Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I'm going to go and get my 3 hours sleep and spend the day pondering before commenting any further..... I think I would've rather just lost 3-0 in a normal fashion. 

Today really hurts, I don't normally get so carried away on one result but that result will shatter any confidence we had.

I know what you mean but the team that went down would lose 3-0 in normal fashion. This team put up a fight but the quality just wasn’t there.  On another day we’d hold on. It just want to be. 

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he got three major decisions wrong which I think is utterly bizarre cause they were apparent to me, and what the hell do I know. 

1) Davis should have been on for Wesley very early in the second half. One of the reasons Arsenal grew into that match with 10 men is because we basically were playing 10 vs 10. Wesley might have had a tap in, but his hold up play was abysmal. He did nothing to relieve pressure and get the team out when we starting sitting deep. 

2) We needed a midfield change earlier. Probably for McGinn, but it was clear we needed something.

3) He accepted the team sitting very deep for about 30 minutes of football while leading 11 vs 10. That's shocking management. Doesn't matter what excuse you find. Inexcusable. We might have been tired. Okey, then sub. We might think it was a wise tactical call, then you tell your players it isn't. It was bloody obvious for anyone who's watched football for more than 15 minutes that we would draw or lose that match from 2-1 on wards. We just let them cramp us up in our own box. Pathetic. Shocking. Piss poor. Worst match by Deano by some stretch, even if we were 2-1 up. 

1. I think Davis for Wesley would have been more of the same tbh. Agree Wesley was poor besides the goal, but not sure this was an obvious switch.
  2. McGinn was our biggest goal threat throughout. Again, I completely agree that the midfield needed refreshing, but look at the options on the bench - Arsenal are a very fast side, and would have made Hourihane, Lansbury and Douglas look like statues.
  3. Mings was trying to push everyone higher which suggests that's what Deano wanted too? These things are always easier said than done.

Ultimately our squad is too weak. Deano shoulders some of the blame for that, because he should have flagged with Purslow and Suso that there are some big flaws with this current squad's makeup.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way was it a tactic. He was screaming for them to push up. The problem was we couldn’t keep the ball so the players kept having to drop. The manager can’t control the players ability to pass the ball.

Well if anything that's good. But when you see that happening and nothing changes, he must have other tools  prepared. Either make a sub or a tactical change. You can't just watch the trainwreck happen. I am just apathetic about this now, cause I've watched Villa do they same bullshit for 30 years. It's like it never changes. Get a lead you don't expect. Sit back. Defend deep. Bottle. Lose. 

Should imprint that shit under our badge instead of prepared. **** bottling crap team. 

3 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he got three major decisions wrong which I think is utterly bizarre cause they were apparent to me, and what the hell do I know. 

1) Davis should have been on for Wesley very early in the second half. One of the reasons Arsenal grew into that match with 10 men is because we basically were playing 10 vs 10. Wesley might have had a tap in, but his hold up play was abysmal. He did nothing to relieve pressure and get the team out when we starting sitting deep. 

2) We needed a midfield change earlier. Probably for McGinn, but it was clear we needed something.

3) He accepted the team sitting very deep for about 30 minutes of football (or probably about 50 minutes if you discount the bit I didn't see) while leading 11 vs 10. That's shocking management. Doesn't matter what excuse you find. Inexcusable. We might have been tired. Okey, then sub. We might think it was a wise tactical call, then you tell your players it isn't. It was bloody obvious for anyone who's watched football for more than 15 minutes that we would draw or lose that match from 2-1 on wards. We just let them cramp us up in our own box. Pathetic. Shocking. Piss poor. Worst match by Deano by some stretch, even if we were 2-1 up. 

1-If Davis had of come on Wes wouldnt of scored.

2- Mcginn was fine compares to other players.

3- You can't say he accepted the team sitting back, could you see him shouting at them to drive on, I could. 

I think the Smith haters are starting to appear, it's easy to blame the coach when things go wrong.

We've been out the Prem for seasons, come back into it and some of you expect us to walk away with wins, at this level things go wrong when even things go very right and that's what happened to us.

I will say that our players didn't help the situation, we lacked concentration when we went in front, every time it happened and then we would wake back up, we can't be affording that to happen.

Our player are going to have to stay awake for a full 90, not 70 mins, at this level we get pg wished and punished we was.

6 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

3) He accepted the team sitting very deep for about 30 minutes of football (or probably about 50 minutes if you discount the bit I didn't see) while leading 11 vs 10. That's shocking management. Doesn't matter what excuse you find. Inexcusable. We might have been tired. Okey, then sub. We might think it was a wise tactical call, then you tell your players it isn't. It was bloody obvious for anyone who's watched football for more than 15 minutes that we would draw or lose that match from 2-1 on wards. We just let them cramp us up in our own box. Pathetic. Shocking. Piss poor. Worst match by Deano by some stretch, even if we were 2-1 up. 

