Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Smith is a terrible ditherer! Rabbit in the headlights and it's a shame someone on the coaching team didnt give him a slap to snap him out of it! Should have been all out attack, immediate instructions to the captain or players to re organise themselves. Instead we actually got worse 🤦‍♂️ I'm worried because he is repeating past mistakes. 

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Listening to WM commentary they said as soon as they had a man sent off "he needs to bring on Kodjia right now and go two up top" 

We were a goal behind against 10 men, it was the obvious thing to do. They were very suprised he didn't do it straight away (they had been expecting it around that time ANYWAY even before the sending off) . 

Then they scored a second and both repeated that he just HAD to go two up top. 

Once again he didn't and only did once we were 3 down, dead and buried and players given up.

It just makes zero sense why he wouldn't do it.  We've had the same before when narrowly losing but by failing to change we've gone on to lose.  Its inexcusable in my opinion. 

That was what was unforgivable about today for me.

• Like 1

I don't think Smith is the problem, the problem is we don't have good enough players. Looks like we only have four really good Premier League players, Heaton, Mings, McGinn and Grealish. Two of them are out injured. Then we have Luiz, Targett and Konsa whom I think all have great potential and can become really good Premier League players, but are too raw at the moment to be relied upon. Then there is El Ghazi who is a bit of an enigma and can be good enough. Nakamba I dont know yet. The rest dont seem to be PL players, some of them like Hourihane can contribute at times if there are good enough players around him. But on the whole we lack quality and experience. The injuries to Mings and McGinn have left us very vulnerable. Sadly, having splashed so much cash in the summer I doubt there is much to spend in January. 

The way we played against Man U away and Newcastle at home seems very far away at the moment.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Listening to WM commentary they said as soon as they had a man sent off "he needs to bring on Kodjia right now and go two up top" 

We were a goal behind against 10 men, it was the obvious thing to do. They were very suprised he didn't do it straight away (they had been expecting it around that time ANYWAY even before the sending off) . 

Then they scored a second and both repeated that he just HAD to go two up top. 

Once again he didn't and only did once we were 3 down, dead and buried and players given up.

It just makes zero sense why he wouldn't do it.  We've had the same before when narrowly losing but by failing to change we've gone on to lose.  Its inexcusable in my opinion. 

Totally agree with this. In the ground was the same...so plainly obvious.

His crappy tactics have cost us so many points this season. I love him for getting us out of championship but he’s the worst manager in the league and needs to go

Why are people worried about Smith being “trusted with transfer fund” or the players he’s being in or his transfer record. 

it’s been made abundantly clear that Smith is not in charge of transfers. 

whether he is here or not our transfer business, I expect, will be largely the same

• Thanks 1

I find it a little unsettling how quickly the opinion of him has shifted on here after a run of bad form. He's barely been here a year and has got us promoted and we clearly have limitations within our squad right now. Sometimes a bit of perspective is needed and I think that time is now.

When you factor in losing our main CB partnership in Mings and Engles, and obviously Super John McGinn, it was always going to be a little difficult.

We brought in a lot of players over the summer and I'd guess the average price of each signing was what, £10m? That's nothing for players in the premier League these days and it's no wonder we've bought a few duds.

I'd back him in Jan. Would be disappointed in the club if we sacked him.

Edited by PieFacE
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

he changes the midfield  most games hasn't got a clue - other than pass the ball to Jack and see what happens 

That is on the players that are just afraid of responsibility. Its like a team playing with a targetman like Benteke or Crouch instead of knocking it about they would lazily try hoof it to him when not their game

10 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I find it a little unsettling how quickly the opinion of him has shifted on here after a run of bad form. He's barely been here a year and has got us promoted and we clearly have limitations within our squad right now. Sometimes a bit of perspective is needed and I think that time is now.

When you factor in losing our main CB partnership in Mings and Engles, and obviously Super John McGinn, it was always going to be a little difficult.

We brought in a lot of players over the summer and I'd guess the average price of each signing was what, £10m? That's nothing for players in the premier League these days and it's no wonder we've bought a few duds.

I'd back him in Jan. Would be disappointed in the club if we sacked him.

it is if you  get what we got.

run with it then.....and see what happens.

I don't know the answer, but if the decision is for him to go.....it needs to happen while we still have a chance to get out of it.

1 hour ago, birdman said:

Smith is a terrible ditherer! Rabbit in the headlights and it's a shame someone on the coaching team didnt give him a slap to snap him out of it! Should have been all out attack, immediate instructions to the captain or players to re organise themselves. Instead we actually got worse 🤦‍♂️ I'm worried because he is repeating past mistakes. 

its not a great trait to have as a football manager.....I think his team play like it too at the moment.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

its not a great trait to have as a football manager.....I think his team play like it too at the moment.

Is it just me or do they not seem a very together bunch either. Cliques within a setup. Aside from the fact as a collective we are just pretty rubbish right now.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Is it just me or do they not seem a very together bunch either. Cliques within a setup. Aside from the fact as a collective we are just pretty rubbish right now.

I think we have been like that for some time.....we just have moments in a game where we score and sometimes win and then the real play/craft gets masked over.

19 minutes ago, Zatman said:

That is on the players that are just afraid of responsibility. Its like a team playing with a targetman like Benteke or Crouch instead of knocking it about they would lazily try hoof it to him when not their game

Actually, in that case that would be on the manager. The players shouldn't be lazily hoofing it to a targetman if they aren't coached to do so by the manager. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blasterpocket68 said:

You need to a least not loose to the teams around you , the 3 points against Norwich were fortunate they were the better team

Divide the 3 points 3 ways and it's a point a game 

Three points from the last three is an awful return, we needed at least seven, because we know from past experience that it's going to be so much harder to get points when we face better teams. Also if we were only going to get three points from the last three games we would have been better off drawing all three games, we'd still be on the same amount of points now, but both Southampton and Watford would be on two points less and our goal difference would be better, but as it is were comfortably beat in two of them and were very lucky not to lose in the other.

What me will say though is that our points total for the season isn't actually that bad for a team who's main objective is to stay up, of course you'd always like to do be doing much better, but most seasons it would at least be enough to keep us out of the bottom three. I think it's just a question on whether the owners think Smith can stop this run of bad form we've been on over the last ten games or so, because if we carry on in that regard then we will finish comfortably bottom of the table.

14 minutes ago, tinker said:

Divide the 3 points 3 ways and it's a point a game 

Yeah, but our relegation rivals got 6 points in return. Its not really the same as if it were just 3 draws, because then we would only have gifted them 3 points, not that getting 3 draws was all that acceptable either considering they were pretty much the 3 easiest teams to beat in the league.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

It's not about how many points we picked up anyway. It's about how we look by far the worst team in the league at the moment.

Burnley is huge. We need a performance to get the fans back on side.

We came up as playoff winners. We were technically the weakest team in the league at start of pre-season. We bought 2 quality players and needed to try a lot of gambles

Don't get the surprise from some

• Like 1

Â