Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Mantis said:

Is he going down the Lambert route of gradually becoming more defensive even though it clearly isn't working for us?

Does seem that way doesn’t it. Part of me thinks the Prem is probably too big for him as he is slow to react etc. Can get away with it further down the leagues.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

Is the Premier League too big for Dean Smith?

Christ almighty our fans.

He is six games in.

Would you write off a player after six games of their career in the PL?* No? So let’s give Smith time to learn.

*Obviously a lot of Villa fans would, which is sad in itself, but that’s a different issue.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Didn't get taking off trez at all. I think actually we got really nervous - the only shots in the 2nd half were just after Arsenal equalised.

The PL is fine margins - giving Arsenal a fright - but not ruthless enough to get the job done. Still very early in DS career - he has shown he can learn.

• Like 1

I'm angry and frustrated. Smith has to learn from this. We are not good enough to sit back on a lead. Our defence has played 6 PL games together, so why invite pressure. Why not just let the attacking players loose and see what they can do. I'd rather lose trying to win.

3 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Big issue with our fitness/options as a squad. Once 65/70 mins comes we are tired and it shows, we cant replace our starting 11 with any quality. No option on the wings, no pace on the bench.

Yes absolutely. Smith sides are supposed to be super fit. We are consistently tiring after 65 minutes, we also look physically weak. 

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Does seem that way doesn’t it. Part of me thinks the Prem is probably too big for him as he is slow to react etc. Can get away with it further down the leagues.

But why do they do it? It makes no sense.

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He is six games in.

Would you write off a player after six games of their career in the PL?* No? So let’s give Smith time to learn.

*Obviously a lot of Villa fans would, which is sad in itself, but that’s a different issue.

Dean should have just cleared the ball for the second goal ffs! What was he doing playing around in the box?

He shouldn't have allowed Luiz into the box in the first place for the penalty either!

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

He isn't any better than Bruce in his in game management and i think it will cost us dearly.

Whilst I prefer Smith in every aspect, Bruce certainly came to mind during this game. The way Smith was just watching on the sideline as we tired and basically fell apart in central midfield, but proceeded to absolutely nothing, reminded me very much of Bruce. 

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

He is six games in.

It was a question, not a statement. I agree I don't know whether or not the PL is too big for him just yet, it's too soon to tell, but so far I believe he underestimates a lot of in-game situations and hasn't got to grips with the level of opposition we now face. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes absolutely. Smith sides are supposed to be super fit. We are consistently tiring after 65 minutes, we also look physically weak. 

Makes you wonder what the **** they've been doing all summer. They're professional athletes, but can't keep up with a 1 man advantage? 

Â