100% agree on these. For me he bottled taking McGinn off as he's one of our star players and point (3) just speaks to his reactionary and at times thoughtless in game management. The midfield was collapsing and getting overran, well guess what? You have these things called substitutes that you can deploy to bring fresh legs on and even, you know, change the look of the side tactically. 

Arsenal brought two central midfielders on and their fresh legs paid dividends. 

I have to say, and I really do like Smith a lot, but that second half is right up there among the most brainless managerial performances I've ever seen from a Villa manager. It even rivals Sherwood away to Leicester. 

• Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

Yeah losing away by one goal to a team challenging for top 4 will definitely make or break a season. Have a word with yourself FFS.

Arsenal are not a good side.

They were terrible today.

With our performance that could have been Watford and the same would have happened.

1 minute ago, AVTuco said:

Results like this get teams relegated. This will be a huge thorn in our player's side for a long time. And we were weak before it happened.

Nah I’d rather we are all pissed off because we should have won than being turned over 3-0 by half time like the old days. 

42 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

if he wants to be real top level manager one day rather than one just happy to finish 17th he really needs to learn about game management and use of subs at key times.

Seems to come from MON school of making one sub at 70th minute mark and the remaining 10 must remain on the pitch at all costs to try to finish the job.

Terrible use of subs all season imo at key stages of the matches.

Worst thing is I wrote all that when it was still 2-2. Think Auba was firing in the free kick as I pressed the submit.

As much as I like many of Dean's managerial qualities his in game management has been ruthlessly exposed so far this season. V Spurs was very similar to today and I thought his use of subs was really poor once West Ham went down to 10 men. We're throwing away points in early part of the season which is not good at all because of this.

If he genuinely dosen't think he has more than one good option to bring off the bench with 15-20 minutes left in a game we're leading 2-1 and the opposition are down to 10 men, well that dosen't say much for the 150m spend does it?

• Like 1

Just now, KentVillan said:
  1. I think Davis for Wesley would have been more of the same tbh. Agree Wesley was poor besides the goal, but not sure this was an obvious switch.
  2. McGinn was our biggest goal threat throughout. Again, I completely agree that the midfield needed refreshing, but look at the options on the bench - Arsenal are a very fast side, and would have made Hourihane, Lansbury and Douglas look like statues.
  3. Mings was trying to push everyone higher which suggests that's what Deano wanted too? These things are always easier said than done.

Ultimately our squad is too weak. Deano shoulders some of the blame for that, because he should have flagged with Purslow and Suso that there are some big flaws with this current squad's makeup.

I'm just gonna cover that first bit, but that's definitely not the case. Davis has hold up play that's some of the best I've ever seen at Villa, bar Heskey. Much much better than Wesley. By some bloody distance as well.   

4 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Sorry Smith, you're worse than Sherwood.

Same amount of points at the same stage so far so he’s up there.

Similar situations too, performed miracles the season before and  lots of new players brought in.

Will the knives be out so soon for Smith though?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lerner's Driver said:

So because we are in transition, no criticism allowed? If those criticising have misunderstood please clarify precisely which elements it is okay and not okay to comment on?

Well let me ask you a question. Do you think that Smith’s job should be in question after a narrow loss to Arsenal in the last few minutes, given the task he had to accomplish in replacing the team this year? 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

No way was it a tactic. He was screaming for them to push up. The problem was we couldn’t keep the ball so the players kept having to drop. The manager can’t control the players ability to pass the ball.

Why can't we keep the ball? That's the glaring weakness of this team.

1 minute ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Well if anything that's good. But when you see that happening and nothing changes, he must have other tools  prepared. Either make a sub or a tactical change. You can't just watch the trainwreck happen. I am just apathetic about this now, cause I've watched Villa do they same bullshit for 30 years. It's like it never changes. Get a lead you don't expect. Sit back. Defend deep. Bottle. Lose. 

Should imprint that shit under our badge instead of prepared. **** bottling crap team. 

It’s really frustrating but it always happens in games against better teams. Norwich had parked the bus v city but they missed the chances they created. Unfortunately for us Arsenal took theirs. 

It does feel like it always happens to us though. 

Just now, Uncle Albert said:

Needs to pull his finger out now, a mentally week arsenal team turned us over with 10 men. Thats frightening 

Yes I don't think arsenal are mentally weak that's the kind of obnoxious comments our fans are coming up with after we've been beat then we deserve that kind of thrashing for some of you to see how they got to us.

We are not above teams you knows they were good enough to beat us and use our sitting back against us, to me that resiliency and not mentally weak.

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Arsenal are not a good side.

They were terrible today.

With our performance that could have been Watford and the same would have happened.

Nah, don't agree with any of that. Sorry.

Just now, HKP90 said:

Six. Effing. Games. Come on, man!

Yep read back mate, I'm on your side but at some point we'll be saying it's only Christmas.... Today was a big big chance. We lose next week and other results go against us and we start to slide.

Â