Bolasie there, if he's not 100% fit then play him for as long as he has in him.

Kodija is not a LW, can't cross and too easy to read and with El Ghazi looking off the pace it is an issue but I'd still try him for a game or 3 and see if he can grow into it.

As for today replacing the injured Thor with Whelan was probably a missed opportunity because we didn't need a protector the way QPR were playing, Hourihane would have been a better choice.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Papillon said:

Not a great start Dean... hope you aren’t a fraud like Bruce, RDM, Sherwood, Garde and Lambert. What an awful list that is.

Results-wise, agreed.  We should've got something from tonight, though.

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Bolton is a home game anyway and that's not been the issue. It's our horrendous away form we need to sort out, which barring a couple of periods has been shocking for years. Still, there's definitely been a change of approach under Smith which is good to see.

But we haven't dominated the ball like that away from home in years id say. It's encouraging. Of course it's in it's infancy. Massive work needed going forward.

• Like 2

So we have change the manager - and now we have to change all the players - I thought this top notch coach and master tactician would be able to deliver more with what he has . If he can't keep this squad top half thats a concern for me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

But we haven't dominated the ball like that away from home in years id say. It's encouraging. Of course it's in it's infancy. Massive work needed going forward.

Exactly. It's clear we're not going into away games now with the aim of shutting up shop and maybe nicking a goal.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

As for today replacing the injured Thor with Whelan was probably a missed opportunity because we didn't need a protector the way QPR were playing, Hourihane would have been a better choice.

I think that position is to enable us to play out short from the back rather than be a protector.  Obviously, the pressing/defensive side is important too, but we seem intent on passing from the back and having a central midfielder sitting deep helps out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hippo said:

So we have change the manager - and now we have to change all the players - I thought this top notch coach and master tactician would be able to deliver more with what he has . If he can't keep this squad top half thats a concern for me. 

YAWN.

**** hell, our fans :crylaugh: 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sne said:

It's on the flanks it's failing. We simply must make changes.

Taylor should never play again, Hutton has been crap this season but he's not Taylor so he'll have to do at LB until January.

At RB either play Elmo or Bree. Hutton is useless at RB.

Elmo should not be an option at RW since can't beat his man or cross the ball. We have Bolasie there, if he's not 100% fit then play him for as long as he has in him.

Kodija is not a LW, can't cross and too easy to read and with El Ghazi looking off the pace it is an issue but I'd still try him for a game or 3 and see if he can grow into it.

C'mon mate . You can't say hutton is crap at RB and then the solution you offer is to play Bree who to be honest has look timid and overawed in a villa shirt thus far. Been young doesn't mean he's the answer. 

Just now, bobzy said:

I think that position is to enable us to play out short from the back rather than be a protector.  Obviously, the pressing/defensive side is important too, but we seem intent on passing from the back and having a central midfielder sitting deep helps out.

Could be, either way Whelan had a mare and I think Hourihane would have offered more.

+ he has goals in him 

Just now, bobzy said:

YAWN.

Really its fair point ? - I am only asking for top half in the championship - if he is the ace coach and tactician is that beyond him with the current squad ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

YAWN.

I know. Sense of entitlement.  1982. Zzz zzz. Only now we are doing things the right way. It doesn't happen it in a week. Norwich fans wanted rid of farke a while ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Johnnyp said:

C'mon mate . You can't say hutton is crap at RB and then the solution you offer is to play Bree who to be honest has look timid and overawed in a villa shirt thus far. Been young doesn't mean he's the answer. 

Not claiming it's a good solution but with me suggesting Hutton playing LB he can't really play RB at the same time now can he?

I know his positioning is crap but he usually at least stays on the side of the pitch he is supposed to.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Need to change the whole mentality in the club. Once we go a goal down it's like the players stop playing.

We were all over them, once they score the game becomes stale.

I thinks its more likley the opposition hold back a bit once they have there noses in front.  Didn't look like scoring tonight.

Just now, villalad21 said:

Need to change the whole mentality in the club. Once we go a goal down it's like the players stop playing.

We were all over them, once they score the game becomes stale.

This is crazy - we were all over them second half and Abraham absolutely should've scored. 

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Could be, either way Whelan had a mare and I think Hourihane would have offered more.

+ he has goals in him 

I don't think Whelan had a mare to be honest - he's just old and slow so doesn't bounce around as much.

Hourihane offers nothing unless taking set pieces.  Rock and hard place.

• Like 2

Â