Dean Smith

Demitri_C

14 minutes ago, TRO said:

Have you seen our depressing stats, forget the last 3 thats just highlighted it more and deeper.....we have had shortfalls of sorts for some time.

its like winning the lottery......and then pissing it all up the wall.

This league had a strong leaning towards physicality and athleticism as well as talent.we have shown to be short on both.

Dean has not shown an appreciation for it and I fear it will be his undoing.....maybe he is just learning the reality.

Have you forgotten the last 18 months ? We had loan players that we couldn't sign . We had to build a new team from that position, easy? No  ,very hard especially when you haven't got full control over who you are signing......... , which bit of this do you disagree with ? 

Yea we have problems that anyone with any knowledge of football can see but it's where we  are and no single manager could have changed that position, one may come.in and give us a boost but they wouldn't have travelled the journey Dean has , just stuck the icing on and tbh , with the players we have and their lack of experience in English football it would be short lived . 

Plus Smith goes then Grealish would realise how shallow loyalty really is in football ......

• Like 1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/shambles-pundit-blasts-aston-villa-17496273

'Shambles' - Pundit blasts Aston Villa and Dean Smith in brutal rant

Former Arsenal winger Perry Groves has launched an astonishing rant claiming Aston Villa players aren't putting 100% in and Dean Smith is to blame.

Groves was speaking on talkSPORT after seeing the defeats to Southampton and Watford, two results which have plunged the club deep into relegation trouble.

Smith has claimed that he is not thinking about his long term future, but Groves has hinted that the man in the dugout should take some responsibility for some tactical mistakes.

Villa have lost five of their last seven, with many now questioning both the players on the pitch and the decisions being made off it.

But Groves pulled no punches in his assessment of Villa's troubles: “Smith has a lot of currency with fans, quite rightly, because he went there in the Championship – he’s a Villa fan. But they were below mid-table when he went there, got them into the Premier League which was fantastic.

“I’ve seen them twice in the last week, I saw them at home to Southampton, when Southampton were struggling a bit – they were awful at home. They were playing a 4-3-3, the three in midfield were completely open. Southampton rinsed them in the wide areas, every time they went forward it looked like they were going to score. The midfield players don’t want to track back – it doesn’t mean if it’s Douglas Luiz or Conor Hourihane or Nakamba that plays in there.

“They don’t have a thought about defending and I was looking at that game thinking: ‘Dean Smith has to change this because they were getting overrun and he changed it in the end and went 4-2-4 when they were chasing the game.

“He should have changed it in about 20 minutes and he didn’t. I was looking at the players there thinking: ‘You’re not putting 100% in,’ and that's at home."

He added: “I see them going away from home at the weekend against Watford and Watford completely outran them, out battled them.

“For some reason he played Jack Grealish in the middle of a three at home against Norwich and he put him on the left of the three. But on Saturday, Jack Grealish was virtually playing on the left of a four and Lansbry was playing central. So he’s playing him out of position, which I don't get.

“Then, again they were getting overrun in midfield, Capoue was completely dominating the game. Sarr on the right hand side for Watford, Jack Grealish was coming back trying to stop him. Jota who was playing on the right side of the four, I was sweating more than him in the press box."

Villa face Burnley on new Year's Day, with many pointing to the example of Dyche at Turf Moor as a reason for stability, but Groves dismissed those claims out of hand.

“Villa at the moment are a complete shambles. Villa fans, I know they equate the situation with Burnley and Sean Dyche because he got them up, they went down and he got them back up again.

“I personally think it’s a totally different situation, because they spent £130m in the summer and I’m looking at Villa, there’s no direction. Dean Smith isn’t making the right team selections – he’s not getting the tactics right and the two times I’ve seen them, they’ve been completely outworked and he’s got it wrong tactically.”

