Dean Smith

Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

Tammy was far to deep first half , allowing most of their defence to push up into our half. 

Hutton showed some real heart in this game , he's nowhere near out least affective player .

Spot on.

He has tried and even at 34/35 he still busts a gut and does give a shit about the cause believe it or not.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Fair comments but I think we need to see some sign of improvement in the remainder of the season , we cannot have the next 13 games similar to the last 13 games 

I personally don't think it will get any better anytime soon. Next week we will have to choose 3 from Whelan, Hourihane, Jedinak and perhaps Bjarnason in the middle of the park. We will therefore lack the energy that Smiths way of playing is so reliant on.

With what he has at his disposal I'd have no issue with him going 4-4-2 and pretty much bypassing the middle of the park and going more back to front but that just isn't his way and he is all about players adapting to his system rather than him adapting to the players. Trouble is we are heavily reliant on players 30+ too set in their ways to change and perhaps even physically not able to play at the intensity his system requires.

None of us can guarantee that with a summer and his own squad and pre season Smith will do massively better. I do though think we have seen what could well be possible in his first two months here and he at least deserves the chance to be judged when he has a squad made up of a majority of players that can play his way.

• Like 2

@markavfc40 still think we will finish above Blose? =( I highlighted this week's ago when the I could see the cracks and its got even worse than I predicted. I really do think we could finish as low as 15th of this pathetic form continues

Smith's done awful job so far I don't think anyone can deny that. It's been Utter shit. 

22 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I agree with all three of these points.

I don't think we have the options in the squad to address them.

I think Dean made a redeeming action.....playing Jacob Ramsey.

I am not going to pretend everything was perfect, but he showed balls and an element of composure....He could have actually scored.....but the bit for me was when he went up and challenged an aerial ball with Livermore, who was built like a power lifter.

The crowd was clearly behind the kid.....and these kids need games in the first team to learn the physicality.......The Villa crowd will applaud effort and passion in kids, it will unify us all.....experience is not completely working....lets give some of them their wings, it can't be any worse.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I appreciate what you’re saying Mark and I don’t really disagree, but is there a target for the remainder of the season that you yourself have for Smith or are you just of the mindset that he is the man that needs to lead us into next season regardless.

I appreciate I’m asking for something tangible and that’s not really your point. But I think it’s fair to say that *silly example warning* if we lost the next 13 games and finished 20th (say) there wouldn’t be many in the pro Smith camp. Like I say, silly example but you get my point. 

Is there a final league position which we have to achieve or a minimum amount of wins/performances where you feel comfortable with Smith being the manager next season? 

You look at our run in now and it will be tough. We now have a squad lacking confidence, many of whom know they won't be here next season and the squad as a whole have little to play for as we are not getting into the play offs.

We also now have the only two players who can play in the middle of the park at the high intensity Smith likes to play out for the next 2 games.

I don't know what the target is for the rest of the season and I don't really know how much it matters. The team won't resemble anything like what it does now at the start of next season regardless of who the manager is.

When Smith came in most of us were all in favour of him because of the style of football he played. Because he pressed opposing sides high up the pitch, because he played on the front foot attacking football and because he was a progressive manager and still looking to learn. Does the fact we have now found out that we simply don't have the squad to consistently play the way Smith wants to play mean we get rid of him or does it mean that we rebuild over the summer and bring in players that can play his way and allow him a pre season to implement his methods. 

I accept we won't just be able to completely write off the next 3 months and will need to get some results but personally I now think if Smith was the man 4 months ago then he will still be the man come the end of the season and lets give him the summer and see what he can do next season with players who can play his way.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I personally don't think it will get any better anytime soon. Next week we will have to choose 3 from Whelan, Hourihane, Jedinak and perhaps Bjarnason in the middle of the park. We will therefore lack the energy that Smiths way of playing is so reliant on.

With what he has at his disposal I'd have no issue with him going 4-4-2 and pretty much bypassing the middle of the park and going more back to front but that just isn't his way and he is all about players adapting to his system rather than him adapting to the players. Trouble is we are heavily reliant on players 30+ too set in their ways to change and perhaps even physically not able to play at the intensity his system requires.

None of us can guarantee that with a summer and his own squad and pre season Smith will do massively better. I do though think we have seen what could well be possible in his first two months here and he at least deserves the chance to be judged when he has a squad made up of a majority of players that can play his way.

I don't think it will be either Mark.

but just let me remind you that Hourihane is not over 30 amd is one of the main issues. Taylor is another one.

i think you have a point though with reference to age......except Barry at 37/8 ran the show, today.

Its a myriad of factors Mark.....but the balance ain't right.

I would also remind you that Deans initial reaction to our squad on joining was to wax lyrical about the quality....almost intimating it was better than the one he left.

seems like his first reaction was maybe premature.

Edited by TRO

I wonder how much truth there is in the whispers that Smith has told a bunch of players they have no future with Villa beyond the summer?

