Dean Smith

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's still pretty much the same squad

The team was bought wrong before and its still wrong.....we have been trying to fix individual positions, but the overall is wrong.

irrespective of who the mansger is.

Edited by TRO

16 minutes ago, hippo said:

Well Hutton wasn't a Bruce signing either.

I Would be all for giving Smith time if he had done something other than produce leaky defensive mid table teams. But that has followed him here, even with big money spent on a GK , a PL CB in Mings (Cost bournemouth £8-12m) , and a player of his own choosing in Hause. 

Nope, Hutton wasn’t a Bruce signing but he still found himself in the team despite Elmo, Bree, Taylor and even makeshift right back Axel all coming in. So I think it’s fair to say Bruce had come to the conclusion that despite investing in full backs, Hutton was still someone he wanted in the team.

The leaky defence was present before. I’ve pointed out before last season Super defensive minded Bruce’s Villa had 20 clean sheets, Dean “what defence?” Smith’s Brentford had 15. It is a problem, no one is saying otherwise and the back line is going to take time to figure itself out, but to suggest it’s just down to Smith is incorrect in my opinion.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

31.82 win percentage now.

Impressive stuff

Chin up, we’ve got his Walsall and Brentford win percentages to look forward to when he gets his own team in place. 

55 minutes ago, hippo said:

Thats pretty much sacking him though. If has conversations with susso and purslow in which it is indicated they are doubting him, that makes his job even harder. The phrase back me or sack me comes to mind.

That is not clear to me. I would just consider it smart re-evaluation. If you decide to continue with Smith, he would get full backing to shape his squad and the season to develop his style. I think the time for this evaluation is definitely the summer. To back him unequivocally and unquestionably in the summer, as a 'back me or sack me' through sentimental illogical reasoning, only to part company in October, seems counter-productive to me. Furthermore, backing after thorough analysis should, in my opinion, instil Smith with more confidence. I should be clear, I'm not advocating that Smith isn't the man to carry out the rebuild, just that the situation be analysed, based on the new information available. He should to be the best option, of all available options. We need to be ruthless in this regard. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN

A bit Lambert esque over these post reactions.

In the beginning he at least admitted being second best and that he expected more, and i actually applauded him for that. Now he seem more and more deluded for every game, even if we are awful he says we play well.

36 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Well sending out the same players with the same instruction and with the same formation isn't really managing is it

Should he send out the better players that are sat on the bench then? Should Bjarnasson and Jedinak have started today then? 

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for a ‘plan B’, but everyone on here criticising Smith for not having one is criticising all the players in their individual threads.

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

He looks to me like he has given up with some of this group for me. I think he really didn't realise what. A mess we were. In before he came here. 

We were not in a massive mess. He is just a mediocre manager. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Should he send out the better players that are sat on the bench then? Should Bjarnasson and Jedinak have started today then? 

Dont get me wrong, I’m all for a ‘plan B’, but everyone on here criticising Smith for not having one is criticising all the players in their individual threads.

Could they have done less than Hourihane

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is doing a few worrying things for me...

1. He is playing 2 wingers when the midfield is struggling and the wingers have debatable effect....its not working, with any permutation of them.

2. Tammy needs support, he looks knackered holding the line on his own every week, its unfair....his edge is coming off.

3. Players that are struggling, like Hourihane today, should be taken out of the firing line ..his head had gone and Dean took too long to deal with it.....He needs to be more decisive imo and act with Nous.....He should be cruel, to be kind.

Agree 100% with all three above TRO

21 minutes ago, TRO said:

He is doing a few worrying things for me...

1. He is playing 2 wingers when the midfield is struggling and the wingers have debatable effect....its not working, with any permutation of them.

2. Tammy needs support, he looks knackered holding the line on his own every week, its unfair....his edge is coming off.

3. Players that are struggling, like Hourihane today, should be taken out of the firing line ..his head had gone and Dean took too long to deal with it.....He needs to be more decisive imo and act with Nous.....He should be cruel, to be kind.

I agree with all three of these points.

I don't think we have the options in the squad to address them.

• Like 1

Â