Jump to content
Demitri_C

Dean Smith

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

People should absolutely be debating his adequacy for the role. I'd draw the line at Smith out, but to despair at fans debating whether he's the right man to keep us up is a bit childish IMO (if that's what you're despairing at).

Debating is fine, but some on here have been having a pop since he came here, even claiming promotion was a fluke. 1

Now people are calling for Big Sam for crying out loud. 

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

In what way?

c41,800 there.......they deserved a medal.

I was one of them, and certainly deserve a medal for putting up with the plums that sit around me screaming for a change of formation 5mins into the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sne said:

Clutching at straws here but could the language barrier be a factor?

Sure all our players are at least OK at English but we do have a squad with a diverse background from Egypt to Zimbabwe and France to Belgium to Brazil.

No I don't really believe it either.

I believe such things do play a part .. I am from a country with diverse nationalities & sometimes the fault lines are permanent despite our best effort.. if this is really the case , we would need a manager with strong personality & character to overcome to drill into players to set their individual difference for the greater good .. Smith seemed a bit mild /soft to be able to do this ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Modern football waits for no man.

Ranieri lasted until February the year after he won Leicester the title.

Right or wrong the club will be pragmatic about Smith.

January will be huge, the current squad is not good enough.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Debating is fine, but some on here have been having a pop since he came here, even claiming promotion was a fluke. 1

Now people are calling for Big Sam for crying out loud. 

I was one of them, and certainly deserve a medal for putting up with the plums that sit around me screaming for a change of formation 5mins into the game. 

I think many of us are clutching at straws.....because that performance and result was abysmal.

Southampton must have felt their Xmas had come early.

I don't know what the answer is, except it has been coming and my posts have reiterated that over the weeks.

This team has a soft under belly and a tendency to run to look busy with little intention of making it difficult for the opposition.....I could quote umpteen things we just do wrong....but its boring and too many for my patience.

I think Dean has a real stern test of his managerial ability, to turn this around, but so far i see no encouragement to think he will.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sne said:

Modern football waits for no man.

Ranieri lasted until February the year after he won Leicester the title.

Right or wrong the club will be pragmatic about Smith.

January will be huge, the current squad is not good enough.

correct.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sne said:

Modern football waits for no man.

Ranieri lasted until February the year after he won Leicester the title.

Right or wrong the club will be pragmatic about Smith.

January will be huge, the current squad is not good enough.

I can't see him being sacked. He will be given the chance to keep us up. A new manager now would be a terrible decision. This time last year, who would have thought we'd be in a scrap for Premier league survival? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Needs to sink in, the last time we played in this division we finished on an embarrassing 17 points. 

We have been away 3 seasons and have 15 currently with half a season to go

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zatman said:

Needs to sink in, the last time we played in this division we finished on an embarrassing 17 points. 

We have been away 3 seasons and have 15 currently with half a season to go

Being better than the season we finished on 17 points is hardly supposed to be encouraging. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smith has one way of playing. It peaks and troughs, any self respecting Walsall and Brentford fan will tell you that 

You can get away with that in league one and the championship

Premier league you cant

Sorry, I know he is Villa through and through but Smith has hit his ceiling 

Shame because we have showed some promise, but he is in massive trouble and isn’t smart enough to get out of it

Gutted, but he is starting to look like Lambert

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I can't see him being sacked. He will be given the chance to keep us up. A new manager now would be a terrible decision. This time last year, who would have thought we'd be in a scrap for Premier league survival? 

I don't think so either, at least not until if things get desperate.

But then again i would not be totally shocked if he was if this form continues.

The owners has to look to protect their investment. If they feel they can find someone who has a better shot at this they will possibly act. 

Don't think they will make any rash decisions thou.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, sne said:

I don't think so either, at least not until if things get desperate.

But then again i would not be totally shocked if he was if this form continues.

The owners has to look to protect their investment. If they feel they can find someone who has a better shot at this they will possibly act. 

Don't think they will make any rash decisions thou.

