Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The football is shit. Smith is known for high intensity and high press, we demonstrate none of that, it's clear that's not even been coached into the side. Defensively we're a mess, especially from set pieces and there's been no adjustments as we are conceding the same sort of goals from those situations. 

He also has no plan B, let alone a plan C, which is really required at this level these days, if you have one way of setting a side up and one way of playing you're going to get found out and you won't last long.

I love Smith as a person, love what he did last season, but if I think with my head rather than my heart I just see a manager who is not really up to it at this level.

I think if you sit and watch that as I did .... its inevitable a conclusion like yours is aired.......It was dreadful.

No animation from Dean, like looking on Hiroshima, no answer.

50 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Reminds me of February last year. String of poor results everyone was saying our season was over and Smith was done. 

He turned it around, put together one of our best runs in recent history and got us bloddy promoted.

No he didn’t, Jack Grealish came back from injury. What did he do differently? What was the miracle change in tactics or formation? I must have missed it! 

6 minutes ago, av1 said:

I despair at our fans sometimes. 

People should absolutely be debating his adequacy for the role. I'd draw the line at Smith out, but to despair at fans debating whether he's the right man to keep us up is a bit childish IMO (if that's what you're despairing at).

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

11 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

Smith was clueless when Grealish was injured, won 2 out of 15 and was in bottom half of Championship! Jack comes back, we win 10 in a row and it’s all Dean

Edited by Eastie
  • Like 1

He had no right to get us promoted with the mess he inherited.

I said at the start of the season that even if we get relegated I'd like to see Smith remain as manager. Burnley stuck with Dyche and came back stronger after relegation. Smith has only been here a year and it would be awful to get rid, he'd be a victim of his own success.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

No he didn’t, Jack Grealish came back from injury. What did he do differently? What was the miracle change in tactics or formation? I must have missed it! 

If it was so simple we should have won every game Jack started last season. Bruce would still be manager. Football its so Easy

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People should absolutely be debating his adequacy for the role. I'd draw the line at Smith out, but to despair at fans debating whether he's the right man to keep us up is a bit childish IMO.

Can’t help but question his ability and the people around him after today.  We’ve just been beaten (quite easily) by a fellow relegation candidate.  

Players looked beaten going off at half time and things didn’t really improve after the break.  Did they receive a rocket at half time?  Who knows, but there was little reaction.

We certainly need to see a reaction on Boxing Day, because if we see another home defeat, then we need to seriously think about a change. Blind faith won’t keep us up.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Remember  how everyone on here was saying what a brilliant transfer window it was, what great players we’d signed, how excited everyone was for the new season, how we’d signed Benrahma from Brentford, and we was in “advanced talks” with Belloti from Torino! 🤔. Aahh, happy days indeed.

1 minute ago, CoNnErS said:

Remember  how everyone on here was saying what a brilliant transfer window it was, what great players we’d signed, how excited everyone was for the new season, how we’d signed Benrahma from Brentford, and we was in “advanced talks” with Belloti from Torino! 🤔. Aahh, happy days indeed.

Nobody said that at all but cool. you only just opened an account yet mainly just post in this thread 🤔🤔🤔

3 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Can’t help but question his ability and the people around him after today.  We’ve just been beaten (quite easily) by a fellow relegation candidate.  

Players looked beaten going off at halt time and things didn’t really improve after the break.  Did they receive a rocket at half time?  Who knows, but there was little reaction.

We certainly need to see a reaction on Boxing Day, because if we see another home defeat, then we need to seriously think about a change. Blind faith won’t keep us up.

The one positive thing today in losing to Southampton is that they looked dead and buried a month ago and turned it round while sticking with their manager.  Fact is we all expected a relegation fight and it's inevitable in a relegation fight that you go through really shit periods.  We do need Mings back as a leader and organiser on the pitch ASAP and a new striker though.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

If it was so simple we should have won every game Jack started last season. Bruce would still be manager. Football its so Easy

Your right, good point, it’s never that simplistic! Trouble is, the man in charge at the moment is making the game look very very difficult.

3 minutes ago, CoNnErS said:

Same as when we made all the signings in the transfer window before we were relegated. Whenever you rebuild an entire squad let alone the playing eleven you are going to see a huge number of risks.

You can't build on a core when we never had one.

Clutching at straws here but could the language barrier be a factor?

Sure all our players are at least OK at English but we do have a squad with a diverse background from Egypt to Zimbabwe and France to Belgium to Brazil.

No I don't really believe it either.

Now is the time for careful thought, steely grit and resolve. Questions can be asked of Dean and the current job he is doing and also  how he can improve both himself and the team. He is a seasoned manager at lower league level and like the vast majority of the squad new to this league. Mistakes will get made as they all adjust as a group but must get learned from quickly. He may not have the ability to step up but time is required and I have faith we will turn our form around . I’d say it’s to soon to question his position but we must start to improve sharpish We must find the right midfield mix as it just ain’t working, the balance isn’t right. He should also move away from his rigid 433 imo and move to 4231 next game. Looking at his career record his teams are prone for whatever reason on going on polar Opposite runs of form ...Needs to sort that out ! 

Keep the faith as we are can be a fickle bunch and too quick to cast Judgement.

Â