Demitri_C

Just now, briny_ear said:

4 wins from 13 games.

Wins:

Hull 3-1

Wigan 3-2

Yeovil 1-0

Rotherham 2-0

Matches played: Hull; Wigan; Yeovil; Ipswich; Brentford; Reading; Burton; Sheff U; Blackburn; Rotherham; Sheff W; Bristol C; Preston.

13 matches.

You can either do 3 wins from 11 league matches as sne did or 4 wins from all 13 matches but 3 from 12 is distorting statistics.

Steve Bruce was sacked because he wasn’t doing well enough. And quite right too. Can’t understand why some people are cherry picking statistics to try to prove his performance was even worse than in reality. Could it be because his successor is barely doing any better?

I suspect some people are accidentally including the Millwall game. I don’t think it’s deliberate cherry picking.

In the same way people seem to be saying it’s currently 1 win in 10 for Smith and forgetting the Swansea game, I’ve pointed that out to a couple of people on here recently. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, TB said:

I'd say Bruce had a far more balanced squad last season, possibly hindered by the manager's defensive mindset, but still able to grind out draws and wins (usually by individual skill). Isn't it reasonable to suggest that a more attack-oriented coach would miss one of the most talented talented/creative players in the squad more?

You can't say Bruce relied on individual bits of skill to grind out wins and draws then in the next sentence make an excuse for Dean Smith because he's incapable of winning without one individual in the side. We was so well organised under Bruce, most the wins we got we deserved it wasn't just bits of luck. 

2 minutes ago, holteend1982 said:

You can't say Bruce relied on individual bits of skill to grind out wins and draws then in the next sentence make an excuse for Dean Smith because he's incapable of winning without one individual in the side. We was so well organised under Bruce, most the wins we got we deserved it wasn't just bits of luck. 

I suggest that you read what I actually wrote once again.

5 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

These dr's should get the same treatment as mourinho's dr got.....fired.....These jobsworths never get it right anyway took them 10 years to sort my acne.

I can't work out whether this is parody.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I suspect some people are accidentally including the Millwall game. I don’t think it’s deliberate cherry picking.

In the same way people seem to be saying it’s currently 1 win in 10 for Smith and forgetting the Swansea game, I’ve pointed that out to a couple of people on here recently. 

Seriously, does it matter? Bruce had a season and half, spent money and had a load of loanees to measure him against. Smith hasn't had such pleasures and, immediately after joining, had us watching the best Villa performances probably since we won 3-1 away at Liverpool in the Premier League! 

Smith may not prove to be up to the task but, before we judge him, at least give him the same time that Bruce had. 

3 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Seriously, does it matter? Bruce had a season and half, spent money and had a load of loanees to measure him against. Smith hasn't had such pleasures and, immediately after joining, had us watching the best Villa performances probably since we won 3-1 away at Liverpool in the Premier League! 

Smith may not prove to be up to the task but, before we judge him, at least give him the same time that Bruce had. 

Erm....I believe I have been?

What a strange post to quote to make your point. 

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Maybe so. Shame in that case the erroneous statistics were asserted with such arrogance and in such a dismissive way. 🙂

51 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

What a joke. Just watched the press conference on youtube.....saw the fear in his eyes. We are so destroyed tomorrow its damage limitation.

Smith again saying the dr's have over ruled him in trying to get Jack on the bench.

These dr's should get the same treatment as mourinho's dr got.....fired.....These jobsworths never get it right anyway took them 10 years to sort my acne. they just want to get their pervy hands up your arse at any opportunity.

give them a white coat and a stethoscope and the power goes to their heads.

and I'm sick of that guy saying "yeah no" all the **** time like total clearing in the woods.

Sorry, I’m confused... the doctors tried to cure your acne by putting their hands up your arse??? 😮 

• Haha 1

Instead of what we want to happen, I'm very interested in what we think will happen. 

