Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, TRO said:

but the traits of it are not resigned to one game...its happened before.

If it was a one off, no one would have concerns.

Its the sort of thing Burnley would do to us or Brighton.

The mentality was poor.

When did it happen before?

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

But they're so funny. Cheers me right up after a loss this thread.

If I enjoy watching us most weeks, I'm alright to be honest.

That may change at some point, perhaps soon, I dunno.

DEAN NEEDS TO MAKE SUBS.

DEAN'S SUBS COST US.

All that^
spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

The thing with those 2 managers is that many of the fans were turning a blind eye to obvious red flags early on in their tenures because they were club legends. Everybody could see that both of those inexperienced managers had their teams playing with no particular patterns of play and relying on individual brilliance to bail them out. Given their world class players, that worked to a point. Eventually their shortcomings become evident even to their blinkered fans as we found out with Steve Bruce, that can only take you so far when you're competing for the top prizes.

It's completely different to Smith who genuinely revolutionized us and progressed us to heights we couldn't even imagine when he took us over. That surely buys him more time, especially after the upheaval of losing our generational talent and talisman and the stop/start preseason we had. Seriously, what do we want as Villa fans? United fans want trophies and they're not getting that, fair enough. What do we want? Unless we want European football this season, I don't see any legitimate reason for the claws to be out.

Don't you think we're a little bit too emotionally attached to him though. I honestly think it's a bit like G***lish here. Some on here and elsewhere had it in their heads he'd never leave us so had mini trauma and tantrums when it happened. Yet after a dodgy few weeks we're probably in similar place in table as if he'd stayed so we've shown in a few games there's very much life in us and can improve in future from his departure like others clubs have when they've lost key players.

Just don't want us to get into the thinking there's no one better out there and we'd just go back to appointing Steve Bruce style managers when we eventually have to get someone else in who could potentially improve us into regularly qualifying for europe and winning us a cup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Bit like how we lost to Chelsea but were much the better team?

We aren't going to be the better side every game, sorry. I mean...we probably were here actually. But football isn't fair sometimes.

If you look at our expected points this season it is 9 so we're actually a point better than we in theory deserve to be. That is really bad.

It's not just the poor results this season but the performances and that's the worry for me because Smith even says himself it's all about performances.

And quite frankly we're playing like sh*t most weeks.Wolves deserved to win today even if our shocking defending did generously allow them 2 goals. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The players are at fault for the loss to Wolves. Not Dean

When we win it’s all Smith, when we lose it’s the players’ fault.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

That's rubbish.

The loss to Chelsea was not shitty, it was a good performance. The loss today and to Watford were shitty because they should not have happened. We cannot keep doing this and it must be rectified. It is not about winning every game and teams that win the league also lose games. It is about delivering results and performances commensurate to the investment, support and resource that are available. We are not doing that. We must fix that and start doing that

A few ago we beat Man U at Old Trafford, this week we lost to Wolves.  I’m as heartbroken as anybody on here, those Holte steps, walking back to the car, stuck in traffic and drive home felt like my world had ended because of that 10 minutes but you aren’t putting a little fairness into your comment.  

As I said we beat Man U at Old Trafford…we just don’t do that do we? We beat Everton, then we’ve been poor against Spurs.  

We are a midtable team, that happens and yes the ten minutes today was awful and my night is ruined but we need to be balanced on the season and not one game…our results are proving we are a midtable team, I’m not sure why people are surprised.  The manner of defeat hurts tonight as it should but I’m not taking away the bigger picture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Great sample size.

Well it's over a fifth of the way into the season. We've played 2 newly promoted sides, 2 midtable sides, a relegation fodder Newcastle, a good side in Spurs and 2 top sides in United and Chelsea.

So yes it is a pretty good sample size and includes a mix of different teams. 

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

If you look at our expected points this season it is 9 so we're actually a point better than we in theory deserve to be. That is really bad.

It's not just the poor results this season but the performances and that's the worry for me because Smith even says himself it's all about performances.

And quite frankly we're playing like sh*t most weeks.Wolves deserved to win today even if our shocking defending did generously allow them 2 goals. 