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, tinker said:

Have you forgotten the last 18 months ? We had loan players that we couldn't sign . We had to build a new team from that position, easy? No  ,very hard especially when you haven't got full control over who you are signing......... , which bit of this do you disagree with ? 

Yea we have problems that anyone with any knowledge of football can see but it's where we  are and no single manager could have changed that position, one may come.in and give us a boost but they wouldn't have travelled the journey Dean has , just stuck the icing on and tbh , with the players we have and their lack of experience in English football it would be short lived . 

Plus Smith goes then Grealish would realise how shallow loyalty really is in football ......

You don't know what Jack is thinking, nor do I.....he will eventually get fed up of carrying this lot and losing.

The idea of developing a football team is steady progress, the last 18 months work won't save us.....only the work thats clear to many fans is what will save us.

Dean has an obvious appetite for attacking football something we have all enjoyed over that period you mention......what is also clear is his team have no appetite or ability to stop the opposition.

it is clear and obvious for whatever reason, that he is struggling to get us to defend as a TEAM.....when required to do so.we have at times just out scored the opposition and now that forte has dried up.....for me all roads lead back to an inability, to dig in and fight for the initiative.....I hope he can bring players in to help with that.

I think we have too many sunshine players only any good when the going is good.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

Talk sport 🤣🤣🤣

Is there anything that he said not true? Regardless of the source he is bang on the money. 

Only a camel with its head stuck up its arse would disagree. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, jim said:

Is there anything that he said not true? Regardless of the source he is bang on the money. 

Just had a text from Egypt.

• Haha 1

I think people need to realise we had Tammy, Jack, McGinn & Mings in the championship that’s a premiership spine it’s why we won 10 on the bounce. It’s also worth noting that we should have been smashing teams like Rotherham the resources were massively different 

31 minutes ago, jim said:

It's his job to disagree.

Don't agree we are a shambles

Don't agree that the midfield arent tracking back on purpose. The midfield being caught forward with the full backs ahead of them when we lose the ball is the issue.

Its easy to spout soundbites and miss the real problem, butthen perhaps I'm a camel with its head up its arse. ( a beautiful image)

12 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

It's his job to disagree.

Don't agree we are a shambles

Don't agree that the midfield arent tracking back on purpose. The midfield being caught forward with the full backs ahead of them when we lose the ball is the issue.

Its easy to spout soundbites and miss the real problem, butthen perhaps I'm a camel with its head up its arse. ( a beautiful image)

You said it😀.

but they shouldn't be losing the ball in the first place, with the regularity, they do....and why do full backs have to be that far forward, when we have wingers.

answer is simple, half of them don't do their jobs......on purpose or not.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

You said it😀.

but they shouldn't be losing the ball in the first place, with the regularity, they do....and why do full backs have to be that far forward, when we have wingers.

answer is simple, half of them don't do their jobs......on purpose or not.

Agree totally. It's the problem when your wingers are useless and the full backs end up standing beside them. 

I genuinely believe a lot of our problems come from the lack of threat and retention of the ball up front.  I don't think teams work back against us because they get the ball back straight away. 

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Agree totally. It's the problem when your wingers are useless and the full backs end up standing beside them. 

I genuinely believe a lot of our problems come from the lack of threat and retention of the ball up front.  I don't think teams work back against us because they get the ball back straight away. 

I agree.

trouble is if we listed all the issues, we would be totally depressed.

I have seen scenario's like this before and i don't bear to think of the outcome.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

So perry Groves has noticed too.

i think it matters not, who wrote that.....he's right.

Yes he is, he may be a talksport pundit and a Gooner, but he has played the game at the highest level. Pretty sure most if not everyone on here has not.

To dismiss his opinion because of the radio station he is employed is silly....... and arrogant. 

We are in no position to be arrogant or dismissive!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I sense some posters are actually enjoying the current slide. In that, I told you so way. 

Shameful. 

I doubt that. Probably more in the sense that the hurt of the slide varies in different degrees.

Â