Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Hobbit Feet said:

Er opposition watched our games and figured it out. We are so predictable to play against it isn’t hard. 

Lol....it's not like there is a map to follow each time is it ffs? You move to different positions each time but we seem to have stopped doing it.

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

With a new contract signed recently he's going nowhere so the scouting staff need to pull some miracles off in January 

It's Lambert all over again. Deja vu.

When Lambert got a contract extension we couldn't stop losing.

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

With a new contract signed recently he's going nowhere so the scouting staff need to pull some miracles off in January 

I think regardless of his new contract the board would be more likely to give him a pay off than take the huge financial hit of relegation - if they did decide to change things I doubt his contract would be an issue .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Great to see people supporting the guy who got us promoted through thick and thin. Really makes me proud to be a villa fan.

I was very disappointed with Smith today, but some amazing stuff coming out... apparently we fluked promotion last season?

• Like 1

Just now, jacketspuds said:

Heaton and Targett are proven PL talent. Not sure who else we have signed though, but my memory is shit.

Mings I guess. Depends on your definition of "proven". Still, I'd rather Mings, Heaton and Targett than Richards, Lescott and Scott Sinclair.(and I never even disliked Sinclair that much).

Most worryingly is our team played in a very disjointed manner , not as a team .. clearly we have a match winner Grealish & or maybe Ming , that basically carried the whole team.. that should not be the way , as modern successful team like wolves / Sheffield do.. they all played & bond as a team.. I don’t see this in our current team .. 

I still believe Smith philosophy/ style of football is correct ( his famous last word before our playoff final to players was : be a better teammate) , but maybe he doesn’t have the reputation /aura like the Rodgers/Nuno Santo etc to influence / inspired players played to his style , unlike in Brentford where  the players are relatively unknown & easier to coached. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Great to see people supporting the guy who got us promoted through thick and thin. Really makes me proud to be a villa fan.

Pretty sure Grealish coming back and having the best striker in the championship had a little to do with it also.

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No room for sentiment in football, especially when the stakes are this high. If you're not doing good enough you get moved on, Leicester sacked ranieri 6 months after winning the league because they were getting sucked into a relegation battle. Smith needs to show why he is the man to take us forward and currently he is not doing that, 1 more game to save his job imo. 

• Like 4

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Mings I guess. Depends on your definition of "proven". Still, I'd rather Mings, Heaton and Targett than Richards, Lescott and Scott Sinclair.(and I never even disliked Sinclair that much).

Oh definitely. But I think the problem is we haven't brought in enough players with experience of English football as this would have given the other new players some breathing space.

Bloody Chelsea and their stupid transfer ban. I honestly think we would have got Abraham had that not happened.

We have recruited a bunch of players who are not ready for the step up to the premier or simply will never be.

Loosing to a bottom three side really has left me gobsmacked, we are struggling against the teams struggling.

We have to start winning some games, our players, staff are making this look like an impossible task, to the point we need John wick in a football shirt 😂.

Seriously though after today and seeing our performances getting worse, I think we are done in this league, we need a miracle to stay up.

3 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

No room for sentiment in football, especially when the stakes are this high. If you're not doing good enough you get moved on, Leicester sacked ranieri 6 months after winning the league because they were getting sucked into a relegation battle. Smith needs to show why he is the man to take us forward and currently he is not doing that, 1 more game to save his job imo. 

Exactly. This isn't about Smith, it's about the club.

We thank him for what he did last season but if he isn't fit at this level it's time to part ways.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I was very disappointed with Smith today, but some amazing stuff coming out... apparently we fluked promotion last season?

I havent read anything like that. Smith did great last year, wasnt perfect but you cant knock the guy who got us promoted, it's a memory that will link smith and Villa with the fans forever. That can never be taken away.

BUT I dont want to go back to the championship and with Smith in charge during this PL season, we are going straight back there. I would be far more behind Smith if he changed things around, made sensible subs with time enough left in the game to have an impact, drop players who aren't performing, anything really. He is very stubborn and has very thin skin when it comes to people questioning his tactics. But I do like the bloke.

I support Aston Villa not Dean Smith. IMO, Smith isnt good enough to keep us up. If he loses to Norwich I'd be looking for a successor. If he gets points on the board and gets some effective reinforcements in in Jan then great but his tactics and subs will still be the same. He isnt willing to change things that enough is clear.

I'd take Rafa tomorrow. That doesn't mean I hate Smith, he will always be a Villa legend for last season alone.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

Â