Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

Jack has been made captain to improve his game

Unfortunately that doesn’t always work though. Sometimes captaincy can be a millstone and affect good and great players, we may have seen that a few times already i.e. ‘trying a little too hard’ comments from the reaction thread etc

edit - In Dean We Trust (IDWT)

Edited by MickeyC_UTV
Didn’t realise this was the DS thread

Anyone feel a grealish - hourihane - mcginn attacking 3 could work behind Wesley with the two holding mids?

Gets more of our better players in the team, jack and John advanced where they both like to be (Mcginn I’m particular so it seems) and hourihanes distance shooting and set plays. Let’s be honest the wingers aren’t cutting it and we are far from good enough to carry 3 players offensively (Taylor the 3rd). I’m all for sticking to a system and not having a knee jerk reaction and it is a system that has served us well, but I’d rather see hourihane and Douglas/nakamba in the team over trez/el ghazi/jota. Too big a sacrifice of talent is being made for guys who simply aren’t producing, making stupid decisions and at times not even working hard.

I hope smith isn’t too stubborn with the 4-3-3, could end up being his downfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

17 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Said it myself Demitri, I am 1,000,000% confident our squad would be hell for the championship to play against.

Then I do think once we return it would just be refinements in our squad, adding quality all over because no huge rebuild to do.

If we did go down it may not be such a bad idea for this squad we have now to have to fight for something as in a promotion win at wembley together.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm all for Smith to be our guy for a long time be it stay up or go down, simply  because he's the best we've had since John Gregory in my eyes. If Smith did end up losing his job this season, there is no 100% guarentee that a new Coach/manager could even bring any success or keep us in the premier this season.

Stick with Smith stay up or go down, I don't see any other choice to be honest.

Completely agree mate good post

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm just going to chuck this quote from Grealish in again in case people haven't seen it.

Interesting, he said this in the independent in 2018

"I'm definitely in the best form of my career. It's been my best season and I've been the most consistent. People think I'm a No 10 but my favourite position is playing on the left of a three.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/grownup-grealish-ready-to-fulfil-his-potential-at-last-36723112.html

Edited by The Inspiration

6 hours ago, KHV said:

Jack is not a not a number 8

The fact that he thinks he is a number 8 is fairly alarming. He doesn't posses all of the tools to be a number 8

so what is he?

4 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Interesting, he said this in the independent in 2018

"I'm definitely in the best form of my career. It's been my best season and I've been the most consistent. People think I'm a No 10 but my favourite position is playing on the left of a three.”

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/grownup-grealish-ready-to-fulfil-his-potential-at-last-36723112.html

30 minutes ago, TRO said:

so what is he?

Doesn't seem he knows himself.... lol

20 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Anyone feel a grealish - hourihane - mcginn attacking 3 could work behind Wesley with the two holding mids?

Gets more of our better players in the team, jack and John advanced where they both like to be (Mcginn I’m particular so it seems) and hourihanes distance shooting and set plays. Let’s be honest the wingers aren’t cutting it and we are far from good enough to carry 3 players offensively (Taylor the 3rd). I’m all for sticking to a system and not having a knee jerk reaction and it is a system that has served us well, but I’d rather see hourihane and Douglas/nakamba in the team over trez/el ghazi/jota. Too big a sacrifice of talent is being made for guys who simply aren’t producing, making stupid decisions and at times not even working hard.

I hope smith isn’t too stubborn with the 4-3-3, could end up being his downfall.

You can straight up swap those players and still keep the 4-3-3 formation. 

If he likes the left of a 3, then we coudl play a 4-2-3-1, narrow 3 and get width from the fullbacks...

--------------------------------- Wes -----------------------------------

-------Gresford-Lansbury/Hourihane-McGinn--------

--------------------- Luiz --------- Marvelous --------------------

Targett ----------- Mings ----- Engels ----------- Guilbert

------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

• Like 2

22 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

Sorry hadn't seen this, yes I think it's an idea, luiz can offer something coming forwards, mcginn and grealish and the third could swap around a lot, it'd need the full backs to run a marathon every week but I quite like it....

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The Inspiration said:

I've been saying Jack n John behind Wes myself and 3 other midfielders behind Jack and John, so yeah a 4-3-2-1 I'd like to see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, romavillan said:

If he likes the left of a 3, then we coudl play a 4-2-3-1, narrow 3 and get width from the fullbacks...

--------------------------------- Wes -----------------------------------

-------Gresford-Lansbury/Hourihane-McGinn--------

--------------------- Luiz --------- Marvelous --------------------

Targett ----------- Mings ----- Engels ----------- Guilbert

------------------------------- Heaton ---------------------------------

None of us can be sure.....but the wings are not working.......worth a try.

If the West Ham game proved anything, it's that McGinn, Grealish and Nakamba should be the midfield three. Experimentation should take place up top in order to find something that works but our midfield that game was a lot better than it had been all season IMO. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, lexicon said:

If the West Ham game proved anything, it's that McGinn, Grealish and Nakamba should be the midfield three. Experimentation should take place up top in order to find something that works but our midfield that game was a lot better than it had been all season IMO. 

Agree, but I think one of those MFs needs to play more advanced if we are going to score goals. Would sacrifice a winger to play a 10

if he wants to be real top level manager one day rather than one just happy to finish 17th he really needs to learn about game management and use of subs at key times.

Seems to come from MON school of making one sub at 70th minute mark and the remaining 10 must remain on the pitch at all costs to try to finish the job.

Terrible use of subs all season imo at key stages of the matches.

• Like 1

Â