Dean Smith

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Dean Smith doesn’t seem to be able to improve the players he inherited and his additions last month don’t seem to be having much effect something that has surprised me.I thought he would have got Hogan back to his best instead he seams to have given up on him.He looked a man under pressure after the game and unlike him he defended himself with some pretty lame excuses that done him no favours.During his time at Brentford he coached a squad that was mostly made up of young players that were recruited by the DoFs from abroad or from Div1 /2.None of the squad have played previously in the championship or PL.This set up was one of the reasons Warburton left us as he wanted control over transfers (where is he these days)but Dean was very comfortable with it and worked along with the other coaches at improving potential talent and then cashing in on a couple of sales every year to keep the club within FFP and us finish in the  top half every season is seen as success by most fans.This is a complete contrast to his job at Villa and I’m not sure if Dean is going to be allowed  to build his own team or your DOF will get the players in that will need to be of a higher quality and price that he’s been used to if he is going to get you promoted.Word of warning not all our players move on to become super stars look at Hogan and Ryan Woods at Stoke who’s struggling to get a game these days as I’m pretty sure he will bid for some of our players.I hope Dean is successful and gets you promoted and is given time to make it happen. 

Can't polish a turd mate.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I feel sorry for Smith, he's got a squad with no wingers, no full backs and only two central midfielders one of whom is injured. Its a huge job to reverse the damage Bruce has done. 

No wingers ? really ? 

Lets not forget in this division its pretty common for the u23's to be thrown in in the event of financial or injury crisis. Smith has limited his options by closing the door to this route.

Still think he made a mistake not changing the system to a 4-4-2 with Jack out. Especially against Brentford who play with 3 at the back. Tammy and Kodjia would of run riot imo. 

The whole team is lacking confidence at the moment and Jack coming back will lift the whole team so much. I wouldn't be surprised if we went unbeaten for the remainder of the season when he comes back. As well be so much stronger with Ming's.

Here's pretty much what I think happened to Smith

Bildresultat för lost my mojo austin powers gif

And I do think it's the weight of expectations combined with the amount of goals we were shipping thanks to the full back situation than made him revert to a more cautious style with a more defensive oriented midfield.

It's a shame since I don't think it's for the best for him nor us. 

32 minutes ago, hippo said:

No wingers ? really ? 

Lets not forget in this division its pretty common for the u23's to be thrown in in the event of financial or injury crisis. Smith has limited his options by closing the door to this route.

What options?

Adomah, who has looked done at this level for the last 12 months. 

Kodjai, an out of form striker who can only get in the team out wide

El Ghazi, who has moments but is very inconsistent. 

Green, young potential but struggled to play regular football in league 1. 

Where are these amazing options out wide?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

What options?

Adomah, who has looked done at this level for the last 12 months. 

Kodjai, an out of form striker who can only get in the team out wide

El Ghazi, who has moments but is very inconsistent. 

Green, young potential but struggled to play regular football in league 1. 

Where are these amazing options out wide?

The quote was he has no wingers (not the current form of them) 

2 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Dean Smith doesn’t seem to be able to improve the players he inherited and his additions last month don’t seem to be having much effect something that has surprised me.I thought he would have got Hogan back to his best instead he seams to have given up on him.He looked a man under pressure after the game and unlike him he defended himself with some pretty lame excuses that done him no favours.During his time at Brentford he coached a squad that was mostly made up of young players that were recruited by the DoFs from abroad or from Div1 /2.None of the squad have played previously in the championship or PL.This set up was one of the reasons Warburton left us as he wanted control over transfers (where is he these days)but Dean was very comfortable with it and worked along with the other coaches at improving potential talent and then cashing in on a couple of sales every year to keep the club within FFP and us finish in the  top half every season is seen as success by most fans.This is a complete contrast to his job at Villa and I’m not sure if Dean is going to be allowed  to build his own team or your DOF will get the players in that will need to be of a higher quality and price that he’s been used to if he is going to get you promoted.Word of warning not all our players move on to become super stars look at Hogan and Ryan Woods at Stoke who’s struggling to get a game these days as I’m pretty sure he will bid for some of our players.I hope Dean is successful and gets you promoted and is given time to make it happen. 

You talk about the recruitment like the head coach isn't involved in it?! Like they just foisted players on him and told him to coach them. That's completely not how it works. He has the same set up here (apart from your weirdness in having two DOFs), anywhere outside the UK it is normal, but to talk like Smith had nothing to do with the recruitment there is insane. The head coach is integral to identifying what he needs with the DOF, he then consults with the DOF and the scouts about suitable targets they identify. Saying Smith had nothing to do with it is madness.

55 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Still think he made a mistake not changing the system to a 4-4-2 with Jack out. Especially against Brentford who play with 3 at the back. Tammy and Kodjia would of run riot imo. 

He changed it to 4-4-2 when Kodjia came on against Brentford. The switch didn't do much though.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

I feel sorry for Smith, he's got a squad with no wingers, no full backs and only two central midfielders one of whom is injured. Its a huge job to reverse the damage Bruce has done. 

?? Wingers - That’s the one position we have had more than enough cover - bolasie prior to him leaving, El Ghazi, AA, Kodjia, Green & Elmo 

We don’t desperately need a new LB but more wingers

Edited by Mark_1989

This just seem like Paul Lambert all over again i am afraid.

We're gonna build this young and hungry team. Get off to a great start, but realise we aren't good enough for promotion and then in desperation he goes away from his principles and sign experience players because of pressure from the fans.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

This just seem like Paul Lambert all over again i am afraid.

We're gonna build this young and hungry team. Get off to a great start, but realise we aren't good enough for promotion and then in desperation he goes away from his principles and sign experience players because of pressure from the fans.

I have no clue how we are comparing this to Paul Lambert who didn;t have a pot to piss in, with the remit seemingly being to keep us up in the PL.

To having extremely wealthy owners trying to build a long term structure?

In the event that Smith fails (To the glee of the likes of yourself) the system they are trying to create won't suddenly change.

The Head Coach will, but not the vision.

As it is not a quick fix.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Brentfordnylons said:

Brentford went on a 10 match unbeaten run after Mepham came off injured back in December and never played for us again.Thomas Frank had changed to playing 3 central defenders that coincided with that run.Would have thought JT would have had a positive impact on your defence but doesn’t seem to have happened.

He can have, he just needs to be playing in it.

10 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I have no clue how we are comparing this to Paul Lambert who didn;t have a pot to piss in, with the remit seemingly being to keep us up in the PL.

To having extremely wealthy owners trying to build a long term structure?

In the event that Smith fails (To the glee of the likes of yourself) the system they are trying to create won't suddenly change.

The Head Coach will, but not

You can't just splash the cash anymore. There are FFP restrictions.

You can only spend as much as your club generates.

Buying young and "hungry" players is all well and good, but young players doesn't equal good players. I believe we had the youngest squad in the pl at some point under Lambert, but reality is most of them just weren't good enough.

Edited by villalad21

Â