Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Taking Trez off for Elmo is one of the worst decisions i've ever seen.

This is the type of games that will lose you the dressing room as a manager.

Trez was knackered.

• Like 3

Just now, KentVillan said:

We have a very slow squad. I don't think it's their stamina that is causing them to lose runners, but their lack of pace.

You can slam Deano all you like, but if his options are Hourihane, Lansbury, Elmohamady, Douglas, etc. then it's hard to see what he does to handle that.

We should have put the game away earlier, and that was nothing to do with tactics, and everything to do with player quality.

The thing is if he made the changes early and we still lost he’d be slammed for changing a team that was winning. 

Arsenal were poor but the standard of some of their players are miles ahead of ours. We havent got a single player in the team anywhere near the level of that French lad, Pepe and their striker. That’s 3 players that cost more than our whole squad put together.

Some of our fans need to get a grip.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

I think this will be the defining post of the first half of this season. Everyone looked knackered and the options from the bench are frighteningly limited. I'm not sure we'll get much more out of the squad we've assembled here. They work hard and then tire after 60 minutes but the quality isn't even there in the first place. If we're bringing on players like Lansbury and Davis who I'm not convinced were even good enough for the Championship then it's looking pretty desperate.

We may as well not have a bench.

A striker that can't get a game in the championship, and some midfielders that can't get in ahead of the worst wingers in the league. 

We need to stay within touching distance of safety and bring in at least a couple of quality additions in Jan. 

Whilst poor decisions were made by Smith certain areas of our team are so poor and we have zero quality off the bench either.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wtf were you even watching the game? Trez had clearly run himself in to the ground. 

If taking off a player who’s about to collapse is the worst decision you’ve ever seen then you clearly don’t watch a lot of football. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It wasn't even that bad of a decision given Trezeguet was tiring and not delivering any quality  in the final third.

The worst 'decision' was his indecision surrounding central midfield. Doing absolutely nothing when we were falling a part, looking legless and getting overran was just not good enough. You have to be proactive but the vast majority of Smith's in game management appears to be reactive.

The players don't look PL fit.

We lack quality out wide. Between Targett and Luiz we had 25 million pounds (for a winger) not in the squad today. Add in Konsa and it's 40 million in squad depth that's not being used, when we're crying out for quality out wide.

We were a goal up against a team with ten men. Dean Smith's failure to make changes (e.g. John McGinn may have played very well, but he needed to come off for Conor after 70 mins) cost us three points.

Players didn't do much for him but that was a disaster. Real carcrash.

Going out to win every match? Is that a lie then or are the players disobeying instructions? Right now it looks like a PR line because we are absolutely not attacking. Every time we did, they had no answer really, we were getting chances but we sat off and got deeper and deeper.

Surely the 2-1 goal made it clear, ah if we go forward we'll win this. Go and get Hourihane or Lansbury, put them on for Nakamba or whoever you bloody want and tell them to keep the ball. It was madness. So careless.

Only some players are allowed to be taken off due to fatigue it seems. McGinn and Grealish out on their arse most of second half.

How can he not see that happening? I don't understand.

That was Steve Bruce stuff from Smith today. I can't say anything worse. Absolutely terrible. The game happened around him.

Please Dean. Please drop Taylor. Please. Admit you're wrong, send him off to the reserves never to be seen again.

And just to finish that Arsenal are terrible. We have them that. That could have been Watford or Newcastle and the same would have happened. We walked then by the hand back into the game.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The thing is if he made the changes early and we still lost he’d be slammed for changing a team that was winning. 

Arsenal were poor but the standard of some of their players are miles ahead of ours. We havent got a single player in the team anywhere near the level of that French lad, Pepe and their striker. That’s 3 players that cost more than our whole squad put together.

I think you're ignoring the bigger picture..... I am usually like you but today was very very poor. Norwich and Sheffield United have poorer squads than us and they are picking up results ......

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We were winning the game against 10 men. Yes they have better players than us, that's why you don't sit back against 10 quality players when 2-1 up. 

That's down to the coaching staff to force us to stay forward, or make earlier changes. We all saw this, even the commentators did. Be interesting on MOT.

We’ve had to entirely rebuild the squad this off season. Almost from square one. And after 6 games when we dont beat Arsenal, some folks are talking about smith not lasting til Christmas. F***ing embarrassing levels of entitlement on display. 

• Thanks 1

Needs to understand that McGinn and Grealish aren’t subbable. Top managers aren’t afraid to take off their best players for the good of the team. I’m convinced the reason Lansbury or Conor didn’t come on is because he’s too fond of them to hook one of them off.

Edited by villanmac

10 minutes ago, andym said:

Lost our heads twice in a week against 10 men, we are incredibly naive and its been costing us all season

When it keeps happening thats on the coaching staff

More like it's on the players, it's those that are on the pitch not the staff.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

I think he got three major decisions wrong which I think is utterly bizarre cause they were apparent to me, and what the hell do I know. 

1) Davis should have been on for Wesley very early in the second half. One of the reasons Arsenal grew into that match with 10 men is because we basically were playing 10 vs 10. Wesley might have had a tap in, but his hold up play was abysmal. He did nothing to relieve pressure and get the team out when we starting sitting deep. 

2) We needed a midfield change earlier. Probably for McGinn, but it was clear we needed something.

3) He accepted the team sitting very deep for about 30 minutes of football (or probably about 50 minutes if you discount the bit I didn't see) while leading 11 vs 10. That's shocking management. Doesn't matter what excuse you find. Inexcusable. We might have been tired. Okey, then sub. We might think it was a wise tactical call, then you tell your players it isn't. It was bloody obvious for anyone who's watched football for more than 15 minutes that we would draw or lose that match from 2-1 on wards. We just let them cramp us up in our own box. Pathetic. Shocking. Piss poor. Worst match by Deano by some stretch, even if we were 2-1 up. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara
  • Like 1

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

I think you're ignoring the bigger picture..... I am usually like you but today was very very poor. Norwich and Sheffield United have poorer squads than us and they are picking up results ......

I try to look at the positives and I’m still seeing many of them. More than I saw for our last 5 seasons in the Premier League.

Bournemouth aside I still don’t think we’ve played a team that is a serious relegation contender. If after half a season we’re still in the bottom 3 I’ll accept we’re in trouble and will probably go down. 

I’m not accepting it while we’re losing by the odd goal against a top 6 team. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, andym said:

Lost our heads twice in a week against 10 men, we are incredibly naive and its been costing us all season

When it keeps happening thats on the coaching staff

Or is it a very young squad with barely any experience at this level? "Keeps happening" = twice. Interesting interpretation.

Look I'm worried about our chances of staying up, but I don't think Dean Smith is necessarily the problem. Put Tammy Abraham in this team and we'd have another 5 points IMO.

• Like 1

Â