Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We were winning the game against 10 men. Yes they have better players than us, that's why you don't sit back against 10 quality players when 2-1 up. 

That's down to the coaching staff to force us to stay forward, or make earlier changes. We all saw this, even the commentators did. Be interesting on MOT.

Yeh we f**ked up. Blame the players and the management. But to say smith is out of his depth and we’re getting relegated is OTT in my opinion.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

We were winning the game against 10 men. Yes they have better players than us, that's why you don't sit back against 10 quality players when 2-1 up. 

That's down to the coaching staff to force us to stay forward, or make earlier changes. We all saw this, even the commentators did. Be interesting on MOT.

Did you see our passing in the last 20 mins, wasn't coaching staff the reason we couldn't get into there midfield any More it was our passing and easy giveaways.

The blame lies with the players who you could well and truly see that they didn't want it enough, we should of won that game but to many errors gave it away.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Yeh we f**ked up. Blame the players and the management. But to say smith is out of his depth and we’re getting relegated is OTT in my opinion.

This!!! We’re gonna make mistakes, which we have to learn from but we’re not being battered every week.

2 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he got three major decisions wrong which I think is utterly bizarre cause they were apparent to me, and what the hell do I know. 

1) Davis should have been on for Wesley very early in the second half. One of the reasons Arsenal grew into that match with 10 men is because we basically were playing 10 vs 10. Wesley might have had a tap in, but his hold up play was abysmal. He did nothing to relieve pressure and get the team out when we starting sitting deep. 

2) We needed a midfield change earlier. Probably for McGinn, but it was clear we needed something.

3) He accepted the team sitting very deep for about 30 minutes of football (or probably about 50 minutes if you discount the bit I didn't see) while leading 11 vs 10. That's shocking management. Doesn't matter what excuse you find. Inexcusable. We might have been tired. Okey, then sub. We might think it was a wise tactical call, then you tell your players it isn't. It was bloody obvious for anyone who's watched football for more than 15 minutes that we would draw or lose that match from 2-1 on wards. We just let them cramp us up in our own box. Pathetic. Shocking. Piss poor. Worst match by Deano by some stretch, even if we were 2-1 up. 

No way was it a tactic. He was screaming for them to push up. The problem was we couldn’t keep the ball so the players kept having to drop. The manager can’t control the players ability to pass the ball.

I don't think Smith would tell the team to drop deep tbf, he's usually always shouting at us to push up.

That one's on the players for me, just a massive bottle job from them all. Just grow a pair and take control but no, not Aston Villa. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Smith did urge them forward he was in the touchline , motioning our players up the pitch for most of the second half. The players ignored him and sat deep and no leadership on the pitch allowed this to continue. 

I'm going to go and get my 3 hours sleep and spend the day pondering before commenting any further..... I think I would've rather just lost 3-0 in a normal fashion. 

Today really hurts, I don't normally get so carried away on one result but that result will shatter any confidence we had.

4 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We’ve had to entirely rebuild the squad this off season. Almost from square one. And after 6 games when we dont beat Arsenal, some folks are talking about smith not lasting til Christmas. F***ing embarrassing levels of entitlement on display. 

So because we are in transition, no criticism allowed? If those criticising have misunderstood please clarify precisely which elements it is okay and not okay to comment on?

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Or is it a very young squad with barely any experience at this level? "Keeps happening" = twice. Interesting interpretation.

Look I'm worried about our chances of staying up, but I don't think Dean Smith is necessarily the problem. Put Tammy Abraham in this team and we'd have another 5 points IMO.

A squad put together by this coaching staff.

And its not just the 2 games against 10 men, its things like Grealish trying to dribble out his own box at Spurs leading to a goal against, spotting Bournemouth 2 goals with stupid errors, Trezeguets tackle when already on a yellow against Palace etc

3 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Results like this get teams relegated. This will be a huge thorn in our player's side for a long time. And we were weak before it happened.

I'd love to know how people think Smith should have acted when the players got spooked and were not sticking to the game plan. You don't just press a button or say something and we're magically able to regain composure. It's like people think this is a video game or something. Weird. 

4 minutes ago, villanmac said:

Needs to understand that McGinn and Grealish aren’t subbable. Top managers aren’t afraid to take off their best players for the good of the team. I’m convinced the reason Lansbury or Conor didn’t come on is because he’s too fond of them to hook one of them off.

I get the impression Grealish tells Smith what's what rather than the other way around. I've had this niggling feeling, he does tend to fawn over him a bit, ref doesn't protect him etc etc when speaking to the media. Jack's been bang average, let's call a spade a spade here. 

Just now, AVTuco said:

Results like this get teams relegated. This will be a huge thorn in our player's side for a long time. And we were weak before it happened.

Yeah losing away by one goal to a team challenging for top 4 will definitely make or break a season. Have a word with yourself FFS.

Â