I checked the xSC (expected silly criticisms) for your post and it was off the charts.

• Haha 3

Just now, VillaChris said:

Don't you think we're a little bit too emotionally attached to him though. I honestly think it's a bit like G***lish here. Some on here and elsewhere had it in their heads he'd never leave us so had mini trauma and tantrums when it happened. Yet after a dodgy few weeks we're probably in similar place in table as if he'd stayed so we've shown in a few games there's very much life in us and can improve in future from his departure like others clubs have when they've lost key players.

Just don't want us to get into the thinking there's no one better out there and we'd just go back to appointing Steve Bruce style managers when we eventually have to get someone else in who could potentially improve us into regularly qualifying for europe and winning us a cup.

There are obviously better managers out there, it's not exactly like he's Klopp or Guardiola. But I don't see the point in discussing replacing him when there's absolutely nothing to warrant it. Unless we can entice Conte or Pochettino to join us, what's the point? Even they can only take us so far with this squad. We're not finishing in the top 6 with or without Smith. 

3 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Good post.

Yep, it's a concern for sure.

I'm certain Smith isn't happy with what we've been doing. Looking forward to Sanson and Bailey getting fully fit.

Big decision for the boss coming up because it looks for all the world like we need a tweak of system and it's his beautiful son Ollie Watkins who needs to be dropped.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

The thing with those 2 managers is that many of the fans were turning a blind eye to obvious red flags early on in their tenures because they were club legends. Everybody could see that both of those inexperienced managers had their teams playing with no particular patterns of play and relying on individual brilliance to bail them out. Given their world class players, that worked to a point. Eventually their shortcomings become evident even to their blinkered fans as we found out with Steve Bruce, that can only take you so far when you're competing for the top prizes.

It's completely different to Smith who genuinely revolutionized us and progressed us to heights we couldn't even imagine when he took us over. That surely buys him more time, especially after the upheaval of losing our generational talent and talisman and the stop/start preseason we had. Seriously, what do we want as Villa fans? United fans want trophies and they're not getting that, fair enough. What do we want? Unless we want European football this season, I don't see any legitimate reason for the claws to be out.

We have Billionaire owners, it's not like the old days under Lerner and Xia. The owners and the board are showing serious ambition and spending serious money, so I would think, expect progression and not to stand still. We are not a club like Southampton Burnley or Newcastle, who's owners just expect to stay in the Prem, we are being pushed and funded to reach European Football and soon enough I would think silverware.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

I dont think you will get anyone like that. I think it will be a relatively unknown overseas coach 

I think that a club like villa could attract someone like that from Brighton irrespective of him being a local lad - villa is still a step up in size and potential . 

Just now, VillaFaninLondon said:

Well it's over a fifth of the way into the season. We've played 2 newly promoted sides, 2 midtable sides, a relegation fodder Newcastle, a good side in Spurs and 2 top sides in United and Chelsea.

So yes it is a pretty good sample size and includes a mix of different teams. 

And we’re 12th, mid table. 3 points from 14th and 2 points from 7th. On goal difference which is an excellent indicator of a teams ability to score and prevent goals, we’re actually joint 10th.

So, around where we expected then?

• Like 1

Just now, Tomaszk said:

Good post.

Yep, it's a concern for sure.

I'm certain Smith isn't happy with what we've been doing. Looking forward to Sanson and Bailey getting fully fit.

Big decision for the boss coming up because it looks for all the world like we need a tweak of system and it's his beautiful son Ollie Watkins who needs to be dropped.

I agree. Either play him from the left or bench him. Danny is performing the better of the 2 right now. I'm actually not as worried about him being on the wing now as it looks like his touch and dribbling have improved this season. Problem is, he's doing it in the middle of the park in dangerous areas.

Just now, Eastie said:

I think that a club like villa could attract someone like that from Brighton irrespective of him being a local lad - villa is still a step up in size and potential . 

and too good for him

Just now, Eastie said:

Agree. 

I just don't thing we would go for a guy like that.

Â