Dean Smith

Demitri_C

54 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Surely Eddie Howe wouid be a better option if we wanted to go down the English route.

Is he leaving Newcastle for England? I don't see him getting the boot at the moment based on their overall form. 

Maybe if they continue to sit outside the top 5  in the league....

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Is he leaving Newcastle for England? I don't see him getting the boot at the moment based on their overall form. 

Maybe if they continue to sit outside the top 5  in the league....

Not now in the future..

Hope he becomes England manager. Think he'd do well. Link up with Jack again and do something similar to his first year at Villa. Get the fans enjoying football again, and actually achieve what his overrated predecessor couldn't.

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Love the consensus that Smith would do a 'decent' job, 'better than Southgate at least', which presumably means winning one or more international tournaments?

Well for a starter smith isn’t going to select kalvin Phillips, maguire or Henderson 😂 he would select Watkins, konsa and Ramsey if fit, which automatically gives you more attacking and match winning options.

he wouldn’t be as defensive or conservative, sometimes in finals you need to be bold. Southgate is doing a good job but hes not beyond criticism 

1 minute ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Well for a starter smith isn’t going to select kalvin Phillips, maguire or Henderson 😂 he would select Watkins, konsa and Ramsey if fit, which automatically gives you more attacking and match winning options.

he wouldn’t be as defensive or conservative, sometimes in finals you need to be bold. Southgate is doing a good job but hes not beyond criticism 

I'm not suggesting he is! I have, if you like, 'turned' on Southgate over the last two windows and I'm now looking forward to him leaving. His continually picking the three players you have identified is a big part of the reason why.

But factually, overall, Southgate has been our most successful manager for decades, if not since Sir Alf himself, so I'm disagreeing with two different propositions all at the same time here, both that Smith would be likely to do a better job than Southgate (it's instead very likely whoever the next manager is will do worse) and secondly that if he *did* manage to do a better job than Southgate, that that would be fairly summarised as only doing 'a decent job, better than Southgate at least', when in fact he would be the highest-achieving England manager in most people's living memory. 

This is all completely academic of course, because absolutely nobody apart from Villa fans thinks Dean Smith should be England manager, and most people would find the idea laughable. 

• Thanks 2

Smith has got no chance of the England job presently, Gerrard would be considered before Smith. If they want another English man then likes of Potter and Howe will probably be top choices, if can't get them, then likes of Steve Cooper and Lee Carsley will come into consideration, the other option is a famous ex player such as Lampard or Gerrard, Lampard would probably be more likely out of those two, I guess hew would be a similar appointment to Southgate, Carrick would be another contender.

For Smith to get the England job will have to go somewhere and do well again first, which could happen but not in time for him to replace Southgate

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

But factually, overall, Southgate has been our most successful manager for decades

Is it also fact that we have some amazing players that past managers never had and also the rest of the international teams are pants bar France?

He gets credit for making them all friends rather that rivals which is a first but tactically we have come up well short when it matters.

Some of the easiest qualifying groups and groups at tournaments.

A home tournament more or less at Euro 2020

Should have left after losing to Italy in the Final now hanging around like a bad smell.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

But factually, overall, Southgate has been our most successful manager for decades

Can't agree with that. 3 tournaments entered, 0 tournaments won makes him factually one of our least successful managers ever. Stats ay.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Love the consensus that Smith would do a 'decent' job, 'better than Southgate at least', which presumably means winning one or more international tournaments?

Problem for DS imo would be same as Southgate, he wouldn't react quickly enough to game flows and make changes either tactically or with personnel to counter.

Was always a massive weakness here although in those days we did have weak benches. However you look at a maestro like Emery who expertly uses 4-5 subs most games either to run down games or give us a plan B.

Next England manager could be Potter tbh. Yes he struggled at Chelsea but we've seen with the issues with Pochettino the structure at the top isn't right to give them success and he's managed in europe and had good improvement at Brighton over a couple of seasons so he'll be in the frame.

Steve Cooper is also a very good shout. Welsh but been in the England coaching set up previously and certainly proven himself at club level in last 3-4 years. He's basically what Brendan Rodgers was a decade ago.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Can't agree with that. 3 tournaments entered, 0 tournaments won makes him factually one of our least successful managers ever. Stats ay.

It's an interesting criteria really. Bobby Robson is generally regarded as a success England manager and yet there were two dismal performances in the Euros he managed, lost all three games at Euro 1988 and I don't even know what happened without looking it up at Euro 1984 but I presume it wasn't very good as no one ever talks about it. However lost a very close World cup QF when Maradona cheated and then were penalties away from making the final in 1990 and the wave of euphoria for the game that followed.

Roy Hodgson probably the only other recent manager to have three tournaments, QFs in 2012 when he came in last minute after Capello walked out and then went out in th groups in Brazil and of course the infamous Iceland result. England were massively in transition in those years but it certainly could be worse.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

With similar favourable tournament draws, yes. Not just Dean Smith but any number of English managers. Southgate is not a good manager. I'd back him to get a decent-sized Championship club relegated. 

Got to say he really did do us proud with the transfers. The ones that were obviously his choices and not Susos

. Ollie Ezri and Ty . He saw the right characters as well as the big potential in all of them.

They are all going to have given nearly 10 years to Villa if they see their contracts out here.

Also bringing JJ through properly. Giving him time to develop and learn his trade while not putting too much pressure on him.

• Like 4

Â