Dean Smith

Demitri_C

12 minutes ago, useless said:

We don't need to nor will Smith start changing formations. That will only make things worse, we've only played five games, players, many of them new to the country, need more time to settle and gel with each other. Chopping and changing is the last thing we need.

Tweeking and adjusting minor details is still a sensible approach thou.

Well I have a next level appreciation of the fact that we won't be switching to three at the back, not after we signed three wingers in the summer, Targett doesn't perform well as a wing-back, and Smith has never played it in his career. We might make minor tweaks here and there though, might have to.

• Thanks 1

Our performances are fine for where we are and need to be, it's just the lack of goals that are worrying me. We create the chances just fine, we need our finishers/attackers to wake the **** up more. Do that and we will be absolutely fine.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, useless said:

If things carry on as they are he'll be fighting for his job.

For me he's fine barring if an utter complete downward trajectory in performances happens. If he doesnt add a striker in Jan and we still struggle for goals then he will have questions to answer for sure.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 3

I was kind of joking when I wrote that, but then thought there might be an element of truth to it. But think we'll do much better over the next five games than we have over the first, so things should be fine.

2 hours ago, useless said:

I was kind of joking when I wrote that, but then thought there might be an element of truth to it. But think we'll do much better over the next five games than we have over the first, so things should be fine.

Unless we go on a 10-15 losing or can't win a game run I don't think we would sack him. Even if we went down.

I think Smith would comfortably bring us back up so we should stick with him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Kodjia being out for so long really messed us up. For all his faults, he's someone who can create a chance out of nothing and could have really given us a spark off the bench or given Wes some relief.

I agree Wes needs some relief but I honestly do not think Kodjia will offer anything in this league. Too slow and too lightweight. 

Hopefully im wrong. 

• Like 1

How little we are creating at the moment is very similar to how we were playing jan/Feb. Yes it’s a tougher league, but we turned it around before and we can again. I’m sure Smith and his staff are busting a gut to make improvements. 

I’d like us to play slightly higher up the pitch, starting from the defensive line. 

I’d like us to have more possession, we were very careless with the ball yesterday. 

I’d like smith to be more proactive with the subs, he waiting far too long to make a change yesterday. 

Finally id like a different option on the bench. Yesterday, we had Lansbury, Hourihane and Luiz on the bench. You are never going to change all 3 midfielders, surely there is a speedy winger from the youth team we could add to the bench, he may (whoever it may be) may not be ready but it’s at least a different option, and even a ten minute cameo they’d bust a gut for the team 

• Like 1

I'm actually not worried with how we've been playing.

It'll take time to get things right with new players in nearly every position and Dean has shown that he can do that.

I think we'll continue to struggle to pick up a lot of points for a while and we'll only get better with time.

Engels and Mings look very solid together. Then we have Targett to replace Taylor and Guilbert is raw but promising.

Wesley will take time to adjust, he's only 22 but he'll get better and better though I doubt he'll be a massive goalscorer.

It's going to take time but we'll get better eventually - this season is always going to be mainly about staying up in a very tough division.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How little we are creating at the moment is very similar to how we were playing jan/Feb. Yes it’s a tougher league, but we turned it around before and we can again. I’m sure Smith and his staff are busting a gut to make improvements. 

I’d like us to play slightly higher up the pitch, starting from the defensive line. 

I’d like us to have more possession, we were very careless with the ball yesterday. 

I’d like smith to be more proactive with the subs, he waiting far too long to make a change yesterday. 

Finally id like a different option on the bench. Yesterday, we had Lansbury, Hourihane and Luiz on the bench. You are never going to change all 3 midfielders, surely there is a speedy winger from the youth team we could add to the bench, he may (whoever it may be) may not be ready but it’s at least a different option, and even a ten minute cameo they’d bust a gut for the team 

Agreed, I was pretty much forced to watch Liverpool, Man U, and Man City's, Tottenhams, and Arsenals first 3 or 4 games. (Egyptian friends, what to do).

Liverpool stood out to me, because I really thought they were the least cohesive, or impressive, of the Title "Contenders" i had watched.

However, their  attacking/defensive press is always relentless.

They always manage to crack teams, and they can obviously defend!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Kodjia being out for so long really messed us up. For all his faults, he's someone who can create a chance out of nothing and could have really given us a spark off the bench or given Wes some relief.

Yes Kodjia of old would of created something out of nothing, not the Kodjia today, he's done I think and will be off soon I think.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Unless we go on a 10-15 losing or can't win a game run I don't think we would sack him. Even if we went down.

I think Smith would comfortably bring us back up so we should stick with him

Said it myself Demitri, I am 1,000,000% confident our squad would be hell for the championship to play against.

Then I do think once we return it would just be refinements in our squad, adding quality all over because no huge rebuild to do.

If we did go down it may not be such a bad idea for this squad we have now to have to fight for something as in a promotion win at wembley together.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm all for Smith to be our guy for a long time be it stay up or go down, simply  because he's the best we've had since John Gregory in my eyes. If Smith did end up losing his job this season, there is no 100% guarentee that a new Coach/manager could even bring any success or keep us in the premier this season.

Stick with Smith stay up or go down, I don't see any other choice to be honest.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Said it myself Demitri, I am 1,000,000% confident our squad would be hell for the championship to play against.

Then I do think once we return it would just be refinements in our squad, adding quality all over because no huge rebuild to do.

If we did go down it may not be such a bad idea for this squad we have now to have to fight for something as in a promotion win at wembley together.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that, but I'm all for Smith to be our guy for a long time be it stay up or go down, simply  because he's the best we've had since John Gregory in my eyes. If Smith did end up losing his job this season, there is no 100% guarentee that a new Coach/manager could even bring any success or keep us in the premier this season.

Stick with Smith stay up or go down, I don't see any other choice to be honest.

Agree with not sacking Smith, and that we would tear up the Championship... but relegation means losing Grealish and Mings, and probably Engels and McGinn (for tidy profits of course, but still). It would set our progress back two years. Avoiding relegation this season would be far better for these lads.

I think currently our problems are:

1) Taylor is ineffective going forward, need targett to help give us a threat down the left.

2) Grealish playing too deep, the midfield isn't getting up behind Wesley enough, or deep runs in to the box enough to create threat.

3) the midfield generally not supporting Wesley effectively.

4) number 3 could be fixed a bit if the wide players came in field a bit more to support and provide a goal threat, that would be fine with Guilbert on the right overlapping to create width on the right, but it won't work on the left currently because Taylor is terrible going forward, this would be helped by number 1, bringing targett in

We may have one of the best defences currently, but survival will likely be down to whether we can score enough goals, not whether we concede less, granted both are ideal together, but we need to score goals.

I wonder if a 4 2 3 1 would be better, nakamba and Luiz as DM where one can be box to box, the AM 3 of trez, Grealish and Mcginn that can be more narrow or create width as required, would definitely require Guilbert and targett to create width and actually help in the attacking phases.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree Wes needs some relief but I honestly do not think Kodjia will offer anything in this league. Too slow and too lightweight. 

Hopefully im wrong. 

hopefully he's fit soon so we can prove or disprove this theory. the same goes for targett. unfortunately our weakest players are forced into the starting 11 due to lack of cover.

kodj has not kicked a ball in the premiership before. whenever he played last year he came off the bench and chucked on the wing, so it's not surprising that we've not seen the best of him in a while

i'm willing to give targett another chance. i thought he looked poor pre season, poor vs crewe, and his reviews from southampton fans weren't exactly glowing but it would be unfair to write him off based on that

Â