Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, tinker said:

Smith has a proven record of over achieving, he's lost 2 games we have expected to win and you want him out ...........Pathetic attitude , think about the last 18 months.

Smith and his team need time , let's give them that time and support them , if we go down then we go down together, Smith may go,  but we're not gonna implode as a club . 

How many more games would you like us to remember the last 18 months for, I dont think you should be saying anyone has a 'pathetic attitude', least of all TRO

• Like 1

Only two teams had a better defence than Everton in Roberto Martínez's first season with them, second season they weren't quite so good defensively conceding fifty goals, but we're on course to concede much more than that, so it's wrong to say he's as bad as Smith defensively never mind 'even worse', wouldn't have had much money to spend then either as it was before their takeover. Had a look on their forum recently and most of their fans admit with hindsight that they were wrong to get rid of him when they did. If Smith was to go whoever comes in it will be someone who will have faults, we've got no chance of the likes of Pochettino or even Benitez.

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

In the situation we are in no one should cry about the prospect of Big Sam. Never been relegated. In his last managerial job he finished 8th.

Last time he managed in the Championship was with West Ham. Led them to promotion on his first attempt.

He was relegated at Notts County

I wouldnt sack smith, if he takes us down then so be it. Football under him has been the best weve had in years, hes reconnected the club with the fans and personally I couldn't give a shit about being a mid table premier league club. I'd rather we showed a bit of loyalty in one of our own.

• Like 2

You’re all talking about big Sam etc. This team doesn’t have the backbone to survive playing that kind of football. Trez, Nakamba, Luis, AEG, Wes... they ain’t up to it. No fight, no desire.

I don’t know what the answer is. Maybe we just aren’t good enough. Not the end of the world saying it. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I wouldnt sack smith, if he takes us down then so be it. Football under him has been the best weve had in years, hes reconnected the club with the fans and personally I couldn't give a shit about being a mid table premier league club. I'd rather we showed a bit of loyalty in one of our own.

Have you been watching the football we've been playing the past weeks?

• Like 1

This thread is bizarre!!! Talking about Smith leaving however it would happen is nuts.  

I’m furious today but at no point did I think about Smith’s job being at risk and I’m surprised this has come up.....although it is the internet so anything is possible as it shows.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

How many more games would you like us to remember the last 18 months for, I dont think you should be saying anyone has a 'pathetic attitude', least of all TRO

I can say what I think , so can Tro . We're not making the decisions at the club, thank f**k

For me it would be a pathetic thing to sack Smith after what he has done, especially for a manager like Big Sam , it's a laughable suggestion tbh.

There's no quality control on a forum or booking history, Tros a fan and that obvious to.me but that doesn't make him right UTV 

Just now, tinker said:

I can say what I think , so can Tro . We're not making the decisions at the club, thank f**k

For me it would be a pathetic thing to sack Smith after what he has done, especially for a manager like Big Sam , it's a laughable suggestion tbh.

There's no quality control on a forum or booking history, Tros a fan and that obvious to.me but that doesn't make him right UTV 

I never said anyone was wrong or right, I was implying you can articulate yourself better..... but maybe you can't

• Haha 1

Let me ask an open question for those still backing Dean Smith. Do you honestly think Smith is capable of leading us out of the relegation zone? Because if not and you're just backing him because of sentimentality reasons, then I don't know what else to say. Cleary you and I have completely different aspirations for this club. I'd rather we do everything we can to make sure we don't go down again and lose all our best players instead of hanging on to manager we don't even think is good enough to keep us up and hope he would be able to be good enough to bring us up from the Championship, something I feel that may be taken for granted that Smith can easily do again just because he's managed it once before. If that means sacking Smith and bringing in a manager who has a proven track record of keeping sides up, so **** be it.

If you're not sure but you still think he should be given a couple more games at least try and turn it around, then you're where I'm at right now on him. I mean, personally I'm really leaning heavily on the Smith out fence at this point but I think he deserves a couple more games to at least show all the doubters including myself wrong. But if we're heavily in the thick of it by then, he simply has to go. Relegation is just unacceptable, end of.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Smith has to get a minium of 4 points from the next two games or he should resign without taking a penny in compo if he truely loves Villa.

and if the board are as ambitious as they claim they will go all out for Poch. IF everton can get anchelotti then surely we can get a big name.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with Big Sam however this would prove to me the board are no richer than Tony Xia. So therefore its Rafa or Poch

People may laugh at this, but if these owners really are serious about taking us forward in the coming years then they need to start thinking big. Rafa is more realistic than Poch but why not put all our efforts into enticing Poch. Everton have just appointed Ancelotti, how on earth they managed that I don't know, we need to start showing some ambition ourselves. We were actually a relatively big club 10 years ago believe it or not. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Let me ask an open question for those still backing Dean Smith. Do you honestly think Smith is capable of leading us out of the relegation zone?

