Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Blasterpocket68 said:

the problem is we have no confident pattern of play, no style or identity. We cant continue to play 4 3 3 were simply not good enough. Norwich and Watford are massive games for him now. it was always going to be a tough season but i simply do not see any progress or signs things are getting better. Player recruitment is also a major concern!

I don't get what has happened to the pass and move and playing in triangles.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Just no. It was 0-0, so why change to 4-4-2? This is just revisionist thinking at best. The question is whether Lansbury would have been a more progressive choice rather than Nakamba who can't do anything other than break up play. That's the real debate vis-a-vis that substitution. 

No, I thought it at the time, and you can see other people saying it in the match thread in the first half. You're making out like 4-4-2 is a radical attacking system, rather than a mainstream formation that loads of clubs (Southampton, Leicester...) use for 90 mins.

Wesley suits a front 2 better and the way Southampton were playing, there was no need for a defensive midfielder. They left two strikers high and played the ball direct to them. The DM wasn't doing any useful work.

I agree btw that there are other things Smith could have done, like bringing Lansbury on. However, one thing Southampton do have is very good pace and energy, and I think Lansbury might have struggled with that.

Edited by KentVillan

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Only problem is there is not really a clear candidate out there that would come to us.

I hate the fact that I don't think he can keep us up, but the recent performances aren't filling me with much confidence.

You'd like to think there are people at the club competent enough to sound the right people out , even if they aren't a name. Not many Southampton fans had heard of pochettino and Adkins wasn't even doing too bad when he got sacked. This Suso bloke worries me though. 

• Like 1

Sad thing about our transfer policy is I feel most of the young players we brought in will probably go on to bigger and better things in spite of how they may seem for us now,  and we'd be in the Championship struggling to even make the playoffs. Essentially exactly the same thing that happened to us last time we went down.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Sad thing about our transfer policy is I feel most of the young players we brought in will probably go on to bigger and better things in spite of how they may seem for us now,  and we'd be in the Championship struggling to even make the playoffs. Essentially exactly the same thing that happened to us last time we went down.

Yeah, we've signed well in terms of long term investment prospects. Think we just underestimated how tough it would be to stay up this season.

Just now, New_Hope said:

He's doing a great job managing all 3 clubs right now isn't he??

I'm not a fan of Allardyce but this isn't the best argument. None of those teams were relegated and you can't argue with that. He might not manage any of them now, but he kept them in the league.

Would still make me feel a bit sick having Meatloaf as our manager though.

Our spending was the bare minimum we could get away with, nothing was extravagant, it was shoring up a near dead club run down after many seasons of mismanagement. We are still out of step of the PL and this project is going to take time, we may have to accept going down is part of that road to recovery. But we have invested in the whole management and should persevere rather than panic managing with short term appointments that may or may not work.

I really think we are still 4-5 players short of a middling PL team yet. Lots of work to do to breathe life back into the club, it’s not a quick fix.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

People were saying the same thing when we were in the Championship though, and we were good enough last season to get promoted.

We fluked promotion mate! We had to beat our club record wins, lost 1 game in our last 13 was it? And we still only made the playoffs by 3 points! Then we scrape passed WBA on pens, and then just about beat Derby. It’s not like we romped the division by 10 points. This isn’t the Championship, DS is being tactically outclassed week in week out, no Plan B, and not much of a Plan A!

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Yeah, we've signed well in terms of long term investment prospects. Think we just underestimated how tough it would be to stay up this season.

The difference I feel is that this year, we've recruited better in terms of proven PL talent compared to last time but I fear its only going to be the difference between finishing bottom of the table and finishing 19h or 18th.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just now, thunderball said:

Our spending was the bare minimum we could get away with, nothing was extravagant, it was shoring up a near dead club run down after many seasons of mismanagement. We are still out of step of the PL and this project is going to take time, we may have to accept going down is part of that road to recovery. But we have invested in the whole management and should persevere rather than panic managing with short term appointments that may or may not work.

I really think we are still 4-5 players short of a middling PL team yet. Lots of work to do to breathe life back into the club, it’s not a quick fix.

How dare you use sensible and reasonable thinking at this hour?? We should just hit the red panic button and get another short sighted dinosaur in!!

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

The difference I feel is that this year, we've recruited better in terms of proven PL talent compared to last time but I fear its only going to be the difference between finishing bottom of the table and finishing 19h or 18th.

Heaton and Targett are proven PL talent. Not sure who else we have signed though, but my memory is shit.

Just now, lexicon said:

Great to see people supporting the guy who got us promoted through thick and thin. Really makes me proud to be a villa fan.

Grateful for what dean achieved last season - however at this level I feel he is out of his depth and first and foremost this club needs to stay up - sentimentality should not come into it 

• Like 1

Â