If so, that might explain in part the apparent change in attitude of a lot of our players and feed directly into our loss of form.

It would be a massive misjudgement in my view and raise questions about his ability to manage players at the level we need.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

@markavfc40 still think we will finish above Blose? =( I highlighted this week's ago when the I could see the cracks and its got even worse than I predicted. I really do think we could finish as low as 15th of this pathetic form continues

Smith's done awful job so far I don't think anyone can deny that. It's been Utter shit. 

Possibly not Dem and you may well have been right. In the grand scheme of things though as much as I'll be pissed off, as many of us will be, it matters little.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't think it will be either Mark.

but just let me remind you that Hourihane is not over 30 amd is one of the main issues. Taylor is another one.

i think you have a point though with age......except Barry at 37/8 ran the show, today.

Its a myriad of factors Mark.....but the balance ain't right.

Taylor is 30 but that is splitting hairs. As for Connor no he isn't 30 but whilst I think he has the energy he simply doesn't have the bottle to get stuck in and put himself in the face of the opposition. He is also way too safe and too much about sideways and backwards. I love McGinn as he plays on the front foot and his first movement is forward. Connor does the opposite.

You are right about Barry but Albion don't play the way Smith wants his teams to play. He was great today though and good to see he got a good reception when he went off.

The balance isn't right but that is what Smith inherited and 4 months and one window was never going to fix it. He at least deserves the chance to though.

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I wonder how much truth there is in the whispers that Smith has told a bunch of players they have no future with Villa beyond the summer?

If so, that might explain in part the apparent change in attitude of a lot of our players and feed directly into our loss of form.

It would be a massive misjudgement in my view and raise questions about his ability to manage players at the level we need.

Quite a few are out of contract but those others who may have been told they are not part of the plans can have no complaints - far too many freeloaders at the club .

I have no problem with him telling players they will not be part of our future plans , although I’m concerned some of the players who we could be giving a run in the team for experience are out on loan at other clubs , meaning we are stuck with a lot of couldn’t care less players seeing out their remaining months at the club 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

i **** properly hate that statement

that in my mind is a massive part of our players problems, the illusion that we're a big club

We are a big club, don’t start accepting less. Our standards as a fan base maybe unrealistic currently but that’s what makes every person that walks through the door in a professional capacity at VP know that you must perform. I’ve seen a lot of self loathing on twitter about getting on at Hourihane from out fans. There’s 34k attendance and sold out away allocation weekly despite a decade of utter shite. 

Two best managers in the English football in my life time are Fergue and Pep, both fiercely demanding. Do you think Fergie looked at The unbeatable Wenger side and said “oh best off aiming for second next year” or Pep talks to his City side about emulating United, I bet you the goal is to surpas”. High ambitions & incentives plus a rocket is needed by fans & managers  It’s not pretty and it may make a few delicate souls might fall away from a battering from it the strong survive and thrive. If Conor is that mentally weak that fans voicing displeasure at his performance causes him to play even worse then we’re best of rid because he’s not up to it. 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Quite a few are out of contract but those others who may have been told they are not part of the plans can have no complaints - far too many freeloaders at the club .

I have no problem with him telling players they will not be part of our future plans , although I’m concerned some of the players who we could be giving a run in the team for experience are out on loan at other clubs , meaning we are stuck with a lot of couldn’t care less players seeing out their remaining months at the club 

Yes, sorry, had meant to say that was another part of the big misjudgement.

I think you only deliberately demotivate your current workforce if you have given up on achieving anything with them. And then you need some keen replacements to have a shot at doing better.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 3

22 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

Still back him.

Ive seen some remarkably hilarious anger tweets from our fans.

One suggesting that Steve Bruce should be our DOF.

I was that confused I pressed all of the four action on the right and I still don't know which one to go for with this post lol.

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If that's the case then he needs to be sacked. He is paid to be a manager not a cockwomble. In what way could he possibly say that, it's not as if he has had a stellar career himself. A tinpot player and a no mark manager in terms of success. 

17 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If he actually said that, that is really stupid of him.

2 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

We are a big club, don’t start accepting less. Our standards as a fan base maybe unrealistic currently but that’s what makes every person that walks through the door in a professional capacity at VP know that you must perform. I’ve seen a lot of self loathing on twitter about getting on at Hourihane from out fans. There’s 34k attendance and sold out away allocation weekly despite a decade of utter shite. 

Two best managers in the English football in my life time are Fergue and Pep, both fiercely demanding. Do you think Fergie looked at The unbeatable Wenger side and said “oh best off aiming for second next year” or Pep talks to his City side about emulating United, I bet you the goal is to surpas”. High ambitions & incentives plus a rocket is needed by fans & managers  It’s not pretty and it may make a few delicate souls might fall away from a battering from it the strong survive and thrive. If Conor is that mentally weak that fans voicing displeasure at his performance causes him to play even worse then we’re best of rid because he’s not up to it. 

Are you still living in 1982?

Â