Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

He signed a new contract 3 weeks ago, he's not getting sacked.

That team today lacked any real leaders, we missed Mings for sure. Hause is starting and he's a 3m squad player, Id be worried if he started for us in the Championship let alone the Premier League.

Personally I think Trez/El Ghazi are very average at this level, it's caused most our play to be through Grealish/CM and anyone can defend narrow against us. This is making Wesley look even worse, he's not involved and we don't stretch the defence to create space.

Go buy another winger and a forward, get Jack back in CM.

Regardless of his new contract if the owners see fit then I’m sure they would be more likely to pay him off than  take the huge financial hit of relegation .

Leicester were ruthless in sacking ranieri months after winning the title - there is no sentiment in football .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Yep as mad as the Lambert extension way back.

You just don't do that mid season

Especially when hovering above the RZ. But the guys who made that decision will be choosing our next manager. !!! ...that's why I hope DS comes good !!!!! 

6 minutes ago, AV82 said:

After Nakamba's mistake for the goal not one player put their arm around him to lift his chin. Not one of them. Where is the leadership? Where is the drive to pick up your team mates and get on with the game? We are utterly void of anything resembling team-spirit and that's before I mention players not knowing who to mark, gesturing and shouting at one another with puzzled faces. Shape up Smith, this is shit.

Yes agreed . Always felt that this a disjointed team. Alway witnessed many teams gathered, all players arms on each other shoulders in full circle before kickoff, but not once have I seen Villa players do that.   It’s like there’s 2 or 3 sub unit in our team match day that & clearly reflect the way we play.  Really hope Smith sort this out soon ! 

Just now, Eastie said:

Regardless of his new contract if the owners see fit then I’m sure they would be more likely to pay him off than  take the huge financial hit of relegation .

Leicester were ruthless in sacking ranieri months after winning the title - there is no sentiment in football .

I think there is sentiment at avfc - new contract when just above the RZ !

Smith is under real pressure now. I like him and want him to succeed but we are going backwards. His Plan A is not working and I am rapidly coming to the conclusion he has no Plan B. He made his tactical substitutions much too late today. In the last 15 minutes of the game we put them under real pressure once those changes had been made so why not earlier?

I don't want to see him sacked but unless we improve very quickly he will be.

Just now, foreveryoung said:

How do you know they have not already been hunting?

I don't 

I didn't know they were hunting Wesley either ! - some poor decisions at top level - you think they have a gem of a manager lined up .....I really wouldn't hold your breath.

Yeah, contract was unusual, but we are unsure how much that contract is worth and what clauses are in it. He came from Brentford earning 120k a year, I doubt it's gonna cost millions to cancel. An it may be based on keeping us up. 

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

How do you know they have not already been hunting?

If we really are a well run club then we should be constantly looking at potential managers. It would be neglect not to. Managers are humans and so subject to irrational decisions, Klopp could suddenly decide he wants to manage Watford or simply step under a bus. I bet Liverpool have a contingency plan even if it isn’t at the forefront of their current thinking. We should always have a back up plan or two, regardless of the manager’s situation. 

• Like 1

I’m certainly not calling for Smith to be sacked but I don’t think the new contract is a negative. This gives some certainty to the players in a tricky period. Also, Purslow et al, aren’t stupid. There may well be a clause that compensation is limited if sacked when in bottom 3 etc. 

We had a tricky spell this time last year and Smith came out of it with flying colours. Obviously another level of difficulty now but sacking Smith isn’t the answer. This can still be turned around quickly with the upcoming fixtures.

4 minutes ago, Elton said:

I’m certainly not calling for Smith to be sacked but I don’t think the new contract is a negative. This gives some certainty to the players in a tricky period. Also, Purslow et al, aren’t stupid. There may well be a clause that compensation is limited if sacked when in bottom 3 etc. 

We had a tricky spell this time last year and Smith came out of it with flying colours. Obviously another level of difficulty now but sacking Smith isn’t the answer. This can still be turned around quickly with the upcoming fixtures.

Norwich , Watford and burnley in the next 10 days should give us a good idea of whether we can turn it around under smith - I’m not too confident it will happen 

8 minutes ago, Elton said:

He came out of it with flying colours yes but it coincided with Grealish returning. No escaping that.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Interested in @TRO assessment after this horror show

If you look carefully at Southampton and what their players were doing, closing us down at every opportunity and denying us room to play...they roamed in packs, not individual raids like ours, that resulted in the main as token gestures, going through the motions.

In contrast when they had the ball they had open spaces to play in.

That scenario is simply not good enough.....If we carry on being as benevolent as we are , we will surely go down

We can't defend with any competency

We can claim formations not right and injured players have inhibited us, or playing the wrong players.....but this is something deeper and its been with us for some time.

Pretty football can turn in to ugly football if its unchecked and substance not added, tackling and pressing.....that's where we are at.

The discipline has gone and the concentration with it......we have too many players simply not good enough.

I don't know where Dean goes with this, but I fear the January Window will not suffice, even if I could be sure we would sign the right players.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Eastie said:

We had a tricky spell this time last year and Smith came out of it with flying colours

Smith was clueless when Grealish was injured, won 2 out of 15 and was in bottom half of Championship! Jack comes back, we win 10 in a row and it’s all Dean!😆

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I despair at our fans sometimes. 

Its pretty bad. Can understand anger after a loss but the rewriting of Smith time here is childish 

This time last season we were hosting the likea of Bolton amd QPR

Â