Yes. 

The real question would be, do you think it would be largely different with a new manager and the same players? No. 

We are unfortunately having a rough patch and some players are showing they aren't PL quality. That's a risk you take when you have to buy and bed in 10 new faces over one summer. 

It's been a big task, but we've played some good stuff as well. We need more windows to stabilize and get rid of shite players. 

I don't think changing a manager will suddenly learn Wesley to play football or Hause to defend, or El Ghazi defensive positioning. These are the players we got. 

We might get relegated and that was always going to be the big fight this season. It's just weird people are now realizing it's a genuine possibility. 

People always knee jerk and fail to see the grass isn't always greener. Remember the same people on here saying Mings was trash and needed to be dropped. I tried to point out he did a lot of defensive organising and even when he dropped a bollock, he made up for that every match. Apparantly they knew best and someone new was the solution. Shock and horror, it wasn't. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Very worrying that mistakes at set pieces have been a regular occurrence all season with no sign of things being changed, even though this is one of the easier things to game plan for. Its also one of the things as a newly promoted team you need to sort, as generally you will concede more set pieces.

Against Leicester we had Elmo marking Evans, today El Ghazi marking Stephens. Think both Man U goals the other week were from corners, Neves for Wolves - yeah just leave one of the best long range shooters with 10 yards of space on the edge of the box. 

22 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think Smith should go, but if he wasn't a Villa fan and spoke with a Scottish accent then most of the posts in this thread would be calling for him to be sacked.

what an absolute load of nonsense.

He has a lot of good will, partly because he's a fan, but mostly because he took us from the doldrums of 3 years in the championship, from 15th when he took over, to the playoffs, promotion, a record breaking 10 game winning streak, some of the best football we have seen at the club for 5-10 years, and gave the fan base some hope that hasn't been present for probably........a decade?

Luckily (or not due to implied age), i remember the so called "good days" when Angel, Yorke, Savo, Carew, Milner, Young, Petrov, Barry, Ehiogu, Carbone, Merson, Southgate, Saunders, Staunton, Atkinson etc etc graced our club, but since those days we fell hard and fast, and it was all downhill until Smith turned it around (and for all the hate, Bruce did start that revival but failed in the end), the last decade has been seriously painful for any villa fan, and i kinda feel sorry for any fans that only ever remember the declining years (last decade basically).

even after that some people are calling for his head, which is their opinion based on whatever criteria they base it on, and those that want to stick with him, also likely have numerous different or similar reasons for their opinion, absolutely ZERO of which would be related to whether his accent is english, scottish, welsh.......unicorn......

again, what a nonsensical comment.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, andym said:

Very worrying that mistakes at set pieces have been a regular occurrence all season with no sign of things being changed, even though this is one of the easier things to game plan for. Its also one of the things as a newly promoted team you need to sort, as generally you will concede more set pieces.

Against Leicester we had Elmo marking Evans, today El Ghazi marking Stephens. Think both Man U goals the other week were from corners, Neves for Wolves - yeah just leave one of the best long range shooters with 10 yards of space on the edge of the box. 

Just checked, yes we are indeed top of the league in terms of goals conceded from set pieces(excluding penalties) with 11.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Yes. 

The real question would be, do you think it would be largely different with a new manager and the same players? No. 

We are unfortunately having a rough patch and some players are showing they aren't PL quality. That's a risk you take when you have to buy and bed in 10 new faces over one summer. 

It's been a big task, but we've played some good stuff as well. We need more windows to stabilize and get rid of shite players. 

I don't think changing a manager will suddenly learn Wesley to play football or Hause to defend, or El Ghazi defensive positioning. These are the players we got. 

We might get relegated and that was always going to be the big fight this season. It's just weird people are now realizing it's a genuine possibility. 

If we get relegated it's disastrous, we've spent £150m. 

It's very easy to say we don't have PL quality players as a way of defending the manager. But remember he signed those players, he clearly felt they were PL quality, and if they're not that's on him. I kind of agree that it seems the quality was lacking in many signings, but that again comes back to Smith not being a big enough manager to entice better quality players. I also look at many teams in this league who are above us such as Burnley and Sheff Utd and don't think they have an awful lot of true PL quality either. Often it's the system which makes players look bad, and that's the case with us.

I completely disagree that a new manager wouldn't get this team playing more as a unit than Smith is doing. The football wouldn't be as attacking but we'd at least keep clean sheets and pick up scrappy wins which is what we need right now.

We stick with Smith and nothing will change. We must stay up.

• Like 1

Â