Dean Smith

Demitri_C

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think Dean made a redeeming action.....playing Jacob Ramsey.

I am not going to pretend everything was perfect, but he showed balls and an element of composure....He could have actually scored.....but the bit for me was when he went up and challenged an aerial ball with Livermore, who was built like a power lifter.

The crowd was clearly behind the kid.....and these kids need games in the first team to learn the physicality.......The Villa crowd will applaud effort and passion in kids, it will unify us all.....experience is not completely working....lets give some of them their wings, it can't be any worse.

hmmm......sorry but it looked like an act of desparation ...." look Im building for the future"

O'Hare not ready....but Ramsey is ? ....what about Doyle Hayes ...

• Like 1

Just now, KHV said:

Are you still living in 1982?

We are in terms of fanbase, stadium, training fasilities, being the biggest club in Englads 2nd largest city.

We will always be a big club, we just aren't a very successful club anymore.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

hmmm......sorry but it looked like an act of desparation ...." look Im building for the future"

More like we have no pot to piss in for 2019/20 so strap yourselves in for a whole world of trouble

3 minutes ago, hippo said:

I think it was more of an attempt to get the angry fans back on his side.

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i **** properly hate that statement

that in my mind is a massive part of our players problems, the illusion that we're a big club

I would say were a big club but with a very bad squad.

Says something when the only players who were noticed again were ones that Smith has bought in.

Poor Tammy couldn't get into the game the midfield is atrocious to the point he was tracking the ball and playing as a midfielder.

I think it's midfield the problem, I see it in games as I'm sure we all do, we don't have enough speed, accuracy, heart, guts and pride. I mean I felt things changed to a more high tempo game when Ramsey was bought on, that tells me what some of a problem was, not enough pace in alot of position that require it, we need the fastest.

But back to your bit, I feel that we must move on from the players who have been with us for a long time, because they do not deserve our club.

Look at Barry he's 35 is he and he played well and caused us some problems, did my head in it did, again why did we let him go and who signed off on his sale??

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well they are not here are they?

2 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I would say were a big club but with a very bad squad.

Says something when the only players who were noticed again were ones that Smith has bought in.

Poor Tammy couldn't get into the game the midfield is atrocious to the point he was tracking the ball and playing as a midfielder.

I think it's midfield the problem, I see it in games as I'm sure we all do, we don't have enough speed, accuracy, heart, guts and pride. I mean I felt things changed to a more high tempo game when Ramsey was bought on, that tells me what some of a problem was, not enough pace in alot of position that require it, we need the fastest.

But back to your bit, I feel that we must move on from the players who have been with us for a long time, because they do not deserve our club.

Look at Barry he's 35 is he and he played well and caused us some problems, did my head in it did, again why did we let him go and who signed off on his sale??

There are problems in virtually every area bar Tammy ,  Kalinic has had a shaky start , the full backs are woeful and central defence a mess - midfield is non existent and our wingers are rarely in the game - add to that a weak bench and it’s a pretty shambolic situation . 

• Thanks 1

A big issue we have within the squad (aswell as a lack of quality) is a lack of leaders. Last season Snodgrass and Terry helped massively with that so i honestly believe that even with his own squad Bruce wouldn't have been doing any better with this bunch this season so I don't think it's fair to measure Smith against last seasons 5th place finish. 

The style of football has changed significantly over the last few months aswell, from a possession based build up we seem to have reverted to the same sort of football we saw under Bruce. Now there is 2 or 3 on here that think that's down to Smith not being up to the job, I disagree. I think after the injuries to Axel and Jack (before which both the style and results were impressive) he has realised that his style doesn't suit the players currently available to him so has reverted to a more direct style. 

Things aren't going well but I'm really not sure what changes can be made. People are bemoaning the fact that he is sticking with a formula that isn't working but there aren't many options available to him, and if anyone suggests bringing in the kids I'd love them to also tell me what kids they are talking about, because I'd hazard a guess that those calling for it have probably never seen any of these kids play.

It's not great but I trust him to rebuild the squad in the summer

Just now, av1 said:

A big issue we have within the squad (aswell as a lack of quality) is a lack of leaders. Last season Snodgrass and Terry helped massively with that so i honestly believe that even with his own squad Bruce wouldn't have been doing any better with this bunch this season so I don't think it's fair to measure Smith against last seasons 5th place finish. 

The style of football has changed significantly over the last few months aswell, from a possession based build up we seem to have reverted to the same sort of football we saw under Bruce. Now there is 2 or 3 on here that think that's down to Smith not being up to the job, I disagree. I think after the injuries to Axel and Jack (before which both the style and results were impressive) he has realised that his style doesn't suit the players currently available to him so has reverted to a more direct style. 

Things aren't going well but I'm really not sure what changes can be made. People are bemoaning the fact that he is sticking with a formula that isn't working but there aren't many options available to him, and if anyone suggests bringing in the kids I'd love them to also tell me what kids they are talking about, because I'd hazard a guess that those calling for it have probably never seen any of these kids play.

It's not great but I trust him to rebuild the squad in the summer

Based on what? 

Just now, KHV said:

Based on what? 

This is the key point. Of all the people backing Smith to rebuild what exactly are you basing this on? Surely we would be better employing somebody with a track record of actually doing this rather than backing a bloke simply because his dad used to be a steward!

5 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

This is the key point. Of all the people backing Smith to rebuild what exactly are you basing this on? Surely we would be better employing somebody with a track record of actually doing this rather than backing a bloke simply because his dad used to be a steward!

I fully trust him. 

I think he’ll do a great job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

Based on what? 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Based on the fact that in his first summer at Brentford he signed 14 players, all of whom are either currently still performing in the Brentford 11 or have been sold for massive profit. 

But hey, let's forget about that and pretend our board employed him because his dad was a steward. 

Just now, M_Afro said:

Based on what though? I want him to do well but there is no evidence that he will

There isn’t, no. 

There was evidence that Bruce would do well (4 promotions), look how that ended up.

I’m happy to give him a chance based on the teams he built at Brentford.

And before you say ‘we’re Aston Villa’ blah blah - we’re a mid table championship club. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Smith in! ❤️

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Based on the fact that in his first summer at Brentford he signed 14 players, all of whom are either currently still performing in the Brentford 11 or have been sold for massive profit. 

But hey, let's forget about that and pretend our board employed him because his dad was a steward. 

You are missing the point. Do you think managing Brentford is similar to managing Villa? Watch his first few press conferences and then watch his last few. That is what managing Villa is about. It’s comparing chalk and cheese.

Let’s also not forget that Brentford have never achieved anything, have fans that expect nothing and are thrilled, quite rightly, with finishing 10th. Chalk and cheese! 

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Based on what though? I want him to do well but there is no evidence that he will

Rather than lisening to how a Aston Villa quantifies his performance at Brentford and Walsall I'd rather listen to how fans of Brentford and Walsall quantify it. All of whom think he did a great job. 

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

There isn’t, no. 

There was evidence that Bruce would do well (4 promotions), look how that ended up.

I’m happy to give him a chance based on the teams he built at Brentford.

And before you say ‘we’re Aston Villa’ blah blah - we’re a mid table championship club. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Smith in! ❤️

We aren’t a mid table championship club though. We are a mid table championship team. Huge difference in my view. Smith very much out 😂

28 minutes ago, KHV said:

Are you still living in 1982?

Nope, just a reality. The infrastructure and scope is huge. Although granted we’ve fallen back a bit in the last ten years. We should never settle for mediocrity because if we do mediocrity will become acceptable. It should be the ambition of owners & managers to take us to the top of the English game, anything else is a waste of time. 

Â