Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I’m currently ambivalent toward Smith. I appreciate the need for Smith to assemble his own squad. The squad is very imbalanced. However, that privilege needs to be earnt. The club need to be ruthless in this regard.

If I was in charge I would be considering what options are available at the end of the season, to carry out the essential rebuild needed. Next season feels pivotal; kick on and build a squad capable of mounting a serious challenge or become mediocre Championship plodders. I would be essentially re-interviewing Smith for the head coach position, analysing his January transfers and team performances this season whilst quizzing his plans for next.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

To quote "nothing in the game" he's not seeing what I see cus west brom had more than enough possession to win the game in the first half , second half they just sat back and let us have the ball. 

If he's not seeing this then I'm worried. 

1 minute ago, hippo said:

The commitment was there IMO - Its the lack of organisation which kills us.

I didn't see much commitment, with a handful of exceptions. I saw a lot of players strolling around like we were 3 or 4 up, without any sense of urgency. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tinker said:

To quote "nothing in the game" he's not seeing what I see cus west brom had more than enough possession to win the game in the first half , second half they just sat back and let us have the ball. 

If he's not seeing this then I'm worried. 

Said similar in the last 3 games which is a worry - we were lucky to a single point from those games yet  all 3 he felt there was little between the teams . 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

I’m currently ambivalent toward Smith. I appreciate the need for Smith to assemble his own squad. The squad is very imbalanced. However, that privilege needs to be earnt. The club need to be ruthless in this regard.

If I was in charge I would be considering what options are available at the end of the season, to carry out the essential rebuild needed. Next season feels pivotal; kick on and build a squad capable of mounting a serious challenge or become mediocre Championship plodders. I would be essentially re-interviewing Smith for the head coach position, analysing his January transfers and team performances this season whilst quizzing his plans for next.

Thats pretty much sacking him though. If has conversations with susso and purslow in which it is indicated they are doubting him, that makes his job even harder. The phrase back me or sack me comes to mind.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Thats pretty much sacking him though. If has conversations with susso and purslow in which it is indicated they are doubting him, that makes his job even harder. The phrase back me or sack me comes to mind.

So does the phrase “a manager is judged on results “

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You have to wonder if being a Villa fan, he would actually walk if he felt he was doing more harm than good.

Sad times all round.

I honestly believe he would JV. But, if he looks at that bunch and honestly thinks they are beyond any other manager, why go then? 

I guess this all comes down to what funds will be available close season. If he will be expected to sell Grealish and go into next season having spent hardly anything on assembling a new match day squad, well, what will that say of the owners' ambitions? In fact, did they realise the depth of the crisis and think that, going forward, Smith would be ideal for the job of building up from scratch with very little money to spend, as he did at Brentford?

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

In fairness, Bruce had a bunch of promotions to his name and he still turned out to be a failure here.

So reaching a play off final is a failure?

I expect you set the same bar to Smith next season then, that's only fair? If we achieve less than playoff final next season he will be a failure. Playoff final is bare minimum requirement for DS to keep his job next season.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

I expect you hold the same expectations to Smith next season then, that's only fair? If we get anything less than playoff final next season he will be a failure.

Again, if he’s spent as much on transfers and wages as Bruce did, then yep.

21 minutes ago, hippo said:

Funny you should say that - Just had a text from my Baggies mate who was at the game, Reckons he saw Smith close to tears, if not in tears after the game.

I've said it from day 1. The club and occasion are too big for DS and Kelly and I had my reservations that if it ever went tits up would he be able to cope with the pressure and turn things around? I don't think he can.

Villa Park can be very unforgiving.

Fair play to the man for giving it a go and I won't resort to personal insults ever towards him as he is one of us deep down.

I do feel for him but sadly sentimental feelings don't win us results.

8 minutes ago, villarocker said:

I honestly believe he would JV. But, if he looks at that bunch and honestly thinks they are beyond any other manager, why go then? 

I guess this all comes down to what funds will be available close season. If he will be expected to sell Grealish and go into next season having spent hardly anything on assembling a new match day squad, well, what will that say of the owners' ambitions? In fact, did they realise the depth of the crisis and think that, going forward, Smith would be ideal for the job of building up from scratch with very little money to spend, as he did at Brentford?

I think he was the best they could reasonably get at short notice- thats the problem with changing manager mid season - but the way things are we will probably being doing precisely that next October.

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Might that be because we don’t have a plan B? 

Maybe because our squad is terrible? 

Do you think if we sacked Smith tomorrow, the next manager would have a ‘Plan B’?

Well sending out the same players with the same instruction and with the same formation isn't really managing is it

7 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Again, if he’s spent as much on transfers and wages as Bruce did, then yep.

Well the defence now is all his - and by championship standards is pretty expensive. Individually they don't look bad - but organisation wise they looked poor...

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I expect you set the same bar to Smith next season then, that's only fair? If we achieve less than playoff final next season he will be a failure. Playoff final is bare minimum requirement for DS to keep his job next season.

If we do keep Smith and he gets a similar amount of money as Bruce had during his time here, yes I absolutely would expect promotion by the play-offs.

And no, Bruce did not do a "respectable" job. He was mediocre at the very most.

• Like 1

What monumental f*** up has Smith made to turn us from the team that won 3-0 away at Derby & Boro and beat the Albion on their own patch (except for a cheating player and incompetent officials) into the absolute turd of a Steve Brucesque team we are now (and don't put it all on the absence of Grealish as it won't wash)?

• Like 2

Â