I think Smith will get time and while I know the owners are very much an unknown entity, Purslow certainly seemed to want to give Bruce as much time as possible which suggests they'd like longevity and see this as a long term project. 

That being said, something has to be said about our calibre of owner. Sawiris is the majority shareholder in Adidas which I would imagine makes him a very decisive businessman. Edens sacked the Bucks coach last January and they are now 1st in the Eastern Conference. These are men who want success. For all the talk of 'they will give them time' and 'it doesn't matter if we get promoted this season', we are the 3rd richest club in England with two very ambitious owners. They won't want to be 30th in the English standings for long.

Honestly, this is their Di Matteo. Their Houllier. For one reason or another, the first rarely lasts long. I think they'll give him time, but I honestly can't predict it. They could pull the trigger tomorrow, they could keep him for years. I don't think either would surprise me. 

On 13/02/2019 at 21:56, Zatman said:

fully agree, this squad has been ridiculously hyped up on here but is very little quality in it

What i find bizarre is that if you watch any of the vlogs of the opposition fans when playing us they say we have a good squad,  the Sheffield United one i watched said he'd be happy with a draw because of the quality in the squad.  It seems strange how backwards things are surely it should be the Sheffield United fans saying our squad is poor and we should be saying we are great.  But that won't happen because the people that are saying we have a terrible squad are the ones that love Smith and refuse to criticise him. The other strange thing is these same people were the ones saying this is a good squad when Bruce was in charge and using it as a stick to beat him with, then in Smiths honeymoon period was telling anyone who listened that was the reason why they didn't like Bruce because he couldn't use the good squad we have. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stuartc445 said:

What i find bizarre is that if you watch any of the vlogs of the opposition fans when playing us they say we have a good squad,  the Sheffield United one i watched said he'd be happy with a draw because of the quality in the squad.  It seems strange how backwards things are surely it should be the Sheffield United fans saying our squad is poor and we should be saying we are great.  But that won't happen because the people that are saying we have a terrible squad are the ones that love Smith and refuse to criticise him. The other strange thing is these same people were the ones saying this is a good squad when Bruce was in charge and using it as a stick to beat him with, then in Smiths honeymoon period was telling anyone who listened that was the reason why they didn't like Bruce because he couldn't use the good squad we have. 

Last season, everyone thought Sunderland's squad was good enough to challenge for promotion at the start of the season...  They were god awful all the way through...

Do you know what, rather than argue over players or Smith fault, see it for what it really is, which is the season has been bonkers from the get go, there's what I've put it to now.

I've pretty much said to myself: next season in ready for the changes in our team, this season we be lucky to make those play offs let alone beat those teams in the play offs..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sam3773 said:

Instead of what we want to happen, I'm very interested in what we think will happen. 

I think Smith will get time and while I know the owners are very much an unknown entity, Purslow certainly seemed to want to give Bruce as much time as possible which suggests they'd like longevity and see this as a long term project. 

That being said, something has to be said about our calibre of owner. Sawiris is the majority shareholder in Adidas which I would imagine makes him a very decisive businessman. Edens sacked the Bucks coach last January and they are now 1st in the Eastern Conference. These are men who want success. For all the talk of 'they will give them time' and 'it doesn't matter if we get promoted this season', we are the 3rd richest club in England with two very ambitious owners. They won't want to be 30th in the English standings for long.

Honestly, this is their Di Matteo. Their Houllier. For one reason or another, the first rarely lasts long. I think they'll give him time, but I honestly can't predict it. They could pull the trigger tomorrow, they could keep him for years. I don't think either would surprise me. 

Just to be pedantic, Sawiris isn't the majority shareholder in Adidas, he's the biggest shareholder with about 8%, a long way from having the majority.  I get the sense that he and Edens aren't hugely involved in running the club.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

If i went to the doctors with acne and he stuck his hand up my arse i think i would begin to question their methods before 10 years of it had passed ;)

would explain a lot of the confusion and anger issues though

Â