Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Rather than lisening to how a Aston Villa quantifies his performance at Brentford and Walsall I'd rather listen to how fans of Brentford and Walsall quantify it. All of whom think he did a great job. 

Not doing a great job at a massive club though is he? That’s sort of the point

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

@markavfc40 still think we will finish above Blose? =( I highlighted this week's ago when the I could see the cracks and its got even worse than I predicted. I really do think we could finish as low as 15th of this pathetic form continues

Smith's done awful job so far I don't think anyone can deny that. It's been Utter shit. 

Given the fact that all teams down to 16th have games in hand on us, and can go above us, I'd say 15th isn't such a wild guess. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if we finished as low as 18th! 

I think we'll lose and Small Heath too. Whether they finish above us will probably come down to points deductions. 

I think we just need to see how bad this gets because, personally, I'm convinced we haven't seen the worst of it yet. We probably won't see Hutton, Taylor, Mings, Hause, Elmohamady, Whelan, Jedinak, Adomah, El Ghazi, Abraham and Grealish after this season. Yet, we will more than likely rely on at least 6 or 7 of them to play regularly for us from now until the end of the season. Now, that's where our problems start! 

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

You are missing the point. 

No, you're missing the point, as evidenced by your very next sentence.

2 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Let’s also not forget that Brentford have never achieved anything, have fans that expect nothing and are thrilled, quite rightly, with finishing 10th. Chalk and cheese! 

You say that "quite rightly" Brentford are thrilled with finishing 10th, so the fact Smith took them there is an achievement no?

Just now, M_Afro said:

We aren’t a mid table championship club though. We are a mid table championship team. Huge difference in my view. Smith very much out 😂

Oh yes, I forgot we are so superior to every club in this league.

We won the European Cup in 1982 don’t you know. 

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Based on the fact that in his first summer at Brentford he signed 14 players, all of whom are either currently still performing in the Brentford 11 or have been sold for massive profit. 

But hey, let's forget about that and pretend our board employed him because his dad was a steward. 

Brentford who he never got any higher than before he arrived and constantly finish mid table......

I'd like to think we are better than that, however if we are accepting finally that we are a bag of shit and are happy to bumble about in mid table as a selling club then bingo we have our man.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, av1 said:

No, you're missing the point, as evidenced by your very next sentence.

You say that "quite rightly" Brentford are thrilled with finishing 10th, so the fact Smith took them there is an achievement no?

It is. You’re right. Point is they are different jobs. People think that if you achieve better than expectations at a small club that you will automatically transfer that to a bigger club. The jobs and pressures are completely different. There are loads of managers who have done great things down the pyramid whom have stepped up and fallen flat on their face. I feel, based on the evidence of about half a season, that Dean is just another of those unfortunately 

4 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

Nope, just a reality. The infrastructure and scope is huge. Although granted we’ve fallen back a bit in the last ten years. We should never settle for mediocrity because if we do mediocrity will become acceptable. It should be the ambition of owners & managers to take us to the top of the English game, anything else is a waste of time. 

If that's the ambition of the owners then Dean Smith was never the answer 

3 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Not doing a great job at a massive club though is he? That’s sort of the point

Just now, KHV said:

Brentford who he never got any higher than before he arrived and constantly finish mid table......

I'd like to think we are better than that, however if we are accepting finally that we are a bag of shit and are happy to bumble about in mid table as a selling club then bingo we have our man.

This is fecking hard work. 

Where do you both think we should be then? Because I would I happily swap our squad with those of Leeds, WBA, Sheffield UTD, Norwich and probably Derby. 

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We won the European Cup in 1982 don’t you know. 

Ha ha. Not the point I was trying to make. History and expectation do play a massive part though as does the fact that more people turned up at B6 today than turn up at Brentford all season. That is today not 1982.

12 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

You are missing the point. Do you think managing Brentford is similar to managing Villa? Watch his first few press conferences and then watch his last few. That is what managing Villa is about. It’s comparing chalk and cheese.

Let’s also not forget that Brentford have never achieved anything, have fans that expect nothing and are thrilled, quite rightly, with finishing 10th. Chalk and cheese! 

They finished 5th in the championship under Warburton, they actually went backwards under Smith. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, av1 said:

Where do you both think we should be then? Because I would I happily swap our squad with those of Leeds, WBA, Sheffield UTD, Norwich and probably Derby. 

Top six minimum. This squad of players should be up there and be competing with these sides

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

We won the European Cup in 1982 don’t you know

I wonder how  @M_Afro would have reacted to the appointment of Tony Barton at the time given he had never managed before 😋

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

Leeds, Shef U, Norwich and Derby all finished below us last year. Not that much has changed in terms of personal. We should be doing better than we are. Top 6 definitely. Point is what we are doing now is pretty irrelevant. It’s about having a manager who can deal with the whole situation. Look at/listen to Dean when he first arrived and compare it to now. He is not coping. The results are almost irrelevant. He looks totally out of his depth.

• Like 1

Managing Aston Villa is not the same as managing Brentford and Walsall.

We won't accept mid table here, it's nowhere near good enough. There are different expectations and demands here that yo won't see at clubs like Brentford and Walsall. Lambert didn't handle the pressure and nor will Smith, i predict.

Edited by villalad21

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I wonder how  @M_Afro would have reacted to the appointment of Tony Barton at the time given he had never managed before 😋

I don’t Know too much about it. It worked out in the short term. It does seem to be different . He took over a team that was doing well. Smith has taken over a team in freefall

Our style of play was completely destroyed by the injuries of Tuanzebe (a defender who was calm and excellent on the ball) and Grealish (who took away two or three of the oppositions players allowing space for the wingers and McGinn/Hourihane). Without them we’ve been woeful.

Smith needs to find a way to cope without them. His current philosophy just isn’t working with this set of players, they just aren’t good enough. I get the argument he shouldn’t change for the players, but it’s heaping more and more pressure on him by serving up uninspiring, insipid performances. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

Leeds, Shef U, Norwich and Derby all finished below us last year. Not that much has changed in terms of personal. We should be doing better than we are. Top 6 definitely. 

Our squad has got worse, theirs have better, apart from that I guess you're right. 

6 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

I don’t Know too much about it. It worked out in the short term. It does seem to be different . He took over a team that was doing well. Smith has taken over a team in freefall

So you acknowledge that Smith has taken over a team in freefall yet believe a top 6 finish should be a minimum requirement? 

You're making no sense at all. 

4 minutes ago, Hanky said:

Our style of play was completely destroyed by the injuries of Tuanzebe (a defender who was calm and excellent on the ball) and Grealish (who took away two or three of the oppositions players allowing space for the wingers and McGinn/Hourihane). Without them we’ve been woeful.

Mings is calm and exellent on the ball as well. We are still complete shambles.

Â