Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We came up as playoff winners. We were technically the weakest team in the league at start of pre-season. We bought 2 quality players and needed to try a lot of gambles

Don't get the surprise from some

Fair point, there's no surprise. But with our current squad could we be doing better? It's the persistence with Wesley that's baffling. And not changing things in crucial moments of games.

It's far from a perfect squad but it's still not at its potential IMO.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Fair point, there's no surprise. But with our current squad could we be doing better? It's the persistence with Wesley that's baffling. And not changing things in crucial moments of games.

It's far from a perfect squad but it's still not at its potential IMO.

Think striker has been main issue. Until recently we had some tight games and better striker coukd have helped us not Kodjia or Maupay. We be in same mess. 

Wide players aren't much better, El Ghazi is best of the 3 but they need be helping Wesley more 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Think striker has been main issue. Until recently we had some tight games and better striker coukd have helped us not Kodjia or Maupay. We be in same mess. 

Wide players aren't much better, El Ghazi is best of the 3 but they need be helping Wesley more 

The wide players are incredibly frustrating.

It was the players fault, it was the refs fault, it was the seasonal fixture list fault, but he didn't mention himself at all today. If the players aren't playing the way he wishes, or at a tempo that he demands then there is something wrong. We have a few key players missing, and I will give him that, but neither McGinn or Mings were at their best before they were injured.

He has to find the problem and find a solution very quickly, or we are going down. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

Is it just me or do they not seem a very together bunch either. Cliques within a setup. Aside from the fact as a collective we are just pretty rubbish right now.

You see the manager on the sideline moaning and blaming the officials or whatever and then it's easy for the players to do the same, it's bad leadership and it's toxic. I see our players looking for easy fouls and whining way too often rather than just getting up and getting stuck in straight away, things will go in our favour more than they are atm with a better attitude. This is the most worrying thing about us for me atm and its the reason I've run out of patience with Smith.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Graham t said:

We are half way through the season and Smith had no idea what his best side is. Players who are the in and out of the team will ,not unreasonably, think that Smith doesn't know what he is doing....

He is working on that.Wesley starts every game,so DS has our attack sorted.He is working on the midfield and defence.

8 hours ago, hippo said:

IMO long term strategys don't exist in football - (and if they do its always at a struggling club!!!!!!) 

Who is our best signing this summer ? - Heaton ? - is he long term ? - no - a few more like him in defence, midfield attack - we could stay up - it wouldn't be a long term strategy - but lets concentrate on winning a few of the next 10 games - we can worry about 2024 in due course.

Picking Heaton out as the best signing after 5 months doesn't really prove anything, since we all knew he was the one who would hit the ground running.

Long-term strategies absolutely do exist in football, and you can see them all over the place. Liverpool, Leicester, Spurs, Man City, Brighton, etc. have all bought and sold with a long-term view over the last few years, and improved season-on-season.

But I think what you are saying (which is correct), is that you do need to get the short term right, in order to buy time for the long-term strategy. It's not an either/or - we have to get both right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Why are people worried about Smith being “trusted with transfer fund” or the players he’s being in or his transfer record. 

it’s been made abundantly clear that Smith is not in charge of transfers. 

whether he is here or not our transfer business, I expect, will be largely the same

They get told this every week, I don't understand why people are still trying to land this blow on Smith.

The same "lad" is also tearing into Smith over Brentford fans warning us that his teams can't defend. And then @Brentfordnylons is literally here in the same thread saying Brentford have had long-standing defensive issues that pre-dated Smith, and were only solved by signing new centre backs!

I have some real concerns about Smith (he's inflexible, he sets us up strangely on set pieces, etc), but some people are just making up facts to fit their agenda.

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

Not just to jump on his back, but I don’t get why he’s lamenting VAR today. Thought the ref got basically everything right. 

And we were still playing against 10 men for 30 mins or so.

The worrying thing for me is how easy teams find it to counter attack us after we clumsily pass it around on the edge of their box, and inevitably give it away.

Just rewatched his post match interview and right at the beginning he says “ First time I’ve really had to read the riot act at half time” Jesus wept Dean, no wonder we are in the shit if other performances have been acceptable enough not to warrant a bollocking.

Or is it that he is just too soft, the players know this and don’t give a shit?

Edited by jim
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Where do we start after reading through 4 pages.

Well the truth of it is, Smith has brought Championship football to the Premier League, without a decent striker (we had Tammy ya know). It shows now he has not adjusted to the League at all, playing the same tactics time after time, or reverting to some sort of defensive structure, which didn't work in the fizzy pop League never mind the Prem.

He has certainly run out of ideas (have you heard the post match interview), an I hope the Board are looking to replace him as we speak, I guess he will have the Burnley game, but if we don't show any commitment there there, I think the writings on the wall

As for those who are happy to go back to the Championship with him, are you mad!! This is surely based on sentiment, cause it won't do our club any good at all financially. It's okay a few of you agreeing with that Brentford fan, but no disrespect to him, Brentford haven't the ambition of AVFC who are now owned by Billionaires, sounded a bit small time to be fair.

We are building nothing here with Smith, we have regressed, 3-0 today against a 10 man Watford, (Wolves showed us how it's done against 10 champions last night), is unforgivable, an to blame the players commitment after was mind boggling, since he manages them. Even had a little dig at Grealish, for the first goal, which wasn't a great comment to make in public.

The players can't be feeling the love at the moment with his post match interview and I very much doubt from this, he is not going to turn it around, just like the when Lambert started to blame the players. There's certainly something going on behind close doors, an I think now it's gone a little to far for him to carry on.

Having billionaires running your club might build up your expectations but still doesn’t guarantee success look at Fulham owned by one of the wealthiest men in the world.

• Like 1

its a sign when the manager starts blaming the refs etc..

not once have villa looked solid & organised this season , against 10 or 11 men

their has been more wrongs than rights under smith in the prem, in every way , the wes thing is just the tip of the iceberg.

every other club sees their failings & acts, we simple just roll our thumbs around each other.its not good enough 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spoony said:

Not just to jump on his back, but I don’t get why he’s lamenting VAR today. Thought the ref got basically everything right. 

I thought VAR had little to do with us being poor, but I still don't understand why it wasn't a foul on Grealish. The man who did foul him was the man ending up with the assist. That's clear as day to me. 

I also think it was a stonewall pen for Wes, but that's just a personal opinion. 

How is everybody feeling today then?

I'm back on the precipice of not being "Dean Out", but not sure if I would particularly be against him going.

The having a "fan" for manager is a blessing and a curse ffs.

The high will be extreme highs but the lows will end in terrible heart break all round imo.

I really like him and want him to succeed but wtf is going on?

Emergency meetings and actions need to take place. The board need to dig seriously deep to back him and rectify whatever is going on with these players and tactics.

Several times in the past he has commented that he isn't telling them to play a certain way.

When I watch his interviews now I feel sorry for him and don't like the personal insults and abuse he has started to get.

Whether we think he should be sacked or not, it's unwarranted and undeserved.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â