That’s football - who would have thought poch or ranieri would lose their jobs after such success - smith should  be judged on results and  certainly the next 3 games are crucial - lose them and I cannot see him surviving 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, KHV said:

Smith has one way of playing. It peaks and troughs, any self respecting Walsall and Brentford fan will tell you that 

You can get away with that in league one and the championship

Premier league you cant

Sorry, I know he is Villa through and through but Smith has hit his ceiling 

Shame because we have showed some promise, but he is in massive trouble and isn’t smart enough to get out of it

Gutted, but he is starting to look like Lambert

 

Bang on here chap. I think he will struggle to get another job in the Prem after us, he's just not ready, an it's there for everyone to see. His style of football can only work with top quality players in this league, the likes that we don't have. This is why I feel the team is good enough to stay up, but not playing Smith football.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Nobody said that at all but cool. you only just opened an account yet mainly just post in this thread 🤔🤔🤔

REALLY?????

This transfer window is insane. I don't think I will ever experience one like this again. They players we have brought in are just so exciting. Normally I would be over the moon and really happy had we brought in one or two of them, now we have over 10!

I thought our budget would be around £50-60M and then a couple of loans and freebees. Now we are seriously building someting

 

Thats from August 4th, from another deluded fan, you’ve got a short memory! And whats your point about me just joining site? You was born on here or didn’t you join at some point also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick or twist is the question they ask themselves now. Is Smith the right man to keep us in the division?  We owe him no loyalty we just need to do whatever it takes to keep up. 

Bruce didn’t get us promoted but is doing far better in this division than Smith. He has no experience at this level and it’s showing 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, sne said:

Modern football waits for no man.

Ranieri lasted until February the year after he won Leicester the title.

Right or wrong the club will be pragmatic about Smith.

January will be huge, the current squad is not good enough.

Nigel Adkins did a better job at Southampton than DS has done here imo. He took over Southampton in September 2010 when they were mid table in league one. Were outside the prem bottom 3 in Jan 2013 and improving (they'd just beaten us away 1-0 and got a 2-2 at Chelsea) when he was sacked for an unknown called Pochettino. They made at the time what looked a strange decision but it worked well for next five years.

I don't want DS sacked as generally he's a manager I've really got behind and believed in since he was appointed just 14 months ago. He achieved the main brief of promotion.

However it's clearly like Wesley on the pitch he's really struggling at the moment with some of the demands at this level. Now the question is do we give him the time and in two years he could be a really good manager. However the problem is can the club really afford a relegation in the meantime? I believe not.

Someone on another forum has made a good point. We let him go now and in the long run it could be best for all parties. He still leaves as a hero having got us promoted and the next manager has loads of games to get around 20 points to stay up (remember Sherwood came in middle of Feb and comfortably kept us up so there's still loads of time) or we keep faith, he dosen't keep us up and then it all goes really toxic next season if we're back mid table in the championship.

Obviously I hope he can still turn things round but a dismal 3-1 loss at home to Southampton dosen't really make me confident for even draws from Norwich and Watford games.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Needs to sink in, the last time we played in this division we finished on an embarrassing 17 points. 

We have been away 3 seasons and have 15 currently with half a season to go

You still get relegated with 30 points.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

That contract extension was premature.

I’m also a bit peeved that he has even asked for a new deal. I’m sure he would have got a tasty promotion bonus. If he’d have kept us up then by all means negotiate a new deal, but to be asking for improved terms at that stage was very selfish. There was no real danger of us losing him either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Bang on here chap. I think he will struggle to get another job in the Prem after us, he's just not ready, an it's there for everyone to see. His style of football can only work with top quality players in this league, the likes that we don't have. This is why I feel the team is good enough to stay up, but not playing Smith football.

I actually think he'd do well at likes of Brighton and Newcastle with how those clubs work but ultimately atm he's showing he's only a manager who can drift around 15th-18th. In two years time he could be capable of leading a team into the top half but he's way behind the elite ones on simple things like game management and tactical flexibility and that's being exposed on a weekly basis.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And people complain about the players not having the fight. Too many posters on this board are weak bottlers. We're only just in the bottom three, with a string of massive games coming up. 

People acting like it's **** Remi Garde all over again. 

Get over yourselves and get behind the team and the manager